New Mesa amp rumor!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newfinator said:
bluesymetal said:
Wouldn't this be nice:

Channel 1:
Lone Star Cleans ala roadster

Channel 2:
2nd channel of Stilleto raw, tite, fluid

Channel 3:
2 Channel Recto Gain raw, vintage, modern

Channel 4:
Mark IV Lead, complete with EQ

Independent power assigning, and reverb per channel. Each CHannel has it's own loop as well as a master effects loop.

Kinda like taking a roadking and cross breeding a bit.
True that would be great but they're not likely to mix lines to that degree. I expect they wouldn't want to invalidate any existing product lines by making a single all in one package. Something like that could kill off the Road King, Mark, Stiletto and potentially the Lone Star.

i dont think it would kill off any of those amps..... most guitar players are still into one trick ponies meaning they buy a lone star because that amp has all they need or a recto just for the dirty stuff..... i think those amps hold their own.... would there be a market for an amp like that? oh hell yeah but just the thought of production time and price on that puppy would be a deterant in itself for any amp company

Anomaly said:
How about putting a Power Attenuator on the Roadster!! and changing Preamp of channel 3?? would be cool to have a new preamp ala' EngL or Diezel distortion something Tight.

i like the way you think.... i think a built in attenuator and a post-eq like the mark iv should be a must on any recto..... all the critics that say it sounds thin or flubby have never really turned the **** thing up.... thats the beauty of the built in attenuator with the post eq to adjust for some frequency loss

I'm surpised that after all this time, Mesa hasn't stuck an EQ in any of the Recto models since it's been so well received by the Mark fans.

If they release another variation on the Mark amp, I think it would go something like this, a 4 channel, optiopn crazy Mark monster:

Channel 1 - Clean

Lonestar styled clean channel that has a push-pull pot on the Channel 1 Volume knob to choose different clean modes.

Channel 2 - Crunch

Similar to the Crunch on the Mark IV, and all controls are independent this time around. No knob sharing.

Channel 3 - Lead 1

Higher gain lead channel similar to the IIC+ or III. High gain, but not modern high gain. Great for rhythm work.

Channel 4 - Lead 2

Higher gain lead channel similar to the IV, only capable of getting slightly more saturated if needed. The gain on the Mark IV's lead channel when dimed would equate to this channel on about "7." Other features include:

Graphic EQ like normal (possibly a second one), assignable per channel.

Tube rectifiers now included and assignable.

Power tube selection - runs 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's, assignable ala the Road King.

Dual assignable series FX Loops.

Built-in reverb, assignable.

Channel cloning! Channel 1 and 2 could be cloned to each other (giving you 2 cleans or 2 crunch) and Channel 3 and 4 could be cloned to each other (giving you 2 high gain or higher gain leads).

And probably a list price of $2600... :lol:

Silverwulf said:
I'm surpised that after all this time, Mesa hasn't stuck an EQ in any of the Recto models since it's been so well received by the Mark fans.

If they release another variation on the Mark amp, I think it would go something like this, a 4 channel, optiopn crazy Mark monster:

Channel 1 - Clean

Lonestar styled clean channel that has a push-pull pot on the Channel 1 Volume knob to choose different clean modes.

Channel 2 - Crunch

Similar to the Crunch on the Mark IV, and all controls are independent this time around. No knob sharing.

Channel 3 - Lead 1

Higher gain lead channel similar to the IIC+ or III. High gain, but not modern high gain. Great for rhythm work.

Channel 4 - Lead 2

Higher gain lead channel similar to the IV, only capable of getting slightly more saturated if needed. The gain on the Mark IV's lead channel when dimed would equate to this channel on about "7." Other features include:

Graphic EQ like normal (possibly a second one), assignable per channel.

Tube rectifiers now included and assignable.

Power tube selection - runs 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's, assignable ala the Road King.

Dual assignable series FX Loops.

Built-in reverb, assignable.

Channel cloning! Channel 1 and 2 could be cloned to each other (giving you 2 cleans or 2 crunch) and Channel 3 and 4 could be cloned to each other (giving you 2 high gain or higher gain leads).

