The right PRS for a Recto...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaz said:
jdurso said:
Kaz said:
I think you're onto something with that reasoning, Jon. I seriously do. It explains a hell of a lot. Like think of it this way, a 24 fret LP would probably NOT sound like a "real Les Paul".

If they made Custom 22s with smaller heels and a regular neck I'd buy 'em. That's why I have the 24.

i dont know about the smaller heel but i believe you can get whichever neck you want if you custom order it. its funny because i never liked fat LP necks, always the lower profile necks like on my esp but the prs wide fat neck is a perfect comprimise. not as fat as a les paul but not as thin my ec1000

Hmm. I wonder. If I could 'deal' with the heel and get a regular neck, a 22-fret PRS would be a nice addition (maybe a McCarty?) By the way, the EC-1000 was my first guitar of my own and back then I didn't know better but now I HATE the ESP Thin-U neck. It's so fatiguing and not meaty-sounding at all. I DO, however, like how it feels with the satin finish.

oh and btw: I've started compiling a 'little black book' of amp settings for the Roadster (and my TT). Will share if I find anything nice.

if you ever see a mccarty rosewood or a cu22 rosewood definitely give it a whirl. the rosewood necks add such a great tone im beginning to wonder why you dont see more guitars with them. maybe there are but ive never noticed them.

That is interesting about the neck pickup sounding more aggressive if it is closer to the bridge. I thought it would be the other way around.

FWIW: I don't even notice the heel. I have pretty big hands, so it doesn't bother me at all. I did really like the smaller one on my '91 CU-24 though.

I think the older 22 fret models came with the smaller heels too though.

And, I think, but may be wrong, that you can get a 22 fret model with the Wide Thin neck.

My McCarty is the best playing guitar I've ever owned. And, being pre-beaten, I don't care if it gets a ding.

I have been keeping an eye on the rosewood neck ones. Maybe they don't make many because of the cost of the wood and the extra labor, since it's a bit harder than mahogany.

Monsta-Tone said:
That is interesting about the neck pickup sounding more aggressive if it is closer to the bridge. I thought it would be the other way around.

FWIW: I don't even notice the heel. I have pretty big hands, so it doesn't bother me at all. I did really like the smaller one on my '91 CU-24 though.

I think the older 22 fret models came with the smaller heels too though.

And, I think, but may be wrong, that you can get a 22 fret model with the Wide Thin neck.

My McCarty is the best playing guitar I've ever owned. And, being pre-beaten, I don't care if it gets a ding.

I have been keeping an eye on the rosewood neck ones. Maybe they don't make many because of the cost of the wood and the extra labor, since it's a bit harder than mahogany.

well the they offer East Indian Rosewood necks as an upgradable option. they did have runs in 1998-2000 and 2003-2006 of limited mccartys with either brazilian necks and borads or IRW necks and braz boards. the former was the earlier run of 250, the latter was the 2003 run of 500. But since they offer it as an upgrade you'll see some mccarty rosewoods just floating around not part of those runs (mine is one of those unless prs can correctly identify it as one of the 250). ive actually seen a bunch of craigslist and ebay lately from 1800-3500 depending on whether its a brazilian neck or not and the top and being moons or birds.

also i wasnt saying just the neck pickup was more aggressive, it was the whole guitar felt/sounded more aggressive

so... NEW GUITAR DAY. got it today and so far pretty amazing. i'm gonna bring this one to GC tomorrow and compare it to the one i originally fell in love with (that one is also 1200 more) to see if the same vibe is there. its hard for me to compare the two without them going through the same amp with the same everything... so this story may not be over yet. but here are some pics.

prsmccartybraz057.jpg

prsmccartybraz077.jpg

prsmccartybraz038.jpg

prsmccartybraz052.jpg

and some more with the whole "family" and the king of the house... if anyone wants to see the whole bucket here's the link: http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/durs836_2008/PRS%20McCarty%20Brazilian/

prsmccartybraz008.jpg

prsmccartybraz012.jpg

prsmccartybraz042.jpg

prsmccartybraz055.jpg

Oh man, Jon! I'm psyched to see that you got your McBrazzie! And a bit envious too, I might add, nice score! Looks even nicer than the first pics you sent me. 8)

thanks guys... it sounds killer through the roadster. i had to change my settings around but a little more tinkering and i'll be able to get all my tones and more. BTW i love the coil tap on these pups. its not quite fender but thats what i like. it has the single coild attack while retaining some body from the guitars weight and the resonance of the rosewood neck.

I already congratulated you on the guitar, but DAYUMMMM! This guitar looks absolutely delicious in these pix!! Now I want one so bad I don't know what to do..................

That guitar is very nice- I also like the chrome appointments vs. "gold" that I typically see around my town. Its just me, but I HATE gold hardware.....I really like the chrome.
Enjoy-

Laskyman

thanks lasky.... i dig it too because it feeds into more the vintagey vibe.

so to finally end my search i went back to GC before and did the pepsi challange with this guitar versus the mccarty brazilian limited i fell in love with a few weeks ago. i wanted to test them out against each other without having to tap my memory as to what the other sounded like. i tested both through a roadster halfstack, a TR halfstack and an express 5:50. i'm pleased to say i like the one i bought better. both were great but i found the other one a little to trebley and not as smooth. it was huge for me because i'll never second guess if i got the wrong one. so i'm pleased to say this is a keeper and will stay with me hopefully a long long time. now its a question of whether to dress it up a little with some rosewood pup rings, and some rosewood/abalone tuner pegs :twisted:

Latest posts

Back