Royal Atlantic has docked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don@Haggertys:

I remember a video you guys did with the TA that had a similar looking cab, right? I can't wait to hear your take on the RA. Are you still considering doing a comparison to the ED? Perhaps, doing a comparison to the Stiletto would be good as well.

BostonRedSox said:
Don@Haggertys:

I remember a video you guys did with the TA that had a similar looking cab, right? I can't wait to hear your take on the RA. Are you still considering doing a comparison to the ED? Perhaps, doing a comparison to the Stiletto would be good as well.

As a Stiletto owner, I give you my word that if you do a "Best of Boogie's Brits" comparison, I'll purchase my next amp from you! I know videos are a lot of work, and you sell more than just Mesas, but you would help a lot of people out. Feel free to use the name, too. ;)

ifailedshapes said:
BostonRedSox said:
Don@Haggertys:

As a Stiletto owner, I give you my word that if you do a "Best of Boogie's Brits" comparison, I'll purchase my next amp from you! I know videos are a lot of work, and you sell more than just Mesas, but you would help a lot of people out. Feel free to use the name, too. ;)

+1

Good video title too!

BostonRedSox said:
Don@Haggertys:

We kind of went overboard on this video! I don't know if it will fit within the 15 minute YouTube limit. We will absolutely be doing a RA vs ED comparison. It will be the next video we shoot, which might be in two weeks.

Here's a list of clips we did for the RA:

Chan 1: Sweep of the gain control and all tone controls
Chan 1: Clean
Chan 1: Overdriven + full attenuation

Chan 2 Lo: Sweep of the gain control and all tone controls
Chan 2 Lo: Lower gain tone
Chan 2 Lo: Higher gain tone

Chan 2 Hi: Sweep of the gain control and all tone controls
Chan 2 Hi: Lower gain tone
Chan 2 Hi: Higher gain scooped tone

Channel Balance: Illustrating how you can set Channel 2 Lo to be in power tube clip, but Channel 2 Hi to have more headroom for higher preamp gain, all while balancing the volume with the attenuators.

Attenuation Settings: All five attenuator settings, across all three preamp circuits are demonstrated. All of the audio clips were normalized in Pro Tools so you'll hear them at the same volume regardless of the attenuator settings. This one is quite an eye opener.

It should be pretty comprehensive... but I'm sure there are things I missed..... and I'll need to do it all over with 6L6's. :lol:

ifailedshapes said:
BostonRedSox said:
Don@Haggertys:

Alright, it's settled then. Battle of the Brits it is! Great idea! :D

HaggertysMusic said:
BostonRedSox said:
Don@Haggertys:

We kind of went overboard on this video! I don't know if it will fit within the 15 minute YouTube limit. We will absolutely be doing a RA vs ED comparison. It will be the next video we shoot, which might be in two weeks.

Here's a list of clips we did for the RA:

Chan 1: Sweep of the gain control and all tone controls
Chan 1: Clean
Chan 1: Overdriven + full attenuation

Chan 2 Lo: Sweep of the gain control and all tone controls
Chan 2 Lo: Lower gain tone
Chan 2 Lo: Higher gain tone

Chan 2 Hi: Sweep of the gain control and all tone controls
Chan 2 Hi: Lower gain tone
Chan 2 Hi: Higher gain scooped tone

Channel Balance: Illustrating how you can set Channel 2 Lo to be in power tube clip, but Channel 2 Hi to have more headroom for higher preamp gain, all while balancing the volume with the attenuators.

Attenuation Settings: All five attenuator settings, across all three preamp circuits are demonstrated. All of the audio clips were normalized in Pro Tools so you'll hear them at the same volume regardless of the attenuator settings. This one is quite an eye opener.

It should be pretty comprehensive... but I'm sure there are things I missed..... and I'll need to do it all over with 6L6's. :lol:

That sounds WICKED! I am very excited. Your video will be up just in time for me to try out some of the settings you post. What's your feeling on this amp Don? You seem to have a good handle on the Mesa brand, and you work at a music shop -- how do you think the Mesa RA will end up faring? I told Tien on the phone, as we discussed other amps, that I believed the RA is a huge sleeper amp for 2011 and beyond. This was based on the clips Mesa provided of the amp, which to my ears, were fantastic. It seemed like a good overall rock amp for people who don't necessarily play metal and find the Dual Rectifier a bit too low-midrangey. I've noticed though that the buzz surrounding this amp is surprisingly quiet at the moment. Of course, the amp world today is a lot different than say it was in '92, when Mesa released the Dual Recto. There is a lot of competition out there.