And probably a list price of $2600... :lol:

So it would basically be the same thing as a Roadking but with features of the Mark IV. I don't see Mesa doing anything like that. I think that whatever they introduce will be a stripped down version of something. Just my .02 cents.

Yep. I'd like a LSS with a clean channel. Just volume.

Why in hell would you need two channels with gain. What this amp needs is a clean you can crank to get power tube distortion. Or get some real headroom out of.

For the life of me, I've never understood why the LSS was designed that way. That's why I'm still using my Blue Angel with a tubescreamer, I guess.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I would think the end of the Mark IV is defintiely near. Let's face it, as previously said here, it's not the most popular amp in their inventory. The Rectifier changed the face of rock music in the 90's and is still going strong with variations after 16 years. Kids coming into their own these days playing everything from modern rock to death metal are still buying up Rectos by the truckload. However, the Mark IV has taken a backseat. It's probably been almost 10 years since I actually saw a Mark IV in a store, and when I asked about it, I was constantly told "We had one here for a couple years. It just collected dust and no one was ever interested in it, so we don't carry them anymore. We can order you one, though."

Everything changes over time. Just look at the Recto, released just a year or so after the Mark IV. Since it's release, it went through 5 revisions as a 2 channel, then it was discontinued to launch the 3 channel series. Then the Road King was made, and it was discontinued for an updated Road King II, along with a stripped down Roadster that was made. Along the way they also made rack versions in the Mesa Rectifier Preamp and 2:100 Power Amp. All of this happened in the same span of time that the Mark IV has been around, with sales paling in comparison to the Rectos.

With that said, I think it's time for an update. The Mark series was getting continuouly made over for a while - Mark I, Mark IIA-IIB-IIC-IIC+, Mark III Blue, Green, Red, Purple, and Black Dot/No Stripe revisions with Studio Pres, Quad preamps, etc...then finally they released the Mark IV and Triaxis...and they hit a brick wall, taking their focus completely off of them.

Where before, they were constantly putting R&D into the Mark design and "improving" it, it seems once the Recto hit the scene and became the new "it" amp, that's where their attention started to be focused. With it's massive success, it's no wonder that the Mark series has sat idle for pushing 2 decades.

But now with the Recto series still in full swing 16 years ater, and the Fender-ish Lonestar and Marshall-esque Stilettos picking up steam, I guess it was time to revisit old faithful and give it some much needed attention. Will they update it as a Mark V? Strip it down as a different variation? Who knows, but I have my doubts the Mark series would ever go completely away, and regardless of whether we think the Mark IV is good as is, there's no denying it's time for an update to maybe re-energize a series that has been long neglected.

I wouldn't worry about Mark IV prices going insane. Unlike the IIC+ which was produced for only a short time, the Mark IV will have been produced for about 17 years with more of them floating around than we can count. If anything, if it's replacement is any good, you'll likely see the prices come down on Mark IV's to reasonable levels.

Silverwulf said:
I would think the end of the Mark IV is defintiely near. Let's face it, as previously said here, it's not the most popular amp in their inventory. The Rectifier changed the face of rock music in the 90's and is still going strong with variations after 16 years. Kids coming into their own these days playing everything from modern rock to death metal are still buying up Rectos by the truckload. However, the Mark IV has taken a backseat. It's probably been almost 10 years since I actually saw a Mark IV in a store, and when I asked about it, I was constantly told "We had one here for a couple years. It just collected dust and no one was ever interested in it, so we don't carry them anymore. We can order you one, though."

Everything changes over time. Just look at the Recto, released just a year or so after the Mark IV. Since it's release, it went through 5 revisions as a 2 channel, then it was discontinued to launch the 3 channel series. Then the Road King was made, and it was discontinued for an updated Road King II, along with a stripped down Roadster that was made. Along the way they also made rack versions in the Mesa Rectifier Preamp and 2:100 Power Amp. All of this happened in the same span of time that the Mark IV has been around, with sales paling in comparison to the Rectos.

With that said, I think it's time for an update. The Mark series was getting continuouly made over for a while - Mark I, Mark IIA-IIB-IIC-IIC+, Mark III Blue, Green, Red, Purple, and Black Dot/No Stripe revisions with Studio Pres, Quad preamps, etc...then finally they released the Mark IV and Triaxis...and they hit a brick wall, taking their focus completely off of them.

