Mesa Single Rectifier Solo 50 Series 2 - Mains Voltage Change

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephs

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have one of these in transit that was built for use in Japan, I am in the US. Mesa confirmed that it is wired for 100v and that it will have a transformer that can be wired for 117v operation but they want me to take it to an authorized repair site for the work. I have a solid tech background (including plenty high voltage/tube stuff) and I'm qualified for the work but this is my first time in a Mesa and I want to ask couple questions to prepare.

Schematic:
https://megadistortion.com/megadist...hematics/mesaboogie/RectoVerb 50 Series 2.pdf

A website with a picture:
https://hgecontraptions.blogspot.com/2017/04/mesa-single-rectifier-loop-mod.html

First off, is there a procedure document floating around out there? That would make everything much simpler but I see nothing on google. From pictures of the inside I see two headers on the edge of the board near the big filter caps and it looks like those headers attach to the primary and secondary of the power transformer. It looks (hard to see) like, similar to other boogie models, there are pads for the incoming power wires. If they have been consistent with implementation I'd expect to find pads corresponding with 117 and 100v power. If the schematic is accurate it looks like I need to move the neutral line of mains from a 100v pad to a 117v pad. I'm hoping, but not certain, that I don't have to do anything with the headers themselves but I'm a little worried because I only see two wires coming out the primary portion. If I saw three I'd assume that incoming pads just jumper straight over to the correct taps... two wires makes me suspicious that line and neutral don't change at the pads and I need to re-terminate the header with BLK and BLK/WHT instead of BLK and WHT. Anyone know for sure?

Is the MOV the same regardless of wiring option in this case? Is there anything else people do with regards to incoming power when convenient?

And as an aside, what bushing size do Mesa pots use? They look like 3/8" and I don't want to drill the chassis if they use something a little smaller. I'm planning to make the FX loop series but I want to keep the parallel function as an option. The plan is to get a 25k pot with a SPDT pull switch and use it to disconnect the dry signal (and connect the CCW side of the pot to ground as a "return level"). Not critical right now as I can just do a jumper and leave the pot useless, but if I'm in there anyway I'd like to do it now...

Brian

In case anyone finds this thread in the future. Mesa provided some better pictures and it really is as simple as moving one wire - specifically the white wire on the board under the header from a 100v to 117v pad. The header holds the two taps for the transformer primary.

In case anyone finds this thread in the future. Mesa provided some better pictures and it really is as simple as moving one wire - specifically the white wire on the board under the header from a 100v to 117v pad. The header holds the two taps for the transformer primary.
I have found this thread! I'm moving to the US with a Japanese Rectoverb. I just want to confirm... 1 wire move will make this bad boy US power compatible?

I have found this thread! I'm moving to the US with a Japanese Rectoverb. I just want to confirm... 1 wire move will make this bad boy US power compatible?

I would think so since all these sister models seem to use the same PCB and transformers. If you get stuck I’d be happy to help.

Latest posts

Back