LSC/LSS owners; are you happy with channel2?Want to fix it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the mod makes it fenderish, what would you call it before the mod? marshallish?

And yeah the Metallica tone is far from perfect, but the point is that ch 2 currently allows me to dial in some pretty focused, chunky gain. I'm talking about 90s Metallica mainly. The mids arent nearly as scooped, especially on Load and ReLoad. I don't gig Metallica so perfection is not an issue. I just dont want to lose the ability.

I thought I was able to dial in some pretty good AC/DC tones with my telecaster. How does the mod change those tones?

I'm not skeptical, but I do have specific questions that I'd like to be answered directly before proceeding. Are there any sound clips available to demonstrate the full range of sounds created by this mod? (not using a strat)

Before the mod, I compared it to a cheap TS pedal. That's a little extreme but points toward a sound. Marshally, no. The LSC is known for it's sound because of ch1. Big as Texas, wide as the Rio Grand and all that mesa hype. Ch2 ended up sounding like a muddy river. Where had that big full sound gone. Here's the bottom line. If you don't notice that ch2 sounds different than ch1, and desire that sound(the ch that put this amp on the map) with the higher gain, then what the heck, stick with stock. If your just curious to try it, then whip out your soldering iron. It only takes about an hour or less to do the mod. As for sound clips, I am unaware of any other than djw's on page 8 & 9 on this thread.

Earlier tonight I experimented with cranking the gain control on ch 1 to simulate using a Reeder modded ch 2 for dirty sounds w/o the drive engaged. I could definitely hear the vintage tones described in earlier posts, but I don't think this mod is for me.

Instead of having cloned channels with slightly different settings, I'm going to run it like this:

Ch. 1: pushed clean using a strat for bluesy o.d. and a tele for lo-mid gain sounds. I'll use a TS-type pedal as a boost for the strat and another pedal, probably an Xotic BB preamp, for the tele's boost.

Ch. 2: set up as a platform for mid gain sounds (drive off) and high(er) gain sounds (drive engaged) using various pedals as needed for solo boosts. I like that using different guitars gives very different results with ch 2, i.e. strat (rootsy blues rock), tele (classic rock), and EMG les paul (modern hard rock) without changing any of the amp's settings.

Anyway, I won't be doing the mod. I think using the amp the way I outlined is going to maximize its verasility, for me at least. But if you prefer a more vintage, less compressed and less mid heavy voicing, you should try the mod before giving up on the amp. You just might like it.

Yeah, hey Jaxon. plan-x is right, if you really like the amp as-is, there's no reason to mess with it. However, the mod's really easy to do and undo, so it's a low-risk proposition.

As far as sound quality goes, what comes to my mind when I think about the differences between stock and modded are things like: More transparency. More touch-sensitivity. Clearer, glassier. More open sounding. More complex harmonics. Where stock is darker and thicker, modded is brighter and grittier. There's more texture in the modded ch2, where stock it seemed more buttery.

I don't want to reserve negative adjectives for the stock config because I also liked it. But what made me jump was the idea of keeping the character of ch1 intact in a higher gain form. The mod definitely does this. Again, I liked it before, but without that midrange dominance in the gain, modded ch2 just seems to open up and maintain all of the luscious juiciness that ch1 has -- just with more gain and more harmonics. It translates that expressive quality of the clean to a really gorgeous dirty.

Thing is, I think you'd really like it. AC/DC, no problem. I think the mod really brings out the aggressive character of the amp.

EDIT - ha, I see you've made up your mind. Well, right on. I will say that you'd be surprised by how much gain is on tap with the mod. And you can still really get that smooth, Mick Taylor sound with it, with all the texture in there. Anyway, good luck. :)

Well, you never know what the future holds. I shouldn't say that I'll absolutely never try the mod, but then again I just got the amp a few days ago. I need some time with it as it is so that if I ever do decide to try the mod, I'll be able to appreciate the difference. Thanks for the detailed response.

BTW, how does the mod work for modern rock sounds, i.e. higher gain than AC/DC (liquid gain if you will)? Are the gain and compression still on hand, but not unable to be dialed out, post mod?

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about high-gain particulars. My position on that is usually to use a pedal for that level of compression and scoop; what I want out of an amp tends to be fine control and a good baseline tone that can be pushed nicely, and pedals seem to always fall short on that for me. I'm not even a TS9 fan, to tell the truth. I know that puts me in the minority, so call me crazy.

