What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abe said:
Guitarzan said:
Brad Gillis - Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil". 'nuff said.

What model did he play on that album? That is one of my favorite albums of all time, and the way that guitar sounds in the beginning of Symptom of the Universe (and all the rest) still blows me away.

I never know that was a Mesa

Ferget it! I actually read the rest and got my answer!

I've had 5 amps in my lifetime, but my ROV is the only one I've ever been happy with.

This post has pointed out a lot of people that used Mesa that I was not aware of. Is there a list anywhere I may have missed?

www.guitargeek.com

...used to be a great site but it doens't appear that it's updated anymore.

had to sell all my gear when relocating to hk. bought one of my jcm and the 4 head rack from the iron maiden guitarist when they started the 7thsun tour. the whole stack went into new engaged caretaking hands (son of my best buddy, upcoming guitar hero ;-)

now with nothing in hand the stiletto ace crossed my way. the sound is outstanding and one is surely not enough. of course there was some trouble in the beginning caused by the tubes. but the sound ...

A Mark IIC+ crushing everything in it's path is what originally turned me on to Mesa. Then the sweet sounds of a singing Mark made the idea even sweeter. I guess this is why my first Mesa purchase was a Mark. The main driving force behind finally pulling the trigger was a desire for change. I had grown slightly tired of the typical Marshall fare and the new Marshalls started sounding like @ss 17 years ago.

For me it was JP who finally pushed me over the edge to get one..............but plenty of others as well.

Growing up I listened to a lot of Metallica, as well as other bands ranging from Linkin Park to Limp Bizkit. I never was really into Korn until recently, I really dig their older stuff...but not the new stuff. Anyways, every time I'd see these bands that played heavy music, one name was always brought up when talking about their sound. Mesa Engineering, and specifically the Rectifier Series. When I saw them in guitar magazines for the first time, with the Diamond plating, all tube circuitry and sitting on top of a massive Recto Std. 4x12, I just knew that was the amp I needed. Haha, the first time I saw it, I mainly wanted it because I loved the Diamond Plating :lol: I think the first time I figured out what Mesa amps were I was in 8th grade. Little did I know that by the time I graduated high school I'd have a Triple Rectifier and a Recto Std. 4x12 in my possession. The phone call telling me that my custom order had come in was one of the best phone conversations I've ever had. lol. I still can't believe that I have it! I'm def. a Mesaholic and proudly use their amplifier exclusively to make my tone. Now, when I take the stage with that amp, other kids who come to our shows gawk at what I have......and it's cool because I was in there shoes not too long ago.

-AJH

All I'd really heard about Mesa was their reputation, and a local band had a Triple Rec half-stack which sounded pretty mean.
I got my guitar set up at a local shop, and when they gave it back they let me play it on a Dual Rec with a standard cab to make sure the guitar was ok.

I played one note and was converted.

Within four months I'd bought my beloved Single Rec half-stack (not bad for a student).

I heard my first "Boogie" about 1984 and it was a MkIIB in a local guitar shop. I was shocked how the 1x12" combo wiped the floor of all the other amps in the store. These included some (at the time)vintage Marshall and hot on the scene Laney heads + 4x12's. I was hooked. I bought my MarkI in the winter of '88 and never looked back.

I used Marshalls for about 15 years and it was time for something new. I wanted something more than a single channel amp with no fx loop, more gain and versatility.

Unfortunately Marshall isn't making anything that I would bother playing right now.

I really like Mesa's ability to constantly make something new and different AND do it very well. I also like that they build stuff for touring pros but it's obvious they have the guy who plays in a small local band in mind as well.

There wasn't a particular player that made me want to play a Boogie though most of my favorite guitarists play Marshalls.

After Buying EVERY Marshall I was EVER told was "THE AMP" A late 60's 50 watt - A late 70's 100 watt super lead 2 , Jcm900 4100, jcm 900 SLX 100, DSL 100, Dsl 50, Tsl 100..... A Buddy of Mine KEPT telling me to try a Boogie. So I bought a Maverick..... BLEW me away, So I bought another and ran in stereo for awhile.

Eventually I Sold the Mavericks and got a Stiletto Trident & a triple channel Dual Rectifier.

I am ALWAYS looking at different amps, And I have owned a BUNCH over the years. The new Marshall JVM has my eyebrows raised a little, but from what I have read (no hands on yet) the build quality isnt there.

I went to First Class music in Louisville a while back and they are FULLY stocked with everything Mesa and there wasnt one bad built or cheap feature I could find on ANY of the Mesa stuff regardless of the price.

I have also looked into the Carvin V-3's and actually ordered one at one point till the support team kept lying about the ship date. I cancelled and shortly after all the Reviews about bad ones started comming up. (I did have an older X100B for 5 years that NEVER let me down) But I evidently skirted trouble there as well.

Mesa just seems to have it all..... Great sounds, KILLER support, un-matchable build quality.....

a bunch of bands i knew and really liked played boogie amps (rectos and .50 cal heads) and i just loved the sound.

i finally got to play my first boogie, a triple recto and i loved it right away. to me, there's nothing like plugging into a recto and strumming a chord because it always sounds huge.

now i'm deciding whether i want to get a Mark IV or an ENGL powerball. decisions, decisions...

Valtyr said:
I have owned some Line 6 modelers and I often found myself using recto models
I was using a Flextone III and never turned it off of the rectifier setting... was looking at dual recs when i came across this board and other reviews of the Mark IV.

oh yeah, and Jim Marshall.

After playing for a few years in a band with a Marshall and a Fender, I went amp shopping. I played everything I could get my hands on. Then I plugged into a used Mark IV head. It totally blew my mind. The sensitivity, the tone, the options, the gain structure...I have never played an amp that played me...from the first time I played that Mark IV, all the way to now playing my lonestar special, these amps are magical tone devices...they bring out the best in my playing, and they bring out the best in my tone :D

I decided about 6 months ago I wanted a tube amp. I started testing several and checking the opinions on those on another site. Due to seeing so many comments related to Mesas, I decided I needed to check them out. At first glance I thought I'm not looking for a "boutique" amp. Then I played one and it wasn't an issue of hand built or point to point or customization, it was TONE. After trials with the Express 5:25 and Lonestar, day before yesterday I a/b'd the 5:50 (212) and LSS and decided that despite the strong showing of the 5:50 (212), IMO the LSS is in fact worth the additional $. I don't play for a living. Just with friends, at an open mike jam (biker bar :shock: ), and praise/worship at church, so spending $1700.00 might seem foolish. But consider that the last amp I bought was a Fender Princeton Chorus, about 15 years ago.

I just got this mark iv about a week ago and I love it.I was using a friends Mark iv a while back and I fell in love with it then. He also had a recto. We compared amps for a little while and I dug the mark iv and I really liked it so I went with it. Ever since I've been a mesa fan, that's why I had to have one.

I'll never forget the first day I plugged into my first recto......Will never forget it. And then the day when I cranked my C+ for the first time....gives me goosebumps!

Latest posts

Back