What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and since everyone is naming bands (even though this only made up about 2% of my decision).. jerry garcia

???? Yeah??? Do tell. I didn't know Jerry was a boogie man. His tone used to annoy the hell out of me, then I got this JGB performance from '76, and man, that's (almost) the clean I looked for when I landed the LSC. (throw in Kenny Burrell from 1978, blend well, and that's IT!)

Yeah, he used a mark 1 pre-amp starting in 75 or 76, and starting in the early 80s he went to a mark 2 for a while.

Steal yer faces!!!

I'm with Zeppman on this one: it's all about the tone. When I was new to all this (some 20+ years ago) I was jamming with this guy at college. I was an undergrad, he was a theology grad student. As soon as he hit the first chord on his 72 tele through a Mark I, I knew I just found the amp of my dreams. It had "the sound" I always heard on records, but could never get myself using my Crate amps (this is back when they actually looked like crates!)

I just had to get one. Couldn't afford anything but the little studio .22, but it did just what I wanted it to. I had that sound. I have never looked back. I'm currently playing a DC-3, and just ordered my last amp ever (at least that's what I told the Missus): an F-50 in bubinga and wicker.

There is simply no other amp out there that sounds tonally anything like a Boogie.

And as a dead-head myself, I was enthralled to learn that he used boogies back in the mid-seventies. Wier has used them on and off since then too. I can cop Garcia's tone (with the help of the obligatory Q-Tron) effortlessly with the DC-3. Love that amp.

Yeah, my strat in the middle + bridge pup selection can sound very similar to garcia through my mark iv.

Since I went to college back in 2001, I bought a Marshall TSL-120 combo. I had no problems with it for awhile ( i didnt take it to college dorm, so I didnt use it that much) but when I came home for the summer two years later I had some horrible problems with it, ie tubes, blown PCB board etc. I took to a repair shop 45 mins away and they gave me a general statement about wat happened and all. After that I had it. I sold it an bought a Dual Rec for some mean bite. I like bands like Metallica, Soundgarden, etc, but after I heard Dream Theater/Petrucci I was sold. I sent away for a Dual Rec with Wine taurus and a Wicker Crane grill, so it kinda looks warm/vinatage instead of the metal grill. Now I am waiting for a Mark 4, for some awesome leads, and warmer cleans. Also, I like the depenabliity of the amps, being able to put them to solid state (dual rec) and just not having to worry about biasing them. Which I needed to do in the Marshall.

What sealed the deal me on getting a Mesa was playing a modeling amp against an LSS during a gig. I had my amp cranked all the way up and the LSS was being played at about 9:30-10:00 volumewise. I couldn't hear myself through most of the gig, and then when I could, well, that was a disappointment. I couldn't believe that my twin speakered 120 watt amp got clocked in both volume and tone by a 30 watt 1x12 that wasn't even opened up. It made me a believer.

I didn't walk. I ran to the music store soon after that humbling episode. As they say, Never bring a knife to a gun fight. :D

Brewski, your experience was very similiar to what happened to me. I was playing a 2x12 Peavey modeler that I thought was the latest and greatest. Thank God, I didn't buy the Cyber Twin. Anyway a 72 SFDR, one 12 and 22 watts running at 4 is taking my PV and crushing. I'm not talking about just decibels, but tone, sustain andcontrolled feedback.

Off to GC, to buy a DRRI, but I got into a LSS instead and wound up with a LSC 2x12 eventually. The Fenders DRRI's and TRRI's are real good amps. The Mesa LSS and LSC are great amps.

picnic said:
Thank God, I didn't buy the Cyber Twin.
before i really got into playing i really wanted one of those, lol. i thought the knobs moving by themselves were the coolest thing ever! :lol: then i found out good tone is the coolest thing ever... thus mesa boogie :D

Brewski, your experience was very similiar to what happened to me. I was playing a 2x12 Peavey modeler that I thought was the latest and greatest.

Yeah, Picnic, for me it was a Roland VGA-7. I bought an F-50 and later on, picked up a used Road King Head. I've been very happy with both amps.

dylan7620 said:
picnic said:
Thank God, I didn't buy the Cyber Twin.
before i really got into playing i really wanted one of those, lol. i thought the knobs moving by themselves were the coolest thing ever! :lol: then i found out good tone is the coolest thing ever... thus mesa boogie :D

Man, Fender went wrong there!

