TC50 first impressions and argument to buy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bandit, I put a JAN 12at7 in my TC-50 combo too, it made a huge difference and really took the amp on a new level, thanks!
The TC-50 is a wonderful amp, will try the MXR 10-EQ next, it has been glued to my Mark III 60s in the last months, hah!
Will save the 6V6 journey for later on...

The JAN Philips 12AT7 and late ‘70’s Mullard CV4024 are GREAT tubes for the FX Loop driver in the Triple Crown. The fullness and depth that they add is astounding. They are also a rugged tube and should last forever.

This change, as well as a Graphic EQ in the loop really brings the amp to life. Right now they sit on top of Mesa Vertical 2 X12’s in a stereo rig. The cabs are loaded with Eminence DV-77 and Celestion Red Back speakers, with the Red Backs up top. If I mic the cabs live I mic the DV-77’s. This has become my A-Rig over a pair of Roadsters on Oversized Rectifer 4 X12’s, it’s a lot easier to move, bar stage friendly and it all fits in my ‘17 Ford Escape.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing like the roar of two Rectifiers going full tilt through 4 X 12’s in stereo but for what I’m currently doing the TC-100’s really work well, and they sound great at lower volumes using the 50 watt setting as well. You really need to crank the Roadsters in 100W mode to get the best out of them, that’s not the case with the TC-100.

I love this amp, it’s really influenced my playing style in a positive way. I boost the front with a Seymour Duncan 805 Drive into CH 3 Normal mode and these things scream. The 805 has a nice 3 band EQ and it works great for high gain rhythms. For solos I switch to a Mesa Grid Slammer into CH 3 Normal mode, it’s midrange is perfect for me. For really over the top leads I add a modified Boss CS-3, but it gets a bit noisy with high output pickups.

The Clean channel is almost as good as the clean channel in my Roadsters, which I feel have the best cleans of any amp I’ve played, especially in Tweed mode.

I use CH 2 in tight mode boosted with the Grid Slammer for my Baritone guitar, a Gretch Jet with mini humbuckers and an EMG Afterburner boost circuit on the first detent, I think it’s + 8dB. For solos I add the CS-3, fits that guitar perfectly.

Dom

Last edited:
Yes, with the stock tubes this amp is awesome. Do yourself the favor of at least trying the 6V6 tubes. It's definitely worth the cost of the tubes and then some.
I've had a new set of Mesa 6V6 tubes sitting here for a month now and I haven't put them in yet to try them, I'm just really digging the EL34 sound. I think it's time I popped those other tubes in, maybe tonight.

Me again, yes again about the TC lol. Just to share that I recently scored a Three Quarter open back 1X12 cab (with a C90). It sounds absolutely awesome. Why did Mesa stop making those I wonder...

I have not gigged with it at high volume yet and for now I try to figure if I like it best paired with an open back V30 or the C90 closed back Widebody... for now the V30 has my vote.

Those two 1X12 together really cover a wide range of frequencies with the ¾ open back being on the lower end and the V30 being more mid/high range.

What are your favourite speakers with the TC's?

Cheers

I just saw the C90s on Mesa's site...still available. I have 2 for sale, so I was wondering if I should up my price, lol!
Personally, I use 3 different speakers, depending on the amp. Most of the time, I use an EVM12L along with a Celestion Redback. I have a Mesa vertical 2x12 with one of each of those in it. I also have 2 Thiele cabs, 1 with the EVM, the other with a Redback. In a different 2x12, I have a WGS Invader 50 paired with an old Celestion G12M-70. I primarily use that cab for Marshall-esque amps. For my damaged ears, all those speakers deliver the tone I like to hear and feel. I've replaced the Creamback in my BL25 with another WGS Invader 50. That little amp is a pure rock and roll machine.

My TC usually gets the Mesa vertical. Even though that amp is British voiced, I prefer it through that blend than with the Invader/Celestion blend. Those speakers tame the brightness and add more growl. Another great trick is putting a graphic EQ in the FX loop. Adding some low end girth to the TC delivers a crushing tone.

Just noticed the C90 speaker on Mesa's site has "add to wish list." Maybe I do need to bump my price, lol!

I just saw the C90s on Mesa's site...still available. I have 2 for sale, so I was wondering if I should up my price, lol!
Personally, I use 3 different speakers, depending on the amp. Most of the time, I use an EVM12L along with a Celestion Redback. I have a Mesa vertical 2x12 with one of each of those in it. I also have 2 Thiele cabs, 1 with the EVM, the other with a Redback. In a different 2x12, I have a WGS Invader 50 paired with an old Celestion G12M-70. I primarily use that cab for Marshall-esque amps. For my damaged ears, all those speakers deliver the tone I like to hear and feel. I've replaced the Creamback in my BL25 with another WGS Invader 50. That little amp is a pure rock and roll machine.

My TC usually gets the Mesa vertical. Even though that amp is British voiced, I prefer it through that blend than with the Invader/Celestion blend. Those speakers tame the brightness and add more growl. Another great trick is putting a graphic EQ in the FX loop. Adding some low end girth to the TC delivers a crushing tone.

Just noticed the C90 speaker on Mesa's site has "add to wish list." Maybe I do need to bump my price, lol!
I tried adding an EQ in the loop to add a bit of bass, what a difference! Thanks for sharing your speakers choices. Cheers

Latest posts

Back