Mark III blue stripe redplating, quick diagnosis and repair

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ty Jeff! I tested all of my OD's that I can in my amp for DC leakage when fully powered. They all tested fine. Now as you mentioned, I really shouldn't be concerned with ESR with the OD's? What if my amp had a voltage spike or some other accident? A while back after I recapped it, my stupid ars had the amp fully powered and I was using that canned air stuff to blow away dust and such from inside. Then I accidentally hit a high voltage trace and had a mini explosion. All of my OD's turned tan, they eventually turned back to orange. I'm guessing the epoxy interacted with the volatility of the canned air. Point being, could/ would that be any concern for certain components? I measured every component that I could. They all measured in specs. Thoroughly cleaned all pcb's. That happened 4 yrs ago. Thoughts? Thanks for your time! Jim
Henz, yes, as long as there is no leakage at voltage, they are fine. ESR is only a factor for the electrolytic filter caps. I don't know what to make of your incident with the canned air. The only thing I can think of is that the "canned air" also contained some flammable gas of some sort which ignited. Was the PCB really dusty? Dust can burn as well. At any rate, whatever happened was external in nature and shouldn't have affected any components and won't affect anything else, unless there was a residual conductive film of some sort left behind. If the amp works after the incident, don't worry about it.

Ty for your reply! No. It wasn't dusty. Also, I was leaning towards your other theory of residual coating left behind. I've thoroughly cleaned the boards many times. That just bothers me due to the placebo affect. Am I imagining my amp not sounding like it used to prior? Blessings, Jim

Last edited:
Back