HaggertysMusic said:
ifailedshapes said:
BostonRedSox said:
Don@Haggertys:

Alright, it's settled then. Battle of the Brits it is! Great idea! :D

Sweet Don, I hope you get the time to make this happen! You should be receiving props from Tien and Marcus over at Mesa for your work.

If by props you mean free amps, then I totally agree!

Don's Mark V videos really have me considering trying to find a way to swing one. :)

Though we can't forget Andy at Pro Guitar Shop, too. He really upped the ante for gear demos, and for that we should all be thankful.

ifailedshapes said:
If by props you mean free amps, then I totally agree!

Don's Mark V videos really have me considering trying to find a way to swing one. :)

Though we can't forget Andy at Pro Guitar Shop, too. He really upped the ante for gear demos, and for that we should all be thankful.

Yeah, Andy is good too. Plus, I am fond of him because I am a native Oregonian as well, now living in a coastal Massachusetts town. Don's demos are more comprehensive though because he looks over the little things about owning a Mesa, like speaker swaps, comparing cleans, and comparing amps (the Stiletto, ED, and Lonestar video comparison was pretty good).

BostonRedSox said:
That sounds WICKED! I am very excited. Your video will be up just in time for me to try out some of the settings you post. What's your feeling on this amp Don? You seem to have a good handle on the Mesa brand, and you work at a music shop -- how do you think the Mesa RA will end up faring? I told Tien on the phone, as we discussed other amps, that I believed the RA is a huge sleeper amp for 2011 and beyond. This was based on the clips Mesa provided of the amp, which to my ears, were fantastic. It seemed like a good overall rock amp for people who don't necessarily play metal and find the Dual Rectifier a bit too low-midrangey. I've noticed though that the buzz surrounding this amp is surprisingly quiet at the moment. Of course, the amp world today is a lot different than say it was in '92, when Mesa released the Dual Recto. There is a lot of competition out there. I like Mesa's because of their warranties, quality, and flexibility. They are fantastic gigging amps.

Personally, I haven't been this excited about an amp in a long time. Probably not since the Mark V. This kind of amp is right up my alley, has the tones I like to hear, and is very innovative with the multi-soak attenuator, which is not only more functional than the run of the mill power brake, but it sounds exceptionally good.

How it will fare sales wise is a whole different discussion. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm not going to be shocked if we continue to sell 10 Mark V's to one RA. Like you said, the RA is pretty much flying under the radar, a lot like the ED. The Mark V has an absolutely stunning buzz surrounding it, and deservedly so.

In some circles it seems like the 'boutique' players turn their nose up at boogie these days and I don't get that. I suppose it's their loss. Hopefully enough buzz gets generated so that people will check it out and if they give it a chance, the tone will speak for itself.

Again, personally, I think this is probably my favorite amp out there right now, and everyone around the shop has tended to agree with me thus far. :)

BostonRedSox said:
Sweet Don, I hope you get the time to make this happen! You should be receiving props from Tien and Marcus over at Mesa for your work.

We make time to film every week! Our goal is to film on monday, release on friday. This week is tough because I'm going out of town... but in two weeks there's no reason why we cant have the battle of the brits video out for your viewing enjoyment.

And for the record, I've never received a free amplifier from boogie. :D If John Petrucci still has to pay for his amps, you better believe that I do. Our shop was honored to receive the spirit of art in technology award in 2010 though. We were VERY happy to have been given that recognition.

