What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curiousity made me buy my first Boogie (Studio .22+) , now the other 9 ...that's a whole 'nother story. :D :D 8) :wink:

When i was younger i noticed a lot of the guitar sounds that i really liked were Boogie:

Stryper
Loudness
Metallica
Dream Theater

and so for 15 years i tried every amp i could find in local stores(no MB)......Crate,Laney,ADA,Marshall,etc......some were better than others but i finally in "99 bought a Line 6 AX2 212 as kind of my own personal music store and over the next 5 years or so i noticed that no matter what i tried i'd always come back to the Mesa models and the MII in particular so in 2004 when a local shop became a Mesa dealer i went in and told them i wanted a Mark IV and they said it would take between 6-12 months.....and i just was dead set on walking out with a.........and on the shelf they had a.......and my Rectoverb 50 hasn't let me down yet.......i still want a MK IV though....and a Dual Rec and a.......

Cleekster said:
When i was younger i noticed a lot of the guitar sounds that i really liked were Boogie:

Stryper
Loudness
Metallica
Dream Theater

and so for 15 years i tried every amp i could find in local stores(no MB)......Crate,Laney,ADA,Marshall,etc......some were better than others but i finally in "99 bought a Line 6 AX2 212 as kind of my own personal music store and over the next 5 years or so i noticed that no matter what i tried i'd always come back to the Mesa models and the MII in particular so in 2004 when a local shop became a Mesa dealer i went in and told them i wanted a Mark IV and they said it would take between 6-12 months.....and i just was dead set on walking out with a.........and on the shelf they had a.......and my Rectoverb 50 hasn't let me down yet.......i still want a MK IV though....and a Dual Rec and a.......

I hope you got rid of the Line 6...

Afraid not........I go from my Mesa'a Slave out to the Line 6's AUX in(Input/2 band EQ/Power Amp)which enables me to set my main cab wherever is most convenient to get a cranked sound without killing people and i can control the volume and blend in with the PA sound.......Set the line 6 on a Mesa 2x12 and it actually sound quite good unfortunately i still have to buy another Mesa cab For the Line 6........I refuse not to have power tube saturation and my singer refuses to turn his TSL(marshall)louder than 2 so i do what i have to.

i saw vader for the first time in 2002 and heard his guitar sound and loved it. at first i thought it was a distortion pedal but then when immolation played bill tayler plugged straight into the same amp so i bought a 3 channel dual rect and then 2 1/2 years later traded it for a 2000 2 channel triple rect...and also hearing pat o' brian's tone from canniba corpsel

Strat N My Stuff said:
don't play for a living. Just with friends, at an open mike jam (biker bar :shock: ), and praise/worship at church, so spending $1700.00 might seem foolish. But consider that the last amp I bought was a Fender Princeton Chorus, about 15 years ago.

If it makes you feel any less foolish, we have to pay almost double that for a LSS here in England. http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/lonestar/67169 :cry: (that's $3,171 at current exchange rate)

rabies said:
I wanted to feel like a hybrid of Mike Tyson drunk and Janet Reno on PCP.
dude, i'm loving all the political/celebrity references lately.. keep it up

I'd heard Petrucci and Master of Puppets and loved the chunky chugging tones they got out of their Boogies. Played a Recto once using my 7 string and fell in love with ch3 modern, and the rest is history...

metallica.... bought my first triple rec (my second amp ever) off ebay without ever playing one just because hetfield palyed one... best purchase i ever made.... probably wasnt the most intelligent purchase considering i never played one and bought it off ebay.... but still the best purchase i ever made

Petrucci and Hetfield have made Mesa millions, it's a successful symbiotic relationship :) with the Mark series being the common denominator. The really won with that design. IMO the Mark series were more important than the Rectos.

