LSC/LSS owners; are you happy with channel2?Want to fix it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lou said:
So.............apparently I have a "Reeder" special. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
I have nothing to compare it to. Seller intimates that the channel II had a funny sound to it and the modification corrected that.

I can't help but think that Mesa designed the amp just the way they wanted to. And most certainly could have "cloned" channel II had that been their intent.
And since I was tossed between the Stiletto and the LoneStar, I feel I'm missing out on what sounds like a channel that had more gain to it.

Not much into modding and soldering but I'm going to go back through this thread and figure out how to reverse the mod and see for myself.

I wouldn't say that the amp post mod has less gain at all, it just has a less compressed sound to it. One of my concerns before doing the mod is that it would have less gain but I have not found that to be the case at all. In fact, I have found that I can dial in more gain without it becoming 'muddy' or 'muffled' as I thought it was pre-mod. It keeps the open, lively tone that ch1 has.

At the end of the day, it is all down to your personal tastes, and the best way to check would be to check out a stock amp, easier said than done I know, but I would suggest you get fully aquainted with the amp as it is and decide whether you like it or not before changing back. Like I said, the stock amp doesn't have more gain particularly, but a different basic sound.

Cheers, Simon

Hey Lou:

If you've never heard a LSS without the mod; I can certainly understand why you might want to return your amp to pre-modded condition and then decide for yourself.

If your amp has been modded and you want to reverse the mod....just swap the gain and master pots on channel-2.

On my first posting I gave some hints to doing the mod which should be helpful in undoing it.

Also djw did the mod and gave some useful hints.

If you choose to do it yourself...by all means BE CAREFUL! Heed every precaution you have read. Avoid ANY CONTACT with the capacitors.

Or just take it to a pro.

Regards: Charles

Well I had my best day with the amp sounds so far.
Just needed a little more volume to feel it...so it's getting better.

After much deliberation I finally went ahead and did the Reeder mod.
Pretty easy mod overall!!!
I did not notice a big change TONALLY in my living room, maybe a bit brighter and clearer overall so I'll report back after a rehearsal.

SCHWING!

After about 2 hours of testing with the amp volume up a bit I have to say...

I LOVE THE MOD!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

btw- Anyone thinking of having this mod done...DO IT!!! After a few days of playing I CANNOT BELIEVE the difference!
its Beautiful!

creekhed said:
btw- Anyone thinking of having this mod done...DO IT!!! After a few days of playing I CANNOT BELIEVE the difference!
its Beautiful!

My thoughts! I had always (now I can say this) hated Channel 2. There was one spot that worked for SCs and one for HBs that was it. Now the whole amp is a big flower bloming in the morning dew. That's almost poetic :D

Ok, in a bit of a slack moment I decided to have a count of all those who have done the mod and whether they kept it or not:

Charles Reeder - The Modfather
plan-x :D
djw :D
cb101 changed back
Mick :D
Mesafan :D
BobL changed back
loudguitars :D
fishyfishfish :D
thirstypirate :D
remocity :D
Monsta-tone :D (I think)
Me!!! :D :D :D
Barracuda :D
Creekhed :D

That makes 15 mods with 13 happy. Not bad?

+ Lou Bought probably the first Reeder to change hands - how are you getting on with it Lou?

Any more for any more????? Anyone else done the mod, not liked it and not posted? Would be good for those thinking about it to get negatives as well as positives...

I'm liking it for sure.
Monsta-Tone is the modifier.

What is really surprising me about the amp is playing clean.
Never liked doing that.

I'm re-discovering my Knopfler side.

Spikey Si said:
Ok, in a bit of a slack moment I decided to have a count of all those who have done the mod and whether they kept it or not:

cb101 changed back
BobL changed back

+ Lou Bought probably the first Reeder to change hands - how are you getting on with it Lou?

Any more for any more????? Anyone else done the mod, not liked it and not posted? Would be good for those thinking about it to get negatives as well as positives...
Add me to the list. :D

I logged in last night looking for speaker recommendations for my Bogner cab loaded with Celestion V30s because I was frustrated with the tone of channel 2 and ran across this post.

Al I can say is WOW!! :shock:
Thanks Reeder,

I had resigned myself to using my LSC as a single channel amp with pedals.
I never did like the second channel. There was just something about it that didn't sound as great as the 1st channel.

After the mod it sounds much more open and it doesn't mind having a pedal pushing it either. Before the mod if I had the drive engaged and boosted it with an OD t just turned to mush. Now it sings!!

BTW if it makes any difference,
I have serial #L000056 and the pot codes were exactly the same as channel one. :?:

Oh yeah,
It took me longer to find a sharpie to mark the wires with than it did to do the mod. :oops:

MesaLoneStarBogner.jpg

Nice to be back it tonal Nirvana!! :wink: 8) 8) 8)

Rock-On!! said:
Spikey Si said:

cb101 changed back
BobL changed back

Add me to the list. :D

Me too!! (LSS 1x12)

Well, I changed mine back. NOT because I'm unhappy. I need to hear what it was like before the "mod", and since I bought it "modded" .......
You get the drift.

Lou said:
Well, I changed mine back. NOT because I'm unhappy. I need to hear what it was like before the "mod", and since I bought it "modded" .......
You get the drift.

SO.... What do you think?

I was at my local guitar store and they have a 2x12 LSC combo in stock. I spent almost two hours playing it, almost the entire time riding the first channel. I thought to myself numerous times "I wish they made just a single channel version" and "why do I hate channel two?". My friend that works there agreed with me. He owns a 1x12 combo and is not pleased with channel two. Channel one is SO good that I'd buy the amp and suffer with channel two's lackluster performance.

I signed up to this forum because I wanted some information about the Subway Blues amp. I have officially passed on that amp now, and am saving my clams for a 1x12 LSC combo. As soon as I get the amp, I will get it professionally "Reedered".

I am actually excited about this.

I owned one. I sold it in what is my most regrettable move. I've had a few vintage and really nice amps, but only regret losing out on the Blue Angel. The Lone Star will do me just right.

Latest posts

Back