I want my Mark V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phyrexia said:
i'm taking this time to figure out how my rig will change when I get the V.

I am going to get rid of my pedalboard and get a rack tuner, power conditioner, G-Major (or equivalent), a GCX, and a Ground Control Pro. I think. This will control the Mark V and I will giggle uncontrollably every time I change patches.

Might go Wireless too :p

That sounds way cool mon! So, with this setup, one could have several different delays for instance, programmed for different channels on the amp? What I mean is, you could have say, a slap back delay + the clean channel for one patch. Then another one with a long delay + chorus + the clean channel on another, and so on with the other channels, performed with one button stomp, right? Thanks.

The plan:
The guitar signal is fed into the GCX. From here, it can be looped into a number of effects pedals (in my case, a tube screamer, a fuzz pedal, a compressor) before it enters the input of the amplifier. Then, the effects loop of the amp goes into the G-Major or equivalent. This would be controlled with a MIDI foot controller - likely either an FCB1010 or the Ground Control Pro ('cause you can name patches with the GCP but not with the Behringer). A volume and expression pedal are going to be plugged into the GCP to further control the rack effects unit.

The GCX will essentially be set up in this manner: http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/05-Pedals_FXLoop_3Channel_Amp Switching.pdf

The only differences are the effects loop and the switching. The V has a serial loop and so the FX Loop portion of that diagram will be slightly different. Furthermore the external switching on the V works differently than a Dual Rec (which this diagram is modeled after). The V has Chan 2, Chan 3, Solo, and EQ external switching jacks (to access channel one, you just need to turn off channel two and three.)

So you can see by that diagram that I will be able to change channels, use the solo boost, and activate the EQ with the switching unit. Furthermore, the foot controller will be able to change the patches on the rack effect unit and activate the loops in the GCX.

So in a word, Yes. I'll be able to have a clean chorused sound with slapback and a dirty rhythm sound with heavy reverb and phaser and a lead sound with two voices of pitch shifting and parallel delays with reverb and wah and chorus. :mrgreen: :lol:

But really, I can have 200 patches or something silly like that. So I can have 50 different clean patches, all with different effect selections and parameters, 50 dirty patches, and 100 lead patches. :shock:

I think I can set it up to have the ability to switch between patches with some buttons while retaining the ability to turn off individual effects with others. So I'll have a "Man in the Box" Patch with dirty rhythm with wah, no verb for intro, clean channel with tube screamer for prechorus, lead channel with just verb and EQ for choruses, lead channel with chorus, delay, reverb, wah, no EQ, for the solo.

Then eventually, I'll buy a Stereo 2:50 and convert the whole rig to wet/dry/wet with two thieles running my wet signal (in stereo, of course) and the V combo running my dry signal. And that will be the ****, my friends.

:lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

Shang Chi 66 said:
That sounds way cool mon! So, with this setup, one could have several different delays for instance, programmed for different channels on the amp? What I mean is, you could have say, a slap back delay + the clean channel for one patch. Then another one with a long delay + chorus + the clean channel on another, and so on with the other channels, performed with one button stomp, right? Thanks.

phyrexia said:
The plan:
The guitar signal is fed into the GCX. From here, it can be looped into a number of effects pedals (in my case, a tube screamer, a fuzz pedal, a compressor) before it enters the input of the amplifier. Then, the effects loop of the amp goes into the G-Major or equivalent. This would be controlled with a MIDI foot controller - likely either an FCB1010 or the Ground Control Pro ('cause you can name patches with the GCP but not with the Behringer). A volume and expression pedal are going to be plugged into the GCP to further control the rack effects unit.

The GCX will essentially be set up in this manner: http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/05-Pedals_FXLoop_3Channel_Amp Switching.pdf

The only differences are the effects loop and the switching. The V has a serial loop and so the FX Loop portion of that diagram will be slightly different. Furthermore the external switching on the V works differently than a Dual Rec (which this diagram is modeled after). The V has Chan 2, Chan 3, Solo, and EQ external switching jacks (to access channel one, you just need to turn off channel two and three.)

So you can see by that diagram that I will be able to change channels, use the solo boost, and activate the EQ with the switching unit. Furthermore, the foot controller will be able to change the patches on the rack effect unit and activate the loops in the GCX.

So in a word, Yes. I'll be able to have a clean chorused sound with slapback and a dirty rhythm sound with heavy reverb and phaser and a lead sound with two voices of pitch shifting and parallel delays with reverb and wah and chorus. :mrgreen: :lol:

But really, I can have 200 patches or something silly like that. So I can have 50 different clean patches, all with different effect selections and parameters, 50 dirty patches, and 100 lead patches. :shock:

I think I can set it up to have the ability to switch between patches with some buttons while retaining the ability to turn off individual effects with others. So I'll have a "Man in the Box" Patch with dirty rhythm with wah, no verb for intro, clean channel with tube screamer for prechorus, lead channel with just verb and EQ for choruses, lead channel with chorus, delay, reverb, wah, no EQ, for the solo.