Years ago,a friend of mine got one,when you could order directly from Mesa Boogie,..late 70's,early 80's ??? So I knew about Mesa Boogie,..
But many years later,..after Marshall,and Fender amps,I walked into a local music store,..And they had two Boogie's,...in fact besides the Fenders these were the only other "tube" amps they had,...A Duel Rectifier and the Nomad 45,..The Nomad fit my "style" and was a little cheaper,..so it came home with me.

i have always loved the DR sound. and when i was getting tired my 5150 i found a guy and traded him straight up for his DR. and i dont see myself ever turning back now. i am loving my tone with this head.

jvk said:
Petrucci and Hetfield have made Mesa millions, it's a successful symbiotic relationship :) with the Mark series being the common denominator. The really won with that design. IMO the Mark series were more important than the Rectos.

You are so right about the Mark series..... looking into the Hetfield/Petrucci contribution most may not realize the tone Hetfield/Hammett have on MOP which seems to be one of the most coveted metal tones out there was a Mark IIC+.... the rectifiers didn't make it into their sound until the Load/Reload sessions..... and even still the trade mark in both of their setups for live purposes has been the triaxis which lends itself to the Mark series.... so in the end it is the Mark series tone that has made its impression or atleast gave way to the recto series make its mark (no pun intended)..... no matter which series is your thing both have truly made their mark on the music industry as a whole

The tone. I convinced my wife to let me buy one last good amp after going through 3-4 $500 Peaveys. I didn't care about price and decided to go tube amp. I went in thinking Marshall TSL 2000. I played every Marshall in the shop and they all sounded like crap.

I read some good reviews on the Rectoverb so I tried it out with my ME-5 and I was floored by the tone. Still love the tone and it's been 6-7 years. Three dimensional and thick & chewy. I also liked the fact that it was built like a tank. Mesa just makes wonderful amps.

It all started with my Dad.

He's been playing lead since I can remember. And so this apple didn't fall too far from that tree. He convinced me along the way that tube is tone, and he was playing a Mesa at the time. And so I bought my first tube amp, a Peavey Classic 30. Great amp, but over time it lost it's edge compared to modern tone to my ears.

I saved and sprung on a Rectoverb. I was floored when I got it. I couldn't play a sad or angry song without smiling.

After a few weeks, Dad came over with his friends to check out the late model. The first thing all of them noted:

1) Where do you have the gain?! WOW!!!

2) It’s so quiet!!! (no hiss)

At this point I've added the mark 4 to the list, and without regret, it is my favorite right now. I still love the r-verb, because of it's articulate nature on clean and brutal gain. The mark just covers everything between so well, and with a grain of smoothness that the r has trouble competing with. Anyways, ...

And so, Mesa/Boogie it is!!!

For me getting another Boogie was the last thing on my mind. I owned a Mark I and I think it was a Mark IV a few years back. The Mark I was pretty nice but I didn't keep either for very long. I recently had a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia that was great but didn't have enough headroom. I went to the local music store that I've dealt with for years to see what they had. I was prepared to spend a little money so I took a Carr Rambler and a Carr Slant 6V home to try over the weekend. Before I left the owner said take the Lonestar Special with you too. I said no thanks but he told me I'd be surprised if I did. The Carrs were great especially the Rambler. I had decided to buy the Rambler at $2300 and hadn't even plugged in the LSS.
Next day before I took the other two amps back I tried the Boogie. My first impression was total surprise just like I was told. I immediately put the Rambler and the LSS side by side to hear the difference between the two. I couldn't believe how good the LSS sounded......not better than the Rambler but more versatile and extremely usable. I ended up taking the Rambler and the Slant 6V back and left the LSS there in my room. The owner of the store just laughed when he saw me carring both Carr amps back in and simply said "I told you so"!

metallica made boogie huge. when the song "one", and the whole Justice album...everybody wanted that fucking insanely heavy tone.

I sound dated here but......

Larry Carlton ( early days )

Santana

Steve Lukather ( Toto concert in Miami 1985/86 ??)

Latest posts

Back