The Mark V90, Longest running Mark Series to date

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to think of it, mine does not run either. If it had casters, I am sure it would at least roll a bit, on a steep hill, that would be interesting, wonder how far it would go before falling over.

I am not trying to make a rumor out of this, it is just an observation. It will be interesting to see how things pan out in 2024. Perhaps after 14 years it is time to phase it out since they now have the new Mark VII. I would not be surprised if other changes take place in 2024. Curious to see what happens next.
Well, I think they officially stopped production on the Mark IV before the Mark V came out, but there were certainly still amps in stock in various places. However if Sweetwater isn't even taking orders for the Mark V, it may mean that Mesa already has all the orders for the Mark V to use up the remaining stock of Chassis, transformers, etc that they have. We'll find out eventually.

Well, I think they officially stopped production on the Mark IV before the Mark V came out, but there were certainly still amps in stock in various places. However if Sweetwater isn't even taking orders for the Mark V, it may mean that Mesa already has all the orders for the Mark V to use up the remaining stock of Chassis, transformers, etc that they have. We'll find out eventually.
My guess is that they have had a date in mind for a cut off for the V:90, will do a last order build and that will be it. I'd be surprised if they stopped production of the V:35. They will retain parts a decent stockpile of parts for V:90 servicing, but that model is destined to just fade away.

I am getting the feeling that the Mark V90 will be fading out soon. I cannot seem to find the Mark V90 listed on many sites that sell the Mesa product. Also, Mesa has it marked as a reduced price for the 90W head. Sort of those signs to eliminate inventory before they drop the product. I will not miss it. The mini Marks like the V:25 or V:35 may still be lingering around for a while. I have no concrete proof the Mark V90 is going away. I am just seeing those details that may suggest it is on the way-out sort of like they did with the Express and Lone-Star shortly after the Filmore product has been in production.
I've been noticing the same thing myself and it really does look like they will be phased out in the near future.

I had purchased a new one earlier this year from a company that honored the $2799 price (with tax and shipping included) after the $350 price spike up to $3149.

I had figured that I wouldn't lose much if I decided I didn't want the amp after getting a MKVII.

Unfortunately, the new price has been lowered and there looks to be a lot more of them for sale these days.

The MKV can sound pretty good with the right tubes so I'll keep it for the time being and experiment with it during the summer when I have more time.

I absolutely LOVE my MKV:90!!!
BUT....
Does the MKVII give you more?
A lot of that is going to depend on what you are looking for in an amplifier. The Mark VII is a more modern amp, which introduces features that the latest Mesa offerings have had. It has a build in Cabclone IR, and each channel has its own setting. It also has MIDI switching capability, so it can be more easily integrated into a MIDI setup. Both of these would also be possible with the Mark V using items like the Cabclone IR and the MIDI Matrix or something similar, but that means you have an additional cost, and setup time.

On the Modes side, that is kind of a toss up. It depends on which modes you like the best. The mark V definitely has more Modes, but the mark VII duplicated the FAT and CRUNCH modes on channels 1 and two, so you have a bit more flexibility in setting up your amp, at the cost of some versatility. The Mark V has the channels pretty much set up as Clean, Rhythm / Lower gain Lead, and Mark series Fury. The Mark VII has both clean and dirty options on channels 1 and two, and puts the classic Mark Sounds on channel 3. BUT, it also puts the new Mark VII mode on Channel 2, so you can have it WITH also having the Mark modes on Channel 3. So I guess you get a different kind of versatility with the Mark VII, which is that while you have less modes, you can set up the amp in a larger variety of basic formats.

Where you LOSE functionality is the previously mentioned versatility, as well as things like the power amp and overall volume controls, as well as the EQ. Each of the channels has a further voicing switch to modify some or all of the modes. The Mark V has the "preset" function for the EQ, so you can have a different EQ for each channel, and also have one set up with a manual EQ. Then there is the power amp settings, which have the "Class A single ended" mode, which I LOVE. Then there is also the ability to use tube rectification on channel 1 and 2 in the 45 Watt mode, and the Pentode / Triode selector for the high gain channel. Add onto this the Bold / Spongy Variac, the overall master volume, and the solo control, and you have what I think is a var more versatile power section.

Just saw on Sweetwater they have the JP2C demo, and V:25 and V:35 new at $500 off. Not sure if it is just a sale (unusual for Boogie amps) or they are trying to clear out the pipeline. The JP2C they have on sale is a demo but the V:25 and V:35 are new

I've often wondered when / if Mesa is going to "refresh" all the amplifiers that they stuck their "Cabclone DI" in now that it's been pretty much rendered obsolete by the IR response direct boxes. They built it into the JP-2C, the Mark V:35, Mark V:25, and the Triple Crown series. I don't think they even offer it as a standalone anymore. I guess they could remove it, or put in the Built in type, but it's just not useful. None of my amps have the original cabclone in them, and I'm kinda glad about that.

If my Mark V was more on the normal side of things, I would almost say the Mark V90 has a bit more to offer than the Mark VII. For instance, the pentode/triode switch, it works in 90W and 45W mode so you do get some power variations there. I guess the tube rectifier can be used with CH1 and CH2, I never really noticed much of a difference except for a volume change. Mark V90 has 9 different modes along with voicing switch (normal/bold) and a different GEQ control if you wanted a preset vs slider.

