LSC/LSS owners; