Royal Atlantic has docked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hype surrounding this amp does seem pretty slow though. It seems like nobody is talking it. I haven't even found any talk about it recently in any other online forum, which makes me wonder if Mesa maybe waited too long after NAMM to release them? I know there was some good hype to be found about these amps online shortly after the NAMM show. I expected there to be at least some YouTube videos out by now or something. All I know is, one dude in my area did buy an RA. That much I am sure of.

Maybe the looks are killing some of the buzz? I love everything about this amp except the looks. Mesa makes some great looking amps and IMHO this is not one of them.

I agree. It is fricken hideous. I'm still not sure about purchasing this amp quite yet. I'm holding off too. I decided this yesterday. I want more cut in my sound, so British voiced amps are definitely the way to go for me. I just don't know if sticking with Mesa is the right route to go. Dr. Z is making a new Maz 38 that looks killer. So does the Bogner Goldfinger.

we've got our first RA video up from a user online ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUiaCeraxk

we've got our first RA video up from a user online ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUiaCeraxk

Wow, I think that video sounds excellent! I'm surprised how nice the cleans sound, in fact all the tones on that video sound great to me.
Yeah, Mesa should have at least offered a few tolex and grill color choices.

I guess I`m just old fashioned but I think they look great!......Of course I`m 53yrs old and mine is confirmed by FedExto be delivered to my front door tommorrow! yes the video is ok too! jeffp

JeffP: Congrats man. I know you will be enthralled by your new gear tomorrow, but could you provide some good clips for us to listen to? It is so different hearing clips than just playing an amp at a store. I am hoping this amp has more dynamics to it than previous high gain Mesa amps. For lighter crunch, I really enjoy harmonically rich crunch tones.

Also, could you take a pic of the hidden reverb input. I couldn't find it when I played the amp.

my son Heath will be here. We`ll see what happens! The decision is already made to try it out for two-three weeks and if not completely satisfied it will go back for the ED.....But of course i really hope it`s a keeper. And thanks we are both pretty excited. We`ve been waiting a long time. By the way the bogner extacy classic is for sale. jeffp

Yeah, the Ecstasy is one spendy amp! How old is it and what is the going rate? I doubt I'd be interested though, but it's good to know in case I change my mind.

If the Boogie is what it seems like it could be, I am definitely jumping on board and ordering one. Right now, I am a bit scared to. GC isn't carrying them yet, and most smaller stores have limited return policies that include restocking fees. The Bogner Goldfinger 45 and the new Dr. Z Maz 38 that comes out next month is also making me rethink the RA.

Have fun man!

theBogner was bought brand new maybe six months ago..........It`s for my son. I`ll have him reply later today.jeffp

RA arrived @ 4PM...wow!.......cuts like a knife......pretty much classic rock all the way.......a lot of experimenting to do yet...just checking all the functions and making sure everything is working and no bugs or problems anywhere. Buid quality is excellent as expected!....so far i`m VERY PLEASED! jeffp

jeffp said:
RA arrived @ 4PM...wow!.......cuts like a knife......pretty much classic rock all the way.......a lot of experimenting to do yet...just checking all the functions and making sure everything is working and no bugs or problems anywhere. Buid quality is excellent as expected!....so far i`m VERY PLEASED! jeffp

Congrats on the new amp. I'm sure you'll be getting lots of play time in today. Please let us know more of your thoughts when you've had a chance to play it more.

Does it really cut like a knife? I must've tried it through a cab that didn't show that side of the RA off. It definitely felt British, but not as cutting as say the Stiletto or a Dr. Z. I did however only try the amp through a 1x12 Mesa closed back cab. The guy at the store thought it would sound best through a 3/4 back cab with C90s.

I am glad you are happy with your amp thus far. Congrats!

BRS;I have a 2x12 rectifier cab with V30`s........it cut!...I`m not much on the C90`s for rock. I had a 2x12 5:50 w/C90`s. The clean was great!. We unhooked the combo speakers jack and hooked up the 2x12 reco and it was pretty clear to me the V30`s were better for rockNroll. That`s just my opinion. Everybody`s got one. tommorrow we`ll hook it up on my sons mills acoustic 4x12(V30`s) and see how it sounds. As far as the reverb input there`s only a dial. Looks the samel as the three attenuator dials. jeffp

Hey Jeff:

That sounds awesome man! I'll have to try the amp out with the Recto cab for sure. I saw the reverb knob when I was playing the amp. I just couldn't find the hidden reverb jack. The manual states that there is a hidden jack in case you want to hook up a pedal to manually turn off the reverb when you want it to be off.

-BRS

The RA is a flat out amazing amp. We had two land in the store and I've been thoroughly impressed. It's British for sure but I hear little tonal facets from the rectifier and mark series as well. The blue channel has been my favorite, it just sings and is very dynamic. Red can be set up for creamy leads or a tight tracking rhythm sound. I was able to pull off a very satisfying "pull me under" style crunchy rhythm in the red mode.

The clean channel is perhaps my favorite of any Mesa amp. Very big and bold with TONS of headroom. You can also overdrive it and use the attenuator to drop the volume creating very very fat and soul-full overdriven tone. Plugged a Suhr riot pedal into the clean channel and it sounded amazing too.

One tip my boogie rep threw at me, and I've found this to work very well, is to set up your red channel with no attenuation and set the volume between a quarter and a half. Turn the blue channels volume almost all the way up and use the attenuator to match the volume of the red channel. You get the headroom for the higher gain tone and more power amp clip for the lower gain tone, all at the same volume. This really seems like a sweet spot.

We are filming this amp the next two Monday's. First we will try and show every tone we can think of in this amp. The second video will be a comparison with the Electra dyne, the amp with which this one is frequently and unnecessarily compared to.

Major props to Mesa boogie on hitting a home run with the RA.

Cool Don, keep us the great work. You have emerged as a major player in the realm of online gear demos. Thanks for the good information!

HaggertysMusic said:
We are filming this amp the next two Monday's. First we will try and show every tone we can think of in this amp. The second video will be a comparison with the Electra dyne, the amp with which this one is frequently and unnecessarily compared to.

I'm really looking forward to these vids. Your reviews are always very well produced
and very informative. Great chops too BTW.
Can't wait for the ED and RA comparison showdown.
I also agree with "frequently and unnecessarily compared to".
Apples and oranges....IMO.

Birdy said:
HaggertysMusic said:

I'm really looking forward to these vids. Your reviews are always very well produced
and very informative. Great chops too BTW.
Can't wait for the ED and RA comparison showdown.
I also agree with "frequently and unnecessarily compared to".
Apples and oranges....IMO.

What do you think would be the best way to approach the comparison video? Would you set each amp up identically and a/b the results, or would you eq them differently? I would think running the RA with no attenuation and both amps at full power would be important too, right?

Much thanks to everyone's kind responses to our videos. We are constantly learning and any and all feedback really helps us out!

Back