Retolexing... where is the seam?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natman

Reaction score
I got a Heartbreaker combo recently and UPS graciously broke the cab in transit along with 2 preamp tubes and a hole in one speaker cone. So lucky me, I get to restore it.

I'm not as pissed as you might think because I have been wanting to attempt this for some time. The PITA is having to put the hours in and my free time is in short supply. I'm also taking the opportunity to have the amp modded by Andy @ Thomas Ampworks (aka Monsta-Tone).

Anyway I pulled off all the tolex in about 90 minutes but for the life of me, I couldn't see the seam! I am guessing there is only 1 seam, but where the heck is it??? The tolex ripped many times and didn't come off cleanly in 1 piece as I expected.

Also, I started sanding off the glue residue with my B&D Mouse/detail sander. It's the only one I have, and I was using 60 grit. I would have loved something coarser like 40 grit but this is all I could find. Any pointers here? This was much slower than expected, nearly 2 hours and I'm only halfway done...

Thanks if you can help!

The seam is on one of the side-bottom edges.

They lay one edge over the other edge and run a razor down and through both along the length of the bottom edge, that way they're both cut at the same time and line up perfectly when you remove the excess material.

If you do a youtube search for the Mesa factory tour they have a segment where they show the dudes in the cab production area tolexing a cab.

you should start with a scraper before sandpaper. made the same mistake with a 1960a cab. scape off as much as you can first, and your paper will last alot longer. oh and go get a proper sander (borrow one if you can)

Latest posts

Back