Where before, they were constantly putting R&D into the Mark design and "improving" it, it seems once the Recto hit the scene and became the new "it" amp, that's where their attention started to be focused. With it's massive success, it's no wonder that the Mark series has sat idle for pushing 2 decades.

But now with the Recto series still in full swing 16 years ater, and the Fender-ish Lonestar and Marshall-esque Stilettos picking up steam, I guess it was time to revisit old faithful and give it some much needed attention. Will they update it as a Mark V? Strip it down as a different variation? Who knows, but I have my doubts the Mark series would ever go completely away, and regardless of whether we think the Mark IV is good as is, there's no denying it's time for an update to maybe re-energize a series that has been long neglected.

I wouldn't worry about Mark IV prices going insane. Unlike the IIC+ which was produced for only a short time, the Mark IV will have been produced for about 17 years with more of them floating around than we can count. If anything, if it's replacement is any good, you'll likely see the prices come down on Mark IV's to reasonable levels.

+1 That was a good post.

Silverwulf said:

Good post. I think the interesting question is who the target market would be for an update to the Mark series? As you laid out, the Recto series is still strong, as are the Stilettos and Lonestars.

So if we take the conversation from a product discussion to a market discussion, who would Mesa target with the Mark? What is the size of that market? I don't know the answers, but I think there has to be a large enough market there to capture enough $ to bring a decent ROI on the R&D.

For example, they could position it in the boutique space, but then they need to have a weighted production cost to compete with other boutique mfgs. (I have no idea if they do or not.)

Any thoughts?

simonich said:
Silverwulf said:

Good post. I think the interesting question is who the target market would be for an update to the Mark series? As you laid out, the Recto series is still strong, as are the Stilettos and Lonestars.

So if we take the conversation from a product discussion to a market discussion, who would Mesa target with the Mark? What is the size of that market? I don't know the answers, but I think there has to be a large enough market there to capture enough $ to bring a decent ROI on the R&D.

For example, they could position it in the boutique space, but then they need to have a weighted production cost to compete with other boutique mfgs. (I have no idea if they do or not.)

Any thoughts?

Mesa will never do away with the mark series . Thats where they came from . Its not my imagination, there is a renewed interest in the mark series . I'm sure you're going to see something happen there . lets be patient and see what comes out of the oven .

Silverwulf said:
Channel 2 - Crunch

Maybe it's just me and the people I know, but I think there are MUCH better clean channels than the Mark IV's, and most people I know agree. It's not bad, necessarily, but it certainly could be better. Maybe something with a more Marshall flavor.

GodBlessTexas said:
Silverwulf said:
Channel 2 - Crunch

Maybe it's just me and the people I know, but I think there are MUCH better clean channels than the Mark IV's, and most people I know agree. It's not bad, necessarily, but it certainly could be better. Maybe something with a more Marshall flavor.

I suspect if there is a Mark V on the horizon you will see a change in the clean channel . Possibly Lone Starish . There has been alot of R&D breakthrough since the inception of the mark IV

Very well put, Silverwulf.

On the Mark IV note, and this might sound very stupid and vein, but I think the sex appeal of the Mark IV is lacking. Sure, the idea sounds stupid because "we're all about the tone, man" but lets face it, a lot of what goes into sales and marketing in any industry is appearance. Sad, but true. I personally don't care what my amp looks like, but yet for some reason I still ordered a custom Roadster head. And if looks didn't matter, we would all be playing solid black guitars, right?

The Mark series has always had a very clean and practical lay-out. A total revamp for the Mark IV might spawn some more interest and create more demand for that amp. I think if they upgrade the Mark IV, it will come with a facelift. Just look at the Stiletto. The Stiletto is even flashier than the Recto's. When and if I buy a Stiletto Deuce, I would actually pay extra to have a toned-down looking Stiletto.

This is all just one man's opinion, of course. Just trying to put an different spin on an interesting topic. :wink:

G.I.G. said:
Very well put, Silverwulf.