What it does not have: a good FX loop. It will work with some units but not all. It does not have a midi interface so trying to use a 3rd party control system without an octopus of wires and a relay interface.

What is missing from the Mark VII: remote Mute function. I never knew how handy that has come. I never really used it much until I started messing around with multiple amps. I could go on and on but I can stop there for now.

Mark V90 served us well. We will find out sometime if and when the Mark V will continue on or fade away. For me, it makes no difference.

As of this moment, all three Mark Vs are still on the Mesa website in the active list of amps.

As a result of the Orlando guitar show in Orlando FL this last weekend, I now have not one but two Mark V 90s. This one is a combo in quilted maple, with a (near) matching 1x12 extension cabinet. I got it in a good cash-and-trade deal that was good enough for me to pull the trigger on it. In truth I'll probably sell it as I need two Mark Vs like a guy like me needs a bra. (Definitely not.)

Of course I'll give it a chance to earn its way into my permanent collection but SOMETHING has to be sold. If it's not one Mark V, it'll be the other. Both have footswitches, both are in great shape. The older one I've had for a year now is a head in standard black tolex.

Ok, What cab(s) are you running with the V90 head? What I would recommend for you, keep the two amps, Get yourself a Mesa Switch Track and run in stereo. Nothing is more awesome than two amps of the same caliber pushing air.

I have two Badlanders I run in stereo. I wanted to add in the Mark VII and JP2C so I recently got another Mesa Switch track to complete the 4-amp rig. It is an odd thing, when you run three amps it is more of a center effect and what is in the middle either multiplies the sound or cancels it out. Go to 4 amps all in stereo the convergent fields change and balances out better. Seems that even number works, odd numbers do not.

When running two amps in stereo, some of the reverb effects that have a hall effect or ambience characteristics of being in a large arena make the sound of both amps even better. If the amps are the same, you can use the stereo in/out on most effects units without issue. It is mostly with the front end input that requires isolation or you end up with some ground loop issues.

For example, here is an experiment I ran with 4 cabinets but three amps, two Mesa Switch tracks. That was fun. I dropped it down to just one of the 4x10 as the two had more midrange content than I bargained for.

20240204_225353.jpg

It is good to see the Mark V90 hanging in there after the Mark VII came out. Just curious how long it will remain active. The next question is when does the mini mark VII come out? Will there ever be a mini JP2C? Gotta shrink it down and make it more affordable for most of us. I would rather have the big bottle format though.

Where on earth did you find Mullard 12AX7A tubes? I can find 12AX7 and CV4004, but zero "A" tubes anywhere.

And.....have you checked out the new JJ tubes yet? Eagerly awaiting your opinion on those.

Last edited:
Ah Ha, I test you said the man who lost his job not long ago. You are correct sir, the Mullard does not have an A in its part number or type. Mullard 12AX7 reissue long plate, My bad. The box it comes in Note that the Mullard is the B grade version of the Sovtech LPS. the Gold Lion B759 is the A grade version. I see they now have a Gold Lion CV4004. It is the gold pin version of the Mullard CV4004. I have one GLB759 and was a popcorn noise maker in the Mark V in the V1 position. Actually moved it around and ditched it. Bad tube from the start.

I have tried the E83SS tubes, I experimented with them in the Mark V90 first so if it broke something it was not much to worry about. bright as all hell. That means they will be ok for my other amps. Want to try them in the JP2C may even cycle them through the Badlander or Mark VII. Perhaps the Roadster or MWDR. Not sure yet. JP2C may be the first candidate and doubt the difference will be that dramatic. Mark V90 is an ice pick with Mesa or JJ tubes. I stopped using the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 since I needed them for the Bass amp, then the TC100 as the Chinese 12AT7 was not as reliable (kept loosing volume and it got to the point the TC50 was louder than the TC100 dialed all the way up).

To answer the earlier question posed to me, my "new" Mark V 90 has a C90 speaker, and so does the 1x12 extension cab that came with it.

NOT my favorite speaker by any means. But not terrible.

I have a variety of cabinets to choose from but mostly run my Mark V 90 head with a Mesa 2x12 horizontal Recto cabinet with V30s in it. I also have two custom built (by me for me) 1x12 sealed back ported cabinets with EVM-12Ls in them, plus four Marshall 4x12 1960 A and B cabinets with a variety of Celestion types in them. Greenbacks, and Creambacks, of varying vintages.

Here's my new thang.....gotta do something about that grille mismatch. The cabinet finish mismatch, I can live with.

Attachments

• Mark 5 Combo Maple.jpg
    Mark 5 Combo Maple.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 0
Except the Mark IV is the longest running Mark amp. carry on.
Welcome to the forum.

That has already been covered.

Did you create your account just to call out this error, or did you post without reading the thread?

I am surprised that nobody found my mistake, I do not mind being corrected. The Mark V90 was not the longest running Mark amp. I was wrong in making that claim. It has only been in production for 14 years.

Looking back at the Mark IV (in general terms) that ran for 18 years. However, there are two versions of the Mark IV, Mark IVa from 1990 to 1993, and then the Mark IVb from 1993 to 2008. I was off by a year as 15 years is greater than 14 years. I don't know my Mesa history or can I do simple math. My bad. 18 years is also longer than 14 years if I look at the series as a whole. So it is not the longest running mark amp to date. Not that it really matters. Just pointing out I made a mistake.

Back