I had never heard of Mesa Boogie until I started taking lessons from this guy around 1985. He had this little head on top of a 1x12 cab, a Marshall 4x12, and a Roland Jazz Chorus. The Boogie had the old logo that just said "Boogie" on it. He could tell I was curious, so he said, "Wanna hear what that thing can do?"
It was a Mark I.
I knew I had to have one after that.
It had silver cloth on it.
It got stolen, so he replaced it with a Mark II C (+?).

I wanted the newer Mark III, but couldn't afford it. I "settled" on the .50 Cal, but I wished it had EQ. That's when I found out that Santana, Journey, Living Colour, and Stryper played Boogies as well.
My Dream rig was a Quad, 295, and a Halfback or 2. 2 outa 3 ain't bad!

Guitarzan said:
Brad Gillis - Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil". 'nuff said.

I have always been amazed with the live sound of this album. I love sabbath's music and even though the album is without the original master Iommi,,the sound Gillis has is incredible. I always thought he must have used marshalls. I did a little searching a few months back to find out what he used with no luck.
Is that a boogie?? What amp exactly is that?
By the way,,when I was trying to find out about his setup,,not even knowing the guitarists name was Brad Gillis,,,The article I read said he is also the guitarist for Night Ranger. Amazing HUH.

Partly being fan of John Petrucci's work lately (both in and outside of DT)
But equally as important were things I read on this board, mainly from Boogiebabies and Elpelotero. Also danyeo1's clips helped a lot :)

they were something I dreamed about then a close mate said(he is older)

"you have to buy a boogie,nuthin else will cut it,sound great,look great and you can drop then coming out of a gig,what more can you ask for"

I got one,

The first ever album I bought(Not owned) was a santana album and ohhh that little boogie sounded like my dreams

The I heard Petrucci,I wanted that gain

I have a Dual rec....................I got gain :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

recto-robbie said:
Guitarzan said:

I have always been amazed with the live sound of this album. I love sabbath's music and even though the album is without the original master Iommi,,the sound Gillis has is incredible. I always thought he must have used marshalls. I did a little searching a few months back to find out what he used with no luck.
Is that a boogie?? What amp exactly is that?
By the way,,when I was trying to find out about his setup,,not even knowing the guitarists name was Brad Gillis,,,The article I read said he is also the guitarist for Night Ranger. Amazing HUH.

Mesa Mark IIB Head and a Studio Pre Amp through Marshall Cabs

all the bands i was/am listening to had them, the look, the "legend" of mesa/boogie, the crushing distortion, and just the tone in general.

saved for over a year to buy my dual rec while i was in high school. i've had it ever since and haven't even thought about buying another tube amp. i recently just bought the 4x12 standard cabs and that just added even more love (i was playing through a crate blue voodoo 4x12...ew).

Guitarzan said:

What model did he play on that album? That is one of my favorite albums of all time, and the way that guitar sounds in the beginning of Symptom of the Universe (and all the rest) still blows me away.

I never know that was a Mesa

ChrisRocksUSA said:
Being a long time metallica/dream theater fanboy I always knew I had to get my hands on a rectifier, but I can think of 2 specific DVDs that made me really need it

what about you guys 8)

For me, it was Andy Timmons' tone on "Deliver Us" from his last disc, "Resolution". I dig Petrucci and a lot of other Mesa users, but I wasn't thrilled with the Rectos for my own playing. I really liked how Andy's tone not only sounded but also how organic it seemed. I know he recorded the disc mainly with 2 vintage Marshalls but that represented a tone that I loved and wanted to emulate. What sealed the deal on my brand-new Stiletto Ace was listening to Andy play "Deliver Us" with a Stiletto head.

I actually owned a DC-5 years ago because I loved Lukather and some of the other '80's users. I was also intrigued by the Boogie mystique. However, after a few years, I was over my Boogie love affair and sold off the DC-5. It wasn't until the Stiletto that I was seriously intrigued with a current-production Mesa so I'm glad that Randall and co. are savvy enough to produce amps for nu-metal types as well as older Brit-type guys. :lol:

Latest posts

Back