The right PRS for a Recto...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaz said:
theaero said:
I would buy 2305982305 PRSs if they had some with ebony fretboards.

</3 rosewood

They did, in very limited quantities. My friend has a 1993 PRS CE Alder with an ebony board (and kanji inlays), but it wasn't stock, obviously. However, 2008 Artist Packages (before they stopped making AP April 1st), had ebony fretboards with the new birds.

Kind of a shame that they don't offer ebony. I'd really like an ebony custom with BRW neck mwahahahaha.

Durso: Hopefully they WILL have a "Roadster Series II" with that and us 'series I' can get the upgrade (probably for a good chunk of $$ but that'd be worth it, for me...)

I also found out that they make one of their hollowbody IIs (my fav PRS btw) w/ an ebony board, but only one if im correct

GOD i would do ANYTHING for an hollowbody II w/ piezo option, ebony fingerboard, 10 top, artist series PRS.

OSMGDSHGSDG YUM

jdurso said:
so the search is over... i just nabbed a 99 prs mccarty with a braz board and sometype of rosewood neck (either Indian rosewood or brazilian... that debate has yet to come to its finale). by far i think for an all around great tone the mcarty rosewoods fit the bill. the cleans are to die for and lets just say when i got to turn up through a triple rec at GC it was pure heaven. i compared it to just about every other prs and it blew them all away (even the modern eagle). the funny part (at least to me) was the mira was putting to shame some much more expensive guitars. so if anyone digs prsi, loves the recto brutality and wants a tone machine find yourself a mccarty rosewood... you will not be disappointed.

mccartys kick major ***. now i bet you would think its unethical - sacrilegious even to have anything but mccarty pus in there!

scottm said:
jdurso said:
so the search is over... i just nabbed a 99 prs mccarty with a braz board and sometype of rosewood neck (either Indian rosewood or brazilian... that debate has yet to come to its finale). by far i think for an all around great tone the mcarty rosewoods fit the bill. the cleans are to die for and lets just say when i got to turn up through a triple rec at GC it was pure heaven. i compared it to just about every other prs and it blew them all away (even the modern eagle). the funny part (at least to me) was the mira was putting to shame some much more expensive guitars. so if anyone digs prsi, loves the recto brutality and wants a tone machine find yourself a mccarty rosewood... you will not be disappointed.

mccartys kick major ***. now i bet you would think its unethical - sacrilegious even to have anything but mccarty pus in there!

yup mccarty pups are amazing. i think them having a little less output let the guitars naturla tone and the necks great resonance ring through. I'm still a novice when it comes to understanding guitars and what makes what type of tone but i definitely have learned rosewood necks is where its at. makes the whole guitar resonate making it feel like the guitar is alive. the mccarty pups translate that so well to the amp. lets the amp do what its meant to do. i'm finally starting to hear what eveyone else has been saying about emgs.

Congrat's man! I've actually been following your quest on this thread and wondering where you'd end up. Beyond having a GREAT addition to your arsenal.....please know you've successfully got me completely drooling for a PRS again!! (**** you...**** you!.....)

Enjoy & Post some pics!!

UltraGary said:
Congrat's man! I've actually been following your quest on this thread and wondering where you'd end up. Beyond having a GREAT addition to your arsenal.....please know you've successfully got me completely drooling for a PRS again!! (**** you...**** you!.....)

Enjoy & Post some pics!!

ill post pics as soon as it gets here from memphis. its was weird because i ordered a ce24 about 3 or 4 years ago and customized it with the stoptail and gold hardware. i ordered it because i played a ce24 loved it, bought it but brought it back after about 3 days because i couldnt get use to the trem bridge. so after i put in the orderthey told me 3 months... which turned into 6 months... which turned into 9 months... which turned into we dont know when we'll get it to you, all the while it was paid in full ($2100). i ended up getting my money back (and a lot of "i'm sorry's") but i ended up getting a guitar that fit into a few songs my band at the time wrote (fernandes ravelle). that was the worst mistake i ever made because i lost a lot of $$$ on that fernandes. i should have looked into other prsi. im glad though 4 or so years later i found 'the"guitar.

thanks to everyone here for helping me find my new guitar :D

'02 McCarty: Whale Blue
Duncan Alnico II in the Neck
Duncan Alnico II Trembucker in the Bridge
This guitar has been beaten up by whoever had it before me. Way too many dings and dents to count. 4 frets have grooves in them. Action is incredibly low and there is no buzzing from crappy frets.
This is my favorite guitar.

