Road King 2 popping issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bammbammbamm

Reaction score
Hello,

My Roadking II has been making popping noises but only when certain combinations on the progressive linkages are selected (I think it's when I pick 2x6L6 and 4x6L6 but not when EL34s are with the combination). I don't have a guitar cable plugged in and it still pops. Only the speaker cable to the cab. It doesn't seem to matter whether if diode or recto is selected and the volume of the popping does not change with the master volume.

I tried replacing 6L6 two tubes with new ones but still pops. I put back the old tubes and put those same pair of new tubes to replace the other two 6L6s. Still pops.

Any ideas? Thank you so much.

This is a well-known issue with the Road King/Roadster series of dual rectifiers. Apparently, it can be mitigated by switching through the channels on standby a few times before playing. I believe it results from build-up of static and is not harmful to the amp and wouldn't be noticeable at high (gig) volumes.

I am aware of the popping nose when switching channels so I do the cycling thru the channels before playing. However, this is even without doing any switching, even without a guitar cable plugged in. Is this still normal?

Ah, I see. I had this issue as well with my Road King combo and it turned out to be a tube issue. Not sure if it was a preamp or power tube issue but you'll probably have to troubleshoot all of them until the popping stops.

If I recall correctly, I kept tapping tubes with a pencil until I hit the problem one, at which point the popping/cackling sound worsened. That's how I knew which tube was causing the issue.

Latest posts

Back