What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petrucci fanboy here!!!

I've got Ibanez's and Mesa's. If I had more cash, I'd own some EBMM's too.

This one's a little wierd: Weezer. Rivers Cuomo used a Mark I during the groups early days. I always loved that sound.

Huge flexibility, great tone, good resale, built like a tank.
Just take precise notes on knob settings as you find "your tone".
The Caddie

I wanted a Mark IV in the early 1990 but you could only order MBs from the factory so there was really no trade in option. They were $1300 at the time. I ended up getting a 50 watt Marshall JCM 900 head because I could trade in my ADA MP1 and Yamaha combo plus $250 (I already had a cab). Years went by. I found a used JCM 900 100 watt head for $650 and bought that for an upgrade. Years went by again. Finally, when I decided that I couldn't live without Mark Tremonti's tone on Human Clay, I sold the Marshall, cab, and a bunch of other stuff and picked a DR and cab up on eBay for $1100 (head) + $500 (cab). It was the best purchase I ever made along with my LP. I waited 17 years for my DR and it was worth it!

In the late 80's early 90's I was involved with a KISS fan club. I helped the guy that ran it do the mailings etc (long before the internet). One of the benefits we had was backstage passes to a lot of bands (KISS, Motley Crue, Poison, Queensryche etc). One of the bands we interviewed was an up and coming band from kingston ontario named ANA Black. We got there hours before the show and I was chatting with the guitar tech before the band arrived. He let me play his BC Rich warlock running through what I think was a MK4 head. I fell in love immediately.

Of course, at the time I could not afford a MK4 head. So I stuck with my 100w marshall for a number of years until it blew up one night and I took it to an amp tech in Ottawa. While I was at his house, he let me play a Studio .22+ through a 4x12 and I was floored. It was a few years later by the time I was in a position to buy one, but I did. Played it for years, and then sold it to buy a ROV, which I still own today.

The first time I tried one... I just fell in love with it. I was always so afraid of having to go the Marshall route..

I have never really loved or cared for the Marshall tone and I wanted something that was more refined sounding and had more versatility.. I loved the Santana or Journey tones.. the Brad Gillis tones were great...

BUT people forget that Andy Summers used Boogies during the Police... used Boogies...

Don't forget the Who also...

I really love the sound... and it was more what I looked for (heard for... what would be the correct conjugation for that?!?!?) as far as my sound.

I have had a bunch of stuff.. but it was kind of ironic that my favorite amp in the late 80's was an ancient Ampeg w/ tube rectifier... so when the DR and TR came out... man...

I am in heaven.

I was not made to do it I came along by my own free will :lol: . Im still playing through Boogies exclusively 27 years later .

I was looking for the Fender Twin clean sound at much less power. The Express 5:50 2X12 is perfect ... even at 5 watts. The fact that I can get the other sounds without pedals or a processor is also great.

I went and attended a guitar seminar type thing this weekend with Andy Timmons. His tone was absolutely out of this world so I immediately knew I wanted to switch to boogie. He uses the Lonestar which is a killer amp but I needed that tone plus the recto growl... so I went for the Roadking.

I tried a couple of amps and I just loved the sound the F series. I was never really into rectos since I like a cleaner sound. I could never afford them so I scrimped and saved for over a year before I even came close. As luck would have it.... an F50 came up at a good price and I just couldn't pass it up.

For me personally, it was the quality, versatility and Jeff Loomis from Nevermore. He plays a 7-stringer in Bb and it still sounds tight as hell without loosing the huge bass response. I just couldn't get enough of that tone.

So I had to get a Rectifier myself, and nowdays I own a Single Recto (series 2) Solo 50 head, and I am loving it.

Metallica "Sad But True" messed me up. i was listening to a cd and i had the volume cranked in my headphones because it was a quiter cd. and when i flipped back to the FM radio it was right in the little pause before the snare roll. my brain friend when the guitars came crashing in. to this day my favorite sound is my Gibson Explorer into a Mesa amp. RIP my explorer though(broken Truss rod).

Since then i've had a 2ch dual rec, Triaxis/2:90, Rectoverb and currently usen a 3ch dual w/jj preamp tubes and E.H. el34's. i do regret parting with the 2 ch dual and rectoverb though, but the triaxis/2:90 will stay with me forever, i've made lots of memories with it.

Although we grew up around the corner as little kids, we live states apart now. My friend from childhood rips *** on lead guitar and has done so for 30+years, worked on every band's guitars in a decent sized city as a tech for years and years. I remember how he first lent one of his 20+ guitars for a couple months for me to play, then built and set up my first electric guitar up from parts he got off ebay. Still have it and actually played through it tonight, and it sounded fat and sweet.

I can remember him saying that 5 notes with tone is worth 5000 without LONG before he used that phrase in his signature of every one of his numerous and helpful posts here... He shared the idea about tubes and harmonics, and how tube amps were the way to go.

He had a 1/12 Maverick, still does, and I remember how others would come up to him after his playing and compliment his tone. I once bought a used Ampeg vt120 off ebay a long while back, which was a disaster, it arrived with a hum and nobody wanted to work on it. After spending WAY too much on it, two techs and waiting six months later it still had too much hum, several hundred dollars into very greedy "Miss Piggy" taking all my extra money on repairs and a Fane alnico 12 later and I gave up on it. :oops: It had a flimsy circuit board, and the worst possible layout with all the components being on the underside of the board that about 25-35 wires had to be unplugged to turn over and look at. !!!!! What a PIA... :evil:

I remembered how his Maverick sounded so sweet and pretty and how it would howl at the low gain dirty tone my friend would often use. :) So I hovered for months on ebay and got a 2/12 Maverick of my own for dirt cheap, and worked with it many hours and revisions later tube and speaker wise to get the sound I dreamed of out of it, my own. Now I get tone compliments every single time I play out with it, sweet and gorgeous, or mean as a pissed off buffalo. 8) Very emotional sounding amp. Sixveesix, it's all your fault. :lol:

I chose boogie for one because I wanted to get as close to the MOP tone as possible when I wanted to. I also needed a good clean channel and a good dirty channel for blues/jazz/classic rock stuff. I love the hell out of Mark Morton so I was immediately turned on to the Mark IV. When I realized what it could do (and no Recto ever could) I had to have one. The fact that the Foos, Rombolla and Tremonti play Rectos is another reason I'll never be associated with them.

I'm currently on my third Mesa. I bought a DR half stack when they first came out, and an ANGLED 2x12 horizontal recto cab which was designed as a monitor (anyone remember those?). I had owned seven different Marshalls in the 80s but was always wanting more than they could deliver. In '93 I walked into a store and saw this crazy looking leather and diamond plate amp. I wasn't familiar with Mesa other than the Mark series. I tried it and that was it! I later sold it and went with a Trem-o-Verb combo. That amp got destroyed in a fire and for various reasons I went without a big amp for 12 years. Then earlier this year I was finally in a position to buy a new amp and pieced together a Trem-o-Verb full stack! 8)

Latest posts

Back