On the Mark IV note, and this might sound very stupid and vein, but I think the sex appeal of the Mark IV is lacking. Sure, the idea sounds stupid because "we're all about the tone, man" but lets face it, a lot of what goes into sales and marketing in any industry is appearance. Sad, but true. I personally don't care what my amp looks like, but yet for some reason I still ordered a custom Roadster head. And if looks didn't matter, we would all be playing solid black guitars, right?

The Mark series has always had a very clean and practical lay-out. A total revamp for the Mark IV might spawn some more interest and create more demand for that amp. I think if they upgrade the Mark IV, it will come with a facelift. Just look at the Stiletto. The Stiletto is even flashier than the Recto's. When and if I buy a Stiletto Deuce, I would actually pay extra to have a toned-down looking Stiletto.

This is all just one man's opinion, of course. Just trying to put an different spin on an interesting topic. :wink:
Sad but true. I love the look of the Roadster but, by comparison, the Mark IV, as practical as it may be, looks like a piece of lab equipment from the 70's.

GodBlessTexas said:
Silverwulf said:
Maybe something with a more Marshall flavor.

Uh? It's a Boogie Flavor, Duh! :shock:

You wouldn't add more salt to an ingredient if it is meant to be sweet.....if you want Marshall, then you buy Marshal.... :roll:

...and BTW, the Mark IV clean is one of the best in a High Gain Channel switcher.

I think it's pretty frustrating that you really have to go out of your way to find a Mark IV in store now, new. I've only seen a couple of used ones here and there (and far between).

But that may be a sign. Maybe they're trying to starve us for something new.

But a recto with 5-band GEQ... Holy GAS, Batman! And Pull-Bright!

The next Mark . . .

Some astute observations, and predictions here . . . the apparent market success of Mesa's current product line, the Lonestar and Stilleto series, signal new directions for the modern Mesa line. As for the old guard, the Recto is a rock-solid, staple product that IMO, is unlikely to meet with any change, internally or cosmetically. The Marks, however are certainly the product most likely to change. I view the Mark series as the perfect studio/recording amp. There's so many ways Mesa could choose to go with the "next" Mark, if there even is one. I, frankly, am paranoid enough that they'll "ruin" SOMETHING on the current Mark line by "improving" it. I'm sure I'll be proven horribly wrong, but I thought it best to buy the last new Mark IV rackmount in California, just in case.

As far as cosmetics, in a conventional shell, the Marks can look somewhat dated. But, throw a Mark-series, short-chassis into a rackmount kit, and it turns into lean, mean, and understatedly beautiful piece of gear. IMO, the Stilletos are a bit overly decorative for my tastes. The Rectos are just right. Tough and aggressive, with simple, good-looks, accented by their chromed or black-chromed, diamond-plate faces.

The Roadkings and Roadsters seemed a natural extension of the Recto line. Perhaps a jazzed-up version of the Mark series in an RK-style presentation is what they're up to. However, if they so choose to ditch the GEQ for whatever reason, they'll never hear the end of it, and everyone will be happy as hell to still have their current Marks!

According to a brief discussion with some Mesa people, new financial management is engouraging some product line changes as well. The confirmed end-of-production-run of the short-head Mark IV, and therefore, all Mesa rackmount heads (excluding rack gear), indicates a more streamlined product line. With that, Mesa is likely to standardize on one or two chassis sizes per product to benefit the company's inventory efficiency and profitability. Would've loved to have had a rackmount Recto also (plan to throw my DC-3 head into a rackmount kit as well someday), but those I saw online were too beat-up looking, since they haven't made short-chassis Rectos for years. I think rackmount heads are way cool, but apparently, their specialized demand makes for only a small share of the overall market. Oh well . . .

Anyway, here's to the next-generation in the venerable Mesa/Boogie line . . . the "StilletoStar-RoadMark Plus Series III!"

it wouldn't surprise me if a new "mark" series comes out using the same chassis dimensions that the LoneStar and Stilettos seem to be using. I don't have a Stiletto but it looks to be the same chassis size as the Lonestar. It might be they are just getting rid of the angled front cabinet deisgns. If thats the case, then it should be possible to have a rackmount kit that fits any of those amps and any new "mark" amp, which would be pretty cool. The LS chassis definately fits in a short head, given that I have one. :)

Latest posts

Back