HaggertysMusic said:
BostonRedSox said:
That sounds WICKED! I am very excited. Your video will be up just in time for me to try out some of the settings you post. What's your feeling on this amp Don? You seem to have a good handle on the Mesa brand, and you work at a music shop -- how do you think the Mesa RA will end up faring? I told Tien on the phone, as we discussed other amps, that I believed the RA is a huge sleeper amp for 2011 and beyond. This was based on the clips Mesa provided of the amp, which to my ears, were fantastic. It seemed like a good overall rock amp for people who don't necessarily play metal and find the Dual Rectifier a bit too low-midrangey. I've noticed though that the buzz surrounding this amp is surprisingly quiet at the moment. Of course, the amp world today is a lot different than say it was in '92, when Mesa released the Dual Recto. There is a lot of competition out there. I like Mesa's because of their warranties, quality, and flexibility. They are fantastic gigging amps.

Personally, I haven't been this excited about an amp in a long time. Probably not since the Mark V. This kind of amp is right up my alley, has the tones I like to hear, and is very innovative with the multi-soak attenuator, which is not only more functional than the run of the mill power brake, but it sounds exceptionally good.

How it will fare sales wise is a whole different discussion. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm not going to be shocked if we continue to sell 10 Mark V's to one RA. Like you said, the RA is pretty much flying under the radar, a lot like the ED. The Mark V has an absolutely stunning buzz surrounding it, and deservedly so.

In some circles it seems like the 'boutique' players turn their nose up at boogie these days and I don't get that. I suppose it's their loss. Hopefully enough buzz gets generated so that people will check it out and if they give it a chance, the tone will speak for itself.

Again, personally, I think this is probably my favorite amp out there right now, and everyone around the shop has tended to agree with me thus far. :)

+1

I don't get why players who are strictly boutique give Boogie amps such a hard time either. I think for some of those guys, it is just straight Mesa fatigue. And then there are the anti-PCB crowd ...

Speaking of the Lone Star/Stiletto/Electra Dyne video, one improvement I would make is playing the same riff on each amp being compared. In that video (and in others) you play the same song on all of the amps, but you show different parts of the song on evey amp. It doesn't make for a fair comparison to hear low low chords on one amp, and then high riffing on the next. If you could please be more consistent with the video switching, your videos would be better for it.

I only say this because you openly encourage feedback. Other than that, good job!

Oh, and typing all of these posts on an iPad really sucks. I have to fix typos at least once per line!

ifailedshapes said:
Speaking of the Lone Star/Stiletto/Electra Dyne video, one improvement I would make is playing the same riff on each amp being compared. In that video (and in others) you play the same song on all of the amps, but you show different parts of the song on evey amp. It doesn't make for a fair comparison to hear low low chords on one amp, and then high riffing on the next. If you could please be more consistent with the video switching, your videos would be better for it.

I only say this because you openly encourage feedback. Other than that, good job!

Oh, and typing all of these posts on an iPad really sucks. I have to fix typos at least once per line!

Get the charger/keyboard thingy. Makes life easier. I only have a MBP or iMAC, but I've used the iPad and the keyboard thingy and it works great.

BostonRedSox said:
HaggertysMusic said:
BostonRedSox said:

+1

I don't get why players who are strictly boutique give Boogie amps such a hard time either. I think for some of those guys, it is just straight Mesa fatigue. And then there are the anti-PCB crowd ...

Agreed. I think most people think of Mesa as "those Dual Rectifier guys", and the DR is a very polarizing amp. Most people either love or hate it.

BostonRedSox said:
ifailedshapes said:

Get the charger/keyboard thingy. Makes life easier. I only have a MBP or iMAC, but I've used the iPad and the keyboard thingy and it works great.

I had one and returned it because it's too bulky in a bag. I'm just too lazy to bust out the MBP.

HaggertysMusic said:
We will absolutely be doing a RA vs ED comparison. It will be the next video we shoot, which might be in two weeks.

This is the one that a bunch of people I know are waiting for !

Guys, just to let you know, the man responsible for all our videography (Nate Haggerty) was in a motorcycle accident this morning. Someone pulled right out in front of him. Thankfully he is alive and does not appear to have suffered any brain or spinal injuries.

He's got some broken bones, and his face will have to be reconstructed, so he's got a long road ahead of him still, but he's alive and we are all so grateful for that.

Needless to say, I am uncertain as to the status of our videos for the immediate future.

Back