New Mesa amp rumor!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
visualrocker69 said:
mystidream said:
On another note, I'd hate to see the Mark IV's climb up in price like the IIC+'s have. Screw that. Haha.

Yeah, 'cause, an amp that was produced for 17 years is obviously going to be as rare as one that was produced for 1.5 years :roll:

I was kidding. Obviously. LOL.

GodBlessTexas said:
Turumbar82 said:
On the other hand, a more logically laid out Mark would be great. I love my Mark IV, but it's really obnoxiously complex to dial in compared to other amps. It does sound great, but that complexity has turned off many a tube amp owner.

If fickle Mark IV owners start selling theirs off to buy a Mark V, I'll be picking up at least one more Mark IV. 8)

+1 they are a pain to dail in. all i can see them adding to make a mark V is just more crap. now if they take away all the crap then that might spark my attention more. i'm not knocking the mark IV it is a great amp, but when i had one i couldn't stand all the bells and whitsles. the same with my old rectifiers.

Back in January I had a guy come up after a gig and say "Boogie, huh?" referreing to my TA. He talked while I was packing up and I mentioned that I had a Mark IV as well. He told me that he had just gotten a Mark V with a hardwood cabinet off of ebay. I told him that no, he didn't. He insisted and I told him I'd bet him $1000 he didn't...All this time I thought he was full of sh!t. Whooda thunk??? :oops:

I guess that's why I never got the cash - I must owe him instead. Don't tell him I'm here. :)

I'll just throw a "what-if" out there...

What if Smith and co. are really over the Mark series. Really, think about it...Mesa has been moving in other directions. Yes, the Mark IV is a great amp, but the company has been developing a lot of other amps in the meantime. The Mark has been a great cash cow and totem for the company, but times are changing. I'm not talking about the following the Mark series has, I'm just looking at where Mesa is putting their time and effort. The LSS, Roadster, Stiletto...I think they're moving away from the Mark altogether. Read interviews where Smith goes on and on about Class A...is he talking about simulclass? Nope, just pure Class A. He seems more excited about the simple things these days.

Now I'll also say that Mesa has come out with some wild complicated amps with the Roadster and Road King, but really, stuffing 4 amps in one box really isn't that complicated. Each channel is it's own amp, if that makes any sense. I needed a slide-rule to even attempt to dial in a Mark. If a Mark V hits, I'd expect it to be a VERY scaled down, high gain amp. Three channels at the most, and I would say that would be pushing it. What would be the best move for Mesa? Maybe a single channel, high-gain amplifier with a 5 band EQ with a smaller price tag? If they priced it in the range of the single rectifier, I think they'd make a killing and end up with an even larger following and a wider customer base to unleash a more "complicated" mark in about 5-10 years.

twostring said:
I'll just throw a "what-if" out there...
What if Smith and co. are really over the Mark series.

There are really only two ways to "read " the discontinuation of the IV.

One as you said... they are done with Marks, which would also mean that the sales don't justify keeping them in the lineup. It could be that Marks just arn't selling well anymore, and the fact that nobody seems willing to stock them and Mesa has only been building to order might kind of bear that out.

Two, they have a replacement in mind. I'm hoping for this option, as I'd hate to see the line that started Mesa go away. If they do, the more I think about it, the more I'd like them to cut the bells and whistles from the IV and just try to make the best sounding Mark they can. 2 channels with seperate IQ: killer clean ( and maybe a switchable boost drive), and a classic Mark Lead channel would be great. I don't really need "clean", "crunch", and "lead" if the amp is dynamic enough to clean up well by the guitar controls. So far the IIC+ seems the best at this.... it's pretty easy to leave that amp in the lead channel mode and get nearly everything you need from the guitars volume control.

Mesa will never discontinue the Mark series . Its the mesa poster child and what put them on the map . It started the boutique amp business . Also i definately see alot more interest in the marks lately . Alot of Mesa amps have come and gone over the years but not the mark . Having said that, keep your eye on the mark .

wow, i was just about to special order a road king II from boogie
hmm, might wait after these news, can never know what is gonna come out :)

4 channel with Lonestar cleans and reverb but with Mark series crunch/lead voicings...what else could it be?

The Mark IV is not hard to dial in...you just have to know how to work the controls. I have never understood this attack on the IV. My VCR is harder to program.

phyrexia said:
The Mark IV is not hard to dial in...you just have to know how to work the controls. I have never understood this attack on the IV. My VCR is harder to program.

I couldn't agree more!!!
When I got my MKIV for the first time it took me less then a minute to dial in a GREAT tone!

Wouldn't this be nice:

Channel 1:
Lone Star Cleans ala roadster

Channel 2:
2nd channel of Stilleto raw, tite, fluid

Channel 3:
2 Channel Recto Gain raw, vintage, modern

Channel 4:
Mark IV Lead, complete with EQ

Independent power assigning, and reverb per channel. Each CHannel has it's own loop as well as a master effects loop.

Kinda like taking a roadking and cross breeding a bit.

bluesymetal said:
Wouldn't this be nice:

Channel 1:

Channel 2:

Channel 3:

Channel 4:

Independent power assigning, and reverb per channel. Each CHannel has it's own loop as well as a master effects loop.

True that would be great but they're not likely to mix lines to that degree. I expect they wouldn't want to invalidate any existing product lines by making a single all in one package. Something like that could kill off the Road King, Mark, Stiletto and potentially the Lone Star.

4 channel with Lonestar cleans and reverb but with Mark series crunch/lead voicings...what else could it be?

That means that it will have that crappy reverb delay when switching channels.

The only thing I hate, and I do mean hate, about my LSS is the reverb delay.

I would be extremely happy with the LSS Clean and a Tremoverb lead, with Solo, no delay in Reverb when switching channels and maybe the GEQ.

man Monsta that reverb has you ticked. hopefully they fix things they hear about...but as was posted previously I also don't see them mixing product lines in the gain department...think of all the ticked off musicians on this board alone-as well as a drop in sales..but having pristine cleans with assorted crunch/lead voicing options would be too good to be true! Kinda like a mini-traxis (with knobs) in an amphead...

bluesymetal said:
Wouldn't this be nice:

Channel 1:

Channel 2:

Channel 3:

Channel 4:

Good!! So we will have a Fender, a Soldano, a Marshall and a Boogie. In order to have the big 3 American and the 3 big British sounds together in one amp, how about a Vox (Channel 5) and an Orange (Channel 6)??? :lol:

igfraso said:
Good!! So we will have a Fender, a Soldano, a Marshall and a Boogie. In order to have the big 3 American and the 3 big British sounds together in one amp, how about a Vox (Channel 5) and an Orange (Channel 6)??? :lol:

will it still fit in a short head?

Hi. I am new to the forum but I thought I would share a conversation I had with my amp guy today. I recently bought a Lss roughly a month ago & I have not been satisfied Becuse it breaks up pretty easy at higher volumes. Come to find out it is supposed to !! Any way I bought if from GC in Okc so I called my guy and told him I wanted an Lsc about a week ago When I called today he told me he had talked to Mesa & they are currently out of Lsc But will soon Be coming out with the Lonestar II He is supposed to call me back and let me know what the time frame will be . & if I have to return my Lss or keep it until the new amp comes in. So take it for what it is worth But that is what I was told !!

igfraso said:
bluesymetal said:
Wouldn't this be nice:

Channel 1:

Channel 2:

Channel 3:

Channel 4:

Hey it can't hurt to dream... :oops:

Latest posts

Back