Mark III+ KDRG (Listing Feedback)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaxCapacitor

Reaction score
How’s it going ?

Going to do my best to present all this in a fair and ethical way .

I have a Mark III+ KDRG listed (on a popular site) for $8,500.

This amp is an early Black Stripe model , and just (in the last month) came back from Mesa Boogie.

They performed +/R2 mod , and changed the filter caps. Maybe a minor adjust as well. It’s all in the paperwork.

The total cost of this was about $1.5k all things considered.

I got 6 STR415’s for the amp . As many of you know this the tube the mark series was designed around . The tube were $650 ($250 a pair).

I made these decisions to end up with the best possible amplifier one could have , and have this “turn key” ready for the user .

There are only a small amount of black stripe KDRG’s and with the iii+ mod it’s a hell of an opportunity. 105 Transformers and all .

I made a listing shortly after receiving the amp, I spruced the piece up in an effort to offer something bad ***.

I also sell at guitar shows , and wanted a “wow” piece for buyers/players.

As an added bonus and to add value to the sale , I am offering a Mark Series 2x12 or 4x12 .

Again “turn key” ready being my philosophy.

Price wise I have $4k in the amp , $1.5k into the mod/caps/service, $750 into the STR415’s , and $600/$800 respectively for either cab.

That’s around $7k when all is said and done.

I’ve listed the amp for $8,500. For one reverb gets $1k of that , and for two there are buyers who understand the value that has gone into getting the amp up to this spec.

I make $400 if it sells for full price.

Chances are it won’t.

The fact that a buyer gets this and doesn’t have to wait 6 months for the work to be complete, and has it all delivered to there door step , seems to me to be a pretty even steven and square deal.

I have a heckler / harrasser sending me messages telling me I should be selling this for $4k max . They don’t understand any of the aforementioned points , and are referencing prices from 5-10 years ago.

I tried to explain all this, but they are unreasonable and continue to heckle me over the pricing .

I’m not the only person who’s listed a III+ KDRG black stripe for that price range . There was one two years ago that sold for a similar price .

If I have to dig that up to show, I can .

In my opinion , I’m being totally transparent , ethical , and reasonable .

I came here to ask other Mesa enthusiasts if that resonates or makes any sense . To me all of the above makes perfect sense.

Should people go through all this effort to get a great amp up to optimal spec , and not receive any value back for doing so ?

I wanted to mention that this heckler stated that they have 10-15 IIC+’s and a bunch of other stuff .

If you ask me they are part of the problem with the early mark series, by harboring an excessive amount of the IIC+’s. Someone like me who is just trying to break even isn’t the crux of the problem , at least in my opinion.

I’m sure this person is a member of this forum , but I don’t even know who they are , just a random person who decided to get confrontational regarding my price/listing . They are performing any tactics they can to devalue what I have and I won’t let that happen. I know exactly what I have and all the paperwork / $ trail to prove it .

This individual didn’t even know what STR415’s were .

Anyways , let me know what you think .

Am I the ******* ?

Thanks

Am I the ******* ?
Of course! That is because you won't sell me the amp for $2k!

But your heckler rings a bell. I remember wanting to take a baseball bat upside someone's head years ago but I'm trying to avoid those kind of people instead. Block that one.

Personally, selling sucks. I'd rather have too many amps but you'd think someone with 15 IIC+'s wouldn't be such a duck. Yes they were the problem but prices have been moving down for a couple years now.

8.5k?

Music gear prices are in a depression for all but the most sought after. But here is my 2 xents as the owner of a handful of coli's.

No one has wanted to pay more than $2k for a IIB coli for a long time for reference. When the Mark III's took off in price I saw a blue stripe + sell for $7500. It was before every one and their sister started getting the III+ mod. The only coli's I know that have sold that high or higher since and excluding the IIC+ are IIB recent loop mod KRG's.

Someone on here told me that blue stripe coli's were selling fully serviced for $3.5k lately. For a mb serviced coli that is too cheap but you can't argue with the market until it changes.

I was considering sending my KDRG blue stripe to MB for service to sell and keep an eye out for a K /KR /KG or KRG replacement. A fully serviced and modded amp will theoretically be worth more after Mike retires but for me I would not sell any mb serviced /modded coli for less than 5-7k. In my case I'm happy keeping them if they don't sell.

You may have trapped yourself into a great amp that right now the market does not appreciate. With the floor on a non-serviced IIC+ around 4k right now a serviced, modded coli should be north of 5K.

Do not trust the lack of seller protection on reverb with this kind of coin. Redirect that 1k in fees as a discount to everyone on this board that you just advertised to and be willing to wait for a buyer.

Historically, the Mark III has a market price roughly 1/3 of an equitable Mark IIC+. FWIW, with the recent slump in the market I've seen IIC+ selling in the $7-9K range and Mark III selling in the $2-3K range.

Aah to edit what I said- I missed the "KDRG" part in the title partially because the verbiage called out the PT105, which the Colis do not have.

In the last 6-12 months, Mesa serviced MkIII Colis have been selling in the $3500 range (3 of them that I know about personally), IIB Colis in the $6K range and IIC+ Colis in the $11-12K range (also ones I'm personally aware of). TBH I think the III Colis are currently about a grand undervalued so I suspect they'll bounce back, and I suspect it'll be a long time until the market doubles.

I also suspect that the III Coli price will continue to lag behind the IIB Coli price in the future now that people have started to figure out the magic of that power section.

Back