Crazy Road King + Yellowjacket Idea

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't make any difference in the sound, which side you replace the power tubes on. The Yellowjackets are self-biasing and should (theoretically) give you the same sound no matter what tube you replace.

sleepingtiger said:
Any update on this?
Has anyone replaced the EL34s, rather than the 6L6s? I'm contemplating this(when mine is delivered), as I don't want to lose the thump & am not a big EL34 fan, but love 84's!
Tony

You can plug the pair of YJ's into any of the paired sockets for the EL34's or 6L6's. I used to prefer 84's over 34's, but my favorite now is playing both together at the same time.

I run jackets in a musicman 2-10 65. At first I was unimpressed. Then I found an old AX from Telefunken for the phase inverter. I don't know if this was the ticket...but there are times I just have to laugh....what note was THAT? Full volume always of course. It's hard to keep an eye on the police on my scanner when playing though, so I usually only play for 3 minutes at a time.

Yesterday I learned that I was seen breaking into a construction site...other times the cops advertise that a car like mine is driving around giving candy to chirren....but the break in attempt even included my name and address. Filing a FOIAD as we speak, because the caller (whom I contacted through my own detective work) said he only mentioned that a suspicious car was diving near his construction site. On the scanners it was saying that I tried to get in the back door and then was seen running off. Seems the fuzz are on a payroll.

I think the yellow jackets are cool. You get some Hendrix tones. On the downside...if Jimi were here, he'd be popping a vein so he could get a gig jerking soda at the Walmart.

Yeah...yellow jackets. They're cool. I don't know about putting them in a Mesa though.

****...all this talk of retubes makes me wish i could even afford just the HEAD i want. much less tons of replacement tubes for different sounds. makes me wish my XXX and Dual rec would sell...stupid Canada.

I just got a quartet of yellowjackets that I am going to play with in my Triple Rec. I'll post my opinion in a couple of days.

I read that yellow jackets are supposed to be run at the low power switch, else they get destroyed. Is this true?

Can these run regarless of bold or spongy settings? Any power concerns that someone needs to be aware of like they can only run at (blank) watts...? etc..

And do these fit into the amp head without having to remove the body?
Like in the picture from this link?

I think I want to do this but I want to make sure I know what I might be getting into...

Thanks.

Peace

Peace said:
Can these run regarless of bold or spongy settings? Any power concerns that someone needs to be aware of like they can only run at (blank) watts...? etc..

And do these fit into the amp head without having to remove the body?
Like in the picture from this link?

I think I want to do this but I want to make sure I know what I might be getting into...

Thanks.

Peace

+1 here also....

You can always call mesa CS with questions on this sort of thing.

To the guy whose friend was going to try this in his roadster, how did that go? I've got an RK II and am interested.

Just to clear things up. I'm the guy who first started this post almost 2 years ago. I'm still running my RK1 in that configuration. I've run it in bold and spongy and had no problems. I did not need to modify my chassis to fit the yellowjackets and el84's. They slip right in.

mloiaco said:
Just to clear things up. I'm the guy who first started this post almost 2 years ago. I'm still running my RK1 in that configuration. I've run it in bold and spongy and had no problems. I did not need to modify my chassis to fit the yellowjackets and el84's. They slip right in.

What tubes do you use? How do you like the EL84 6l6 combo? Or the EL84 EL34 6L6 combo?

I use JJ's for the 84's. I think they came with the yellowjackets.

2x6L6 + 2xEL84: I love this combination. You can dial in a kind of Mark IV-ish simulclass tone. You get the smoothness of the 6l6 and the chime of the 84's.

2x84 + 2x34: Brit to the max.

So I have been reading your posts I am totally not satisfies with my Roadster and I am going to replace the tubes. So this guy has a website eurotubes.com and he sells retube kits. I am totally thinking of doing this. Has anyone out there done a total retube(including preamp)? He recomended KT77s to me which is a happy medium between 6L6 and EL 34s.

Latest posts

Back