Anyway I don't think the LS platform is designed to provide really huge amounts of gain. But you definitely don't lose any gain with the mod. The amount of gain is probably the same, just without that mid-heavy pooch. Again, think about that nice ch1 crunch turned up as a baseline, then inject it with that drive stage for pretty typical Boogie cascading gain. So yes, you have the option of lots of compression and gain. Also, don't forget the thick and thicker options, which really (to me) stand out with the mod.

I have found this forum some days ago and I did the "Reeder Mod"!

A totally new Ch 2 and I am more than happy with it! Now the sun shines also on number 2!
It brightens up everything and made it more fenderish with Mesa-spices in it.
I always had some problems tweaking in nice soaring bluesrock sounds. Now it's quick and easy, still enough gain and more personality.

So I like to say thank you to all ye guys, also the sceptical voices.
And special thanks to Charles Reeder!!

Rock on,

Ralf

Has anyone actually measured the minimum/maximum resistance of the two potentiometers being swapped? I'm aware that some people quoted values from a schematic that indicate a same maximum resistance and then thought the same sound could be obtained with and without the mod. Obviously, others disagree by the differences they get listening pre and post mod.

If someone has actually measured the resistances, it'd be great if you'd post them. If someone is planning on performing the mod, then values that would be good to measure for each potentiometer would be the minimum resistance, maximum resistance, and the resistance for the knob turned halfway. For myself, I've been happy with Ch2 of my LSS and don't plan on performing the mod.

Thanks for the information, Monsta-Tone! I imagine minimum resistance are near 0 for both as them (as they typically are on all potentiometers). By the way, I'm just a bit north of you (Albuquerque).

Ralfiroks! No, really, Ralfi Rocks. Dude I like your style. Just dive in and do that mod. You the man! I liken the guys that did the mod to pioneers of the old west, not afraid to discover new horizons. Welcome aboard :D

Monsta-Tone said:
I go up there once in a while, if I remember, I'll look you up.
Sure, drop me a PM, come by and we'll play a few notes.

Right on! You'll have to show me the good stores to hit as well. All I really know about is Grandma's and some of the ones on Solano.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

The mod really does work! There, back on course.

It's been a temperate July with more rain than usual. I'd be glad to hit some stores with you. Guitar Center is the newer heavy-hitter in town. It's actually okay. GC stores in Los Angeles had the pushiest salesmen in the 1980's. I vowed never to return after asking to try a bass and after playing it for a bit the salesman asks how I wanted to pay for it. :roll: But, I think the chain has matured since.

Err, going back on topic: thanks for the feedback on the mod!

After tweaking channel 2 on my LSS for about two years to find the Tone I finally did the mod, switching the gain and master pots on channel 2. My first impressions were a more precise tonality but slightly cleaner. My 13 year-old son noticed the difference right away and comment that the tone was much more distinct and not so muddy. So far, so good. Now I'm inspired to find the right sound with the mod.

I bought the LSS after comparing it side by side with the LSC and the interplay with my guitar, both single and humbuckers, was more pronounced. The problem I have is that the sound I'm looking for is kind of blend between Santana and Eric Johnson for that violin sustain and a SRV/Richie Blackmore for the single coils. I have a V-Twin that I can put in front to really make it sing but it adds a lot of noise. I'd rather not use any pedals at all other than a delay.

Any suggestions for tone setting with the mod would be greatly appreciated.

I did my own LSS last night and one pot number is different, i guess this was mentioned. I am not an amp expert\technician though and for a non-technician it is kind of involved but i took my time. :wink:

Very happy with the results, especially with CH2 Drive on. Really opens it up and lets it roar for rhythm. Now i alway will just leave drive on while on CH2.

Thanks for posting this.

dougn said:
I like pushing the drive higher than the gain or the gain lower than the drive. Helps with the clarity and mud.

plan-x said:
dougn said:
I like pushing the drive higher than the gain or the gain lower than the drive. Helps with the clarity and mud.

After trying out the settings on the modded LSS I hit upon the "Barbeque" sample setting from the owners manual. I found this to be too muddy before the mod but after the mod it cuts through nicely although I bump the presence up to about 11 :D This setting at 5w gives enough overdrive to make the guitar really sing.

Latest posts

Back