'02 Custom 22: Dark Cherry
DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck
DiMarzio Megadrive in the Bridge
McCarty wiring with Push/Pull Pot & 3-Way Switch
This guitar is so Minty that I rarely play it, although it breathes fire!

'94 CE24: Transparent Red/Black back
Vintage Bass in the Neck
HFS in the Bridge
Originally owned by my guitar teacher. The back of the neck is worn down, there are many worn frets, and the finish on the body has tons of dings and dents. Plays great, sounds incredible. Only thing I don't like is the Wide Thin Neck. Might sell it back to the guy and get a CE22 instead.

Every PRS I've ever played was an incredible instrument. Well...with the exception of the Good Charlotte one (can't remember the guy's name). That one sucked balls.

Find the one you like to play. If it doesn't sound right, change the pups. I haven't played my Strat in years! :lol:

Here's a crappy picture:
PICT0374.jpg

Hehe, thanks man. I see it's faded quite nicely into a grayish blue.

:lol: Depends on the lighting. Sometimes it looks black. This is my favorite color so far out of all of the PRS's that I've owned.

The Custom 22 really breathes fire though, so I tend to play 1 for a few months, then the other. The CE 24 hardly ever gets played. I just seem to really like the fatter necks more.

Monsta-Tone said:
:lol: Depends on the lighting. Sometimes it looks black. This is my favorite color so far out of all of the PRS's that I've owned.

The Custom 22 really breathes fire though, so I tend to play 1 for a few months, then the other. The CE 24 hardly ever gets played. I just seem to really like the fatter necks more.

i noticed through my search that the 22 fret prsi havea lot more fire breathing capability that their 24 fretters. i dont know if it has to do with scale differences or what but every mccarty, cu22, and ce22 just sounding bigger and more aggressive than the 24 fretters. i'm not saying the 24 fretters sound bad by any means just different (maybe slightly thinner which lend themselves to more shred). it could be just me and not knowing enough about guitars too so take it for what its worth.

jdurso said:
Monsta-Tone said:

i noticed through my search that the 22 fret prsi havea lot more fire breathing capability that their 24 fretters. i dont know if it has to do with scale differences or what but every mccarty, cu22, and ce22 just sounding bigger and more aggressive than the 24 fretters. i'm not saying the 24 fretters sound bad by any means just different (maybe slightly thinner which lend themselves to more shred). it could be just me and not knowing enough about guitars too so take it for what its worth.

I conversely don't really like the feel of the 22 fret PRSes as much as the 24s for some reason or other....And it's kinda hard to find regular/standard necks on 22s. A lot of wide-fats.

I had a '91 & a '94 Custom 24 and I sold them. I kept thinking that they were nice guitars, but just not right for me.

After about a year, I started missing the quality and tone of the PRS's, so I got a McCarty that was pre-beaten (having 2 small kids means that it's gonna get dings), and it just feels right to me. It's exactly what I was looking for all along.

I guess that's why there are so many models of guitars and amps out there.

I used to only play Jacksons and Ibanez, until I got tendonitis. Took me 10 years to get over it. My chops are nowhere near what they used to be, but I'm having fun. That's all that counts to me.

jdurso said:
Monsta-Tone said:

Nope. That's the complete opposite to reality !!! Notice he hasn't got the std pups in the 22 fretters, because.....well.....to be kind, they are quite low output and have very little 'bite' or high end. Ok for blues but not breathing fire !!?? The HFS is a seriously good rock pup, try one in a 22 fretter if you prefer the wide fat necks !!

