Royal Atlantic has docked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HaggertysMusic said:
Birdy said:
HaggertysMusic said:
We are filming this amp the next two Monday's. First we will try and show every tone we can think of in this amp. The second video will be a comparison with the Electra dyne, the amp with which this one is frequently and unnecessarily compared to.

I'm really looking forward to these vids. Your reviews are always very well produced
and very informative. Great chops too BTW.
Can't wait for the ED and RA comparison showdown.
I also agree with "frequently and unnecessarily compared to".
Apples and oranges....IMO.

What do you think would be the best way to approach the comparison video? Would you set each amp up identically and a/b the results, or would you eq them differently? I would think running the RA with no attenuation and both amps at full power would be important too, right?

Much thanks to everyone's kind responses to our videos. We are constantly learning and any and all feedback really helps us out!

I think EQ-ing each to where it sounds the best is the way to go. As well as a hearing how they sound cranked I would especially like to hear a comparison of how they sound at "the kids are asleep and I finally got some time to practice quietly" levels. Master Volume usability is important - well at least to me.

Thanks!

This is some cool stuff. I love when Mesa introduces a new amp!
jeffp, congratulations on the new amp. Good luck and keep the reviews coming.

HaggertysMusic, I agree with LesMesa on comparing the two amps dialed in to where you think they are at their best.
I watched a YouTube comparison between a Stiletto Ace and a Marshall DSL50 not too long ago where they had both amps set straight up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOKqCHAhf

To me the Stiletto could have sounded a LOT better if it had been dialed in to it's full potential. IMHO
I know it's all subjective but........

How about a Royal Atlantic / Stiletto Deuce II shoot out?

I also agree with Les Mesa about dialing the two in where they are at their best. Thats the most important thing anyway!....Don please hurry. I`m struggling the overwhelming mids! jeffp

HaggertysMusic said:
What do you think would be the best way to approach the comparison video? Would you set each amp up identically and a/b the results, or would you eq them differently? I would think running the RA with no attenuation and both amps at full power would be important too, right?

Much thanks to everyone's kind responses to our videos. We are constantly learning and any and all feedback really helps us out!

I think a 3-part review would be perfect. Both amps are unique and deserve more than a comparison, but they have enough similarities to worthy the comparison.

Part 1) Electra Dyne
Part 2) Royal Atlantic
Part 3) Comparison

ifailedshapes said:
HaggertysMusic said:

I think a 3-part review would be perfect. Both amps are unique and deserve more than a comparison, but they have enough similarities to worthy the comparison.

Part 1) Electra Dyne
Part 2) Royal Atlantic
Part 3) Comparison

+1

We filmed the royal tonight. WOW. That's all I'm going to say. WOW.

The amp tracked ridiculously well. I'm thinking this may be my favorite boogie ever. I'm not positive... But I'm leaning that way. My next amp purchase personally was going to be a Suhr Badger 30, but I have to say I'm reconsidering.

The video should be up on Friday and you guys can judge for yourself.

I am taking my GREs on Thursday, but my custom Royal Atlantic is supposed to arrive that day in the mail. Hopefully, I'll be there to receive it! When I receive it I will post pictures and clips. At worst, you guys will get some detailed pics on Friday. The amp looks sweet by the way. It has British Cabernet Bronco tolex, tan leather handle/corners/piping, white faceplate, and the new cream and tan grill cloth. Mesa also loads these combos with a V30 and a C90. I can't wait! It'll be a heavy 87lb sucker, but much easier than carting around a 50lb head and 60lb 2x12 cab. I'm going to have to order one of those foldable dollies from GC.

Jeffp, no clips man? What's up, give us some more of your thoughts on the amp.

Here is something a bit strange ... Mesa took down their pdf of the Royal Atlantic's user manual. I wonder what they are changing about it? Perhaps they realized the manual states that there is a hidden reverb jack in the back, which users can employ if they want more control over the reverb. I didn't see this jack when I tried out the amp, but I also didn't go searching around for a hidden jack either! I wonder what the problem is, or if it was just a weird mistake ...

This is posted on Mesa's website about the cool hidden reverb jack:

"The Royal's got Reverb. Lush all-tube Reverb drenches the RA100's three Modes with a beautiful 3-D halo and assignable choices on where to use it for the best footswitchable results. A 3-position Reverb MODE DEFEAT mini toggle in the REVERB section of the Rear Panel lets you have the Reverb active in all Modes "ON" (toggle center), Defeated in HI (on in CLEAN and LO) or Defeated in LO and HI (on in CLEAN). The RA100 also provides a master REVERB BYPASS switch that enables you to remove the REVERB and all associated tubes and circuitry from the signal path for a more true-to-(at least Brit)vintage response. And if you still need more control than this sophisticated approach to applying REVERB offers… we've provided a "hidden Reverb kill" jack on the tube side of the chassis giving those who "don't mind the dance" total control."

I wonder if they needed to make some changes to the original RA manual, and more so, what those changes were if this was the case.