Then eventually, I'll buy a Stereo 2:50 and convert the whole rig to wet/dry/wet with two thieles running my wet signal (in stereo, of course) and the V combo running my dry signal. And that will be the sh!t, my friends.

:lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

Shang Chi 66 said:

Wow, and thanks. Talk about options, and uber flexability! Sounds like an excellent plan, and the makings of a great rig guy. You,ll have to let us know how that turns out once you have it all together...starting with an amp of course, :lol: !

So you don't have to have your guitar signal running through a tuner before it hits your amp. And you have the option to mute the amp with the footswitch. It would be useful in a larger setup, like I described earlier. What don't you understand?

phyrexia said:
So you don't have to have your guitar signal running through a tuner before it hits your amp.

Seriously - that is the best reason - if you're a bona-fide cork-sniffing tone snob. It's not for the EMG folks though...

One of the many great tips I picked up from John Petrucci when the Mark IV's were young was using the recording output as a tuner output. That way the signal was on all the time and it didn't impact anything else in the chain. Of course you could not mute the signal via remote. That is why I think the V is the next step in that evolution. BUT, the only way to mute the signal on the V is via the footswitch. I'm kind of bummed about that. They should have stuck an extra external jack to do that.

Went to Hollywood Mesa store and played the Mark V combo. Instantly knew that I had to have it. Sound was great from Funk to Thunk on the tele and the LP style guitars I played it with. I need an amp that is compact - versatile - easy to dial in and can go from Nile Rodgers style cleans to God-Took-A-****-On-My-Head style dirt. But mostly I live in the middle grey area of channel 2. I must say - I am eagerly awaiting this amp. Having no ties to the other boogies or their distinctive sounds - I just love the tones I got from this amp and was not intimidated at all by the layout. I think Boogie nailed it on this one and I am proud to be - finally - a part of the Mesa Boogie family.

Now can anyone here explain to me how they use the "record out" line on these things? :wink:

Uncle Muscles said:
Went to Hollywood Mesa store and played the Mark V combo. Instantly knew that I had to have it. Sound was great from Funk to Thunk on the tele and the LP style guitars I played it with. I need an amp that is compact - versatile - easy to dial in and can go from Nile Rodgers style cleans to God-Took-A-sh!t-On-My-Head style dirt. But mostly I live in the middle grey area of channel 2. I must say - I am eagerly awaiting this amp. Having no ties to the other boogies or their distinctive sounds - I just love the tones I got from this amp and was not intimidated at all by the layout. I think Boogie nailed it on this one and I am proud to be - finally - a part of the Mesa Boogie family.

Now can anyone here explain to me how they use the "record out" line on these things? :wink:

Welcome aboard. But i can guarantee you this, the mark V head on a good 2x12 will smoke the tone that comes from the combo. And IMHO, a head and a 2x12 are actually easier to mover around than a combo that weights close to 100lbs.

I never use the record out but years ago i did some gigs and my soundman decided to try to record out from a DC-5 head i was using straight into the board and it sounded pretty good.

danyeo1 said:
And IMHO, a head and a 2x12 are actually easier to mover around than a combo that weights close to 100lbs.

+1. i had a mark iv combo, even with casters, it ain't worth it if you need to transport a lot...

I was in my dealer's store and he gave me updated Mark V shipping info. Mesa told them ALL combos will be ran before they switch to production of heads. I am to expect my head at the end of June now. July 4 was always my prediction and it's looking to be that way................. :|

MarkIVwidebody said:
I was in my dealer's store and he gave me updated Mark V shipping info. Mesa told them ALL combos will be ran before they switch to production of heads. I am to expect my head at the end of June now. July 4 was always my prediction and it's looking to be that way................. :|

I hate it when I'm right...but that's what I had said many posts ago. :shock:

MarkIVwidebody said:

That's BS if that's true. Why make the combos first since i would imagine there's a lot more people waiting for the heads? Combos should be special order to begin with IMHO, they sound like garbage anyway.

Can you tell I'm mad?

JAZZGEAR said:
MarkIVwidebody said:

I hate it when I'm right...but that's what I had said many posts ago. :shock:

This most likely is true...but not for everywhere. So certain folks can relax. Beyond this, I was sworn to secrecy. Let,s just say, some folks waiting for heads will not have to wait as long as some others.

danyeo1 said:
MarkIVwidebody said:

That's BS if that's true. Why make the combos first since i would imagine there's a lot more people waiting for the heads? Combos should be special order to begin with IMHO, they sound like garbage anyway.

Can you tell I'm mad?

It takes a bunch to make Dan mad... He waited in a parking lot for almost two hours past when we were to meet for a sale because I'm an idiot.

Of course some will get their heads earlier than say, myself. My order was only 3 weeks ago so that puts me at July 1. Hopefully if you ordered March 1 you could get yours by May 17? Only time will tell. One thing I know, dealer told me multiple times/have seen others mention it over and over, the combos ARE in production.
They will make them before going to heads. I didn't have a guess on how many but now it's going to be ALL of the combos for the year (if Mesa rep told my dealer the truth) Oh, the agony...........at least I played for 2 hours today.

Latest posts

Back