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
jdurso said:
Monsta-Tone said:

Nope. That's the complete opposite to reality !!! Notice he hasn't got the std pups in the 22 fretters, because.....well.....to be kind, they are quite low output and have very little 'bite' or high end. Ok for blues but not breathing fire !!?? The HFS is a seriously good rock pup, try one in a 22 fretter if you prefer the wide fat necks !!

trust me i agree 100% with you on the hfs but (and again it could just be me) i also think a little lower output pup like the dragon or mccarty lets your amp breathe more. if you have a medium/low gain amp you wont get fir brathing but with a high gain amp your letting the amp and/or OD pedal do the fire breathing while the pups are translating the resonance of the guitar woods. i found the really hot pups take over the tone of the guitar itself and almost sound like they choke the amps gain a little. again this is me trying to translate what my ears were picking up. thats why i went for the mccarty because it let the amp breathe and do its job where as when i play my ec1000, i feel the pickups really take over everything and instead of fire breathing its more like an incinerator, almost too much output. also (and i could be wrong about this) adding those extra frets, the pups will pickup the waves at a different point on the strings... its alkmost like where the pups are in relation to the scale, the 22 fretters pickup a fatter tone and the 24 fretters a thinner tone. to me thinner is better for guys that speed pick and shred because the tone is much cleaner. again all speculation on my part, the experts can correct me if im wrong.

I think you're onto something with that reasoning, Jon. I seriously do. It explains a hell of a lot. Like think of it this way, a 24 fret LP would probably NOT sound like a "real Les Paul".

If they made Custom 22s with smaller heels and a regular neck I'd buy 'em. That's why I have the 24.

Kaz said:
I think you're onto something with that reasoning, Jon. I seriously do. It explains a hell of a lot. Like think of it this way, a 24 fret LP would probably NOT sound like a "real Les Paul".

If they made Custom 22s with smaller heels and a regular neck I'd buy 'em. That's why I have the 24.

i dont know about the smaller heel but i believe you can get whichever neck you want if you custom order it. its funny because i never liked fat LP necks, always the lower profile necks like on my esp but the prs wide fat neck is a perfect comprimise. not as fat as a les paul but not as thin my ec1000

The only real 'tonal' difference twixt the 22 and 24's other than the pups is the position of the neck pup. That just gives a more mellow tone as it's nearer the nut.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
The only real 'tonal' difference twixt the 22 and 24's other than the pups is the position of the neck pup. That just gives a more mellow tone as it's nearer the nut.

so the bridge pups on both guitars are picking up the string vibs at the same spot relative to the scale? It sounds like you know better than i as i'm just going of of what my ears were interpretting. its very counter intuitive to what ive thought for a while that hotter pickups would be more aggressive than lower output ones but in the case of comparing the mccarty to the custom and ce 24 my ears were hearing different. not that the hfs's werent throwing out more signal, it just sounded a lot thinner and more articulate. the mccarty sounded "bigger" and more aggressive. all of this was through the same amp with the same settings, same cable, same everything. i felt the same about the cu22s compared to the cu/ce24s too.

jdurso said:
Kaz said:

i dont know about the smaller heel but i believe you can get whichever neck you want if you custom order it. its funny because i never liked fat LP necks, always the lower profile necks like on my esp but the prs wide fat neck is a perfect comprimise. not as fat as a les paul but not as thin my ec1000

Hmm. I wonder. If I could 'deal' with the heel and get a regular neck, a 22-fret PRS would be a nice addition (maybe a McCarty?) By the way, the EC-1000 was my first guitar of my own and back then I didn't know better but now I HATE the ESP Thin-U neck. It's so fatiguing and not meaty-sounding at all. I DO, however, like how it feels with the satin finish.

oh and btw: I've started compiling a 'little black book' of amp settings for the Roadster (and my TT). Will share if I find anything nice.

Latest posts

Back