I`m not handling the super strong mids!....sooooo overwhelming. I`m not sure. got it under control with an EQ ......but struggling big time!it may not be for me. I`m waiting for Hagerty`s video.You were right about the reverb kill.....And i noticed when the manual was taken off for a day or so also. jeffp

Hey Jeff:

Yeah man, I think the strong mids is going to be the nature of the beast. I'm guessing Mesa really wanted to give people a British flavored amp that didn't have the nasty higher frequencies associated with Marshalls and the Stiletto series line, while also giving players the ability to have the clean headroom and EL34 power tube clip all in one amp. People enjoyed the way the Stiletto would cut through the mix, but would also complain about the amp's brightness as well.

The mids are what attracted me to the amp. It is British through and through, but it has tighter low end than I'm used to hearing through a Brit voiced amp.

I hope everything works out for you man! If not, perhaps the Dual Rectifier is what you need.

Have you talked to Mesa about the problems you're having? Also, do you have any thoughts on the manual's disappearance from their website. When did you first notice it was taken down?

JeffP: Don't forget, V-30s also have a very pronounced midrange quality to them. That might be your issue right there. Perhaps changing speakers would help? The combo, surprisingly, comes with a mix of speakers. I can't recall Mesa doing that sort of speaker mix in their combos before. Very interesting.

What do you think about the cleans? How does the amp compare to the Ecstasy? Have you tried copping the tones Mesa listed on their video clips? My experience with the amp, and their "alternative" titled clip (which sounds like a Foo Fighters recording) is what really sold me on buying the amp.

BostonRedSox said:
I am taking my GREs on Thursday, but my custom Royal Atlantic is supposed to arrive that day in the mail. Hopefully, I'll be there to receive it! When I receive it I will post pictures and clips. At worst, you guys will get some detailed pics on Friday. The amp looks sweet by the way. It has British Cabernet Bronco tolex, tan leather handle/corners/piping, white faceplate, and the new cream and tan grill cloth. Mesa also loads these combos with a V30 and a C90. I can't wait! It'll be a heavy 87lb sucker, but much easier than carting around a 50lb head and 60lb 2x12 cab. I'm going to have to order one of those foldable dollies from GC.

Looks like they photographed your amp and stuck it in the gallery. Congratulations!
http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=597

HaggertysMusic said:
BostonRedSox said:

Looks like they photographed your amp and stuck it in the gallery. Congratulations!
http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=597

Holy crow, I think you are right! That is nuts! I ordered it from another online dealer and they were shocked how quickly I responded. They had just put the amp's info up online, but hadn't taken it out of the box yet and took pictures of it yet. I knew I wanted this amp to be a custom one, so I took a chance on ordering it blindly. Plus, I would have no long wait for a custom one to show up! I hope you are right! If so, that means there is a snakeskin tolex'd RA out there somewhere!

jeffp said:
I`m not handling the super strong mids!....sooooo overwhelming. I`m not sure. got it under control with an EQ ......but struggling big time!it may not be for me. I`m waiting for Hagerty`s video.You were right about the reverb kill.....And i noticed when the manual was taken off for a day or so also. jeffp

This is kind of interesting. I found the amp to have a very responsive mid control, even giving me a very satisfying scooped tone. The mid control seems to me to be a lot more responsive when compared to other boogies.

The combo, surprisingly, comes with...mix in their combos before. Very interesting.

The V30 + C90 is a very cool combo. Looking forward to hearing it with the RA. You've always been able to special order speaker combinations like that though... I order lone star classics with one V30 and one C90 all the time and they sound amazing.

ifailedshapes said:
Dang man, that looks killer! It would be really cool if they put cream colored knobs on it, too.

True, true! I think that will be something I look into, swapping the knobs for white ones.

HaggertysMusic said:
jeffp said:

This is kind of interesting. I found the amp to have a very responsive mid control, even giving me a very satisfying scooped tone. The mid control seems to me to be a lot more responsive when compared to other boogies.

The combo, surprisingly, comes with...mix in their combos before. Very interesting.

The V30 + C90 is a very cool combo. Looking forward to hearing it with the RA. You've always been able to special order speaker combinations like that though... I order lone star classics with one V30 and one C90 all the time and they sound amazing.

Yeah, I'm glad you do that by the way. I noticed on your website the other day that you have in stock Mark Vs with V30s. Very smart. I think that amp, from your demos, sounds way better with those speakers.

BostonRedSox said:
Holy crow, I think you are right! That is nuts! I ordered it from another online dealer and they were shocked how quickly I responded. They had just put the amp's info up online, but hadn't taken it out of the box yet and took pictures of it yet. I knew I wanted this amp to be a custom one, so I took a chance on ordering it blindly. Plus, I would have no long wait for a custom one to show up! I hope you are right! If so, that means there is a snakeskin tolex'd RA out there somewhere!

I would much rather have yours over the snakeskin. I'm loving the new cream/tan weave grille. That oozes with class!

You've GOT TO order a set a cream knobs. I don't know what you would be thinking if you didn't. I can't believe boogie shipped it without cream knobs in the first place! Rediculous!!!

Back