What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a Mesa?... OK! time to give that another listen.

Had money to waste. Needed a new amp, something I could grow with. Eyed Mesa/Boogie. Ordered a Road King.

Now a RK2 owner.

Oh Yeah! that was a Mesa Mark IIB Head and a Studio Pre Amp through Marshall Cabs. Congrats on the RKII!

Well, I used to have an Engl Fireball. Great amp, but I wanted a rack setup - I joined a quite often gigging band. I was buying at a friend, who imports used Boogies (which are still more expensive in Europe than new in US!). First, I borrowed a 20/20. What a great power amp:) He also had a Quad Preamp in stock, but it had a zillion of knobs that scared me...but a great sound could be found...then he pulled out a rackmount dual rectifier. Two chords and I got an instant smile I couldn't really get rid of until I stopped playing. Instant tone with almost no knob twisting. And I was sold...:)

Please note, that I used to be one of the DR bashers due to the bad sound I have heard on some local bands gigs...It was their fault, not Mesa's:)

Brad Gillis for me too. There was an add where he said he plugged straight into a Mark III Simulclass nothing else to get his sound. I tried one and was instantly sold.

Listen to the intro to Eddies Coming out on the first album, what tone.

Since then, White Snake, sykes was reportedly using IICs, that album has great guitar sounds on it.

Currently using a Mark IV.

Brad Gillis sparked my interest. A visit to the old LAB sound in Reseda in 86' where the guy demoed a MKIII sealed the deal. A few years later i got the scratch together for a Studio Pre.

Scott

Valtyr said:
I have owned some Line 6 modelers and I often found myself using recto models.

That was one of the big reasons why I went with a Recto as well.

I ownded a BOSS GT-6 fx processor and always found myself gravitating towards the Recto modeling. Even when trying to get Zakk Wylde tones or other tones from players that don't use Recto's, it always seemed like the Recto setting would help me get that sound.

When I finally went to a Guitar Center on the other side of town that carried Mesa, I tried a Marshall TSL100 first. It was alright but didn't have the chunk that I was looking for. Also, feature wise, the Dual Rectifier had way more to offer at the same price (same price here in the U.S. at least). I can't stand it when amp manufactures claim to have a "3 channel" amp when they share an eq or presence control. :evil: Anyway, then when I went to play the Dual Rec, there was no going back! Instant gradification with only a quick eq adjustment. It was the thick-*** recto chunk that I had come to love from my BOSS GT-6, but with the in-your-face tone and warmth of having the all-tube real-deal!

...the rest as they say, is history.

Brad Gillis... Night Ranger Solo in Sister Christian.... Ouch... deep... ballsy gutsy... growly...sustain

Saw him play with Ozzy about 6 months after Randy Roades died.

I went to a guitar store and tried something out.

When I hit 2 strings at once I heard 2 Tones. no mix of something indefinable but 2 notes! thats all i wanted! I never heard such clarity in my life. Always thought I could not learn to play so well that I could buy me a Mesa amp! They really let you hear all your mistakes and errors...

And now after a dozen boogie amps I ordered my first recto. the roadster...:)

The tone of the amp itself.....

I actually avoided Boogies like the plague because I didn't want to be classified as an "Ozz-fest" or "Nu-Metal" player. I tried every amp in my town and several on ebay and didn't like any of them enough to keep. I was sitting there, in a local music store, just about to buy a Genz Benz El-Diablo or a Peavey JSX and I though "what the heck" and I plugged in to a Dual Recto with my own guitar and I knew at that point that was the sound I'd been looking for. And guess what, Boogies are versatile enough to not sound like an "Ozz fest" or "Nu-Metal" player and even work great for other styles besides hard rock.

The tone of the amp is why I got a Rectifier.... distortion and clean.

tele_jas said:
And guess what, Boogies are versatile enough to not sound like an "Ozz fest" or "Nu-Metal" player and even work great for other styles besides hard rock.

That's exactly what I said in my Harmony Central review of my Dual Rectifier. People always pigeon hole Mesa's as "Nu Metal", but if you play with your ears and not with your eyes, you quickly realize how versitile Boogies can be.

Every gigging rock guitarist in town was using Marshalls. I went with the MkIII...and ate their lunch.
8)

Well, soon after I started gettting serious with my band, i bought an avt 50 half stack (Marshall, tube preamp). I had no ear for tone at this point, but the shop I was getting lessons at started carrying MB products - I remember when I first saw the rectifiers - The look blew me away, and the "baseball" logo, also drew me in. I saved up for an entire summer for that amp - and had to borrow a 4x12 after trading in the marshall.

I was playing a standard strat at that point, and after getting The recto, I realised I would have to get a different guitar. Now here I am , a mesa, a boogie, 2 cabinets on the way, road case, a custom guitar, and still going, I would say Ive grown up with mesa now, and Ive not heard any other amp thats going to take me away!

hey, i started off almost the same. got an avt150 as my first amp and loved it to bits until i started playing with a band. the poor little thing couldn't keep up, so i got a marshall cab. still couldnt keep up so i traded it in on a marshall dsl50. that was pretty fun but the shared eq drove my crazy, and the buzzy grain. local shop had a special on a mesa/boogie nomad 45, which caught my eye because it didnt have Marshall plastered on the front and looked sort of understated. Sounded fanastic so I traded in again, and it's been boogie ever since! now it's dylan's second boogie and I'm sure he loves it just as much!

Just can't find anything that sounds like a rectifier.. plus some of my favorite guitar tones a la Petrucci, Jerry Cantrell, Adam Jones, Kim Thayil, etc came from it

i can remember being a korn kid @ age 13 and hearing the huge distorted guitars that just sent chills up my spine, i asked a couple of friends (who had already began to play bass and get into music more) what they used.... they said mesa boogie.

i had a vox valvetronix for a while. and while it was a useful little combo, guitar center gave me a floor model. which would cut out every two minutes. i was supposed to get a new one within a month, but (suprise suprise) i called them and it would be over 3 months away!

in the meantime i went to another GC farher away and my other guitarist and i find a 4x10 blue angel with "dual rectifier" on it. of course after the salesman (one who actualy knew about mesa) told me it was a clean only amp i grew kinda dissapointed..... and then he turned it on. i quickly returned my vox and got the mesa and a boss metalzone.

i was set. but i knew it wasn't the right type of amp for what i do. so i came on hear and traded andrew for his nomad. swapped the tubes out for JJs and i was on my way to tone nirvana. and now with an OD in front i practicly orgasm everytime i turn it on.

all those good metal band use M/B (even those good punk band)

NOFX
Pennywise
Metallica
Cannibal corpse :evil:
Lamb of God :twisted:
Dream theater

Those amps looks good, sounds million times better, doesn't looks shitty as Marshall, it doesn't make any crap at all(unlike marshall made bunch of cheap shitty useless budget amps), superb build quality, cost effective.

MesaBoogie is the way to go.

I got it for the tone.

and since everyone is naming bands (even though this only made up about 2% of my decision).. jerry garcia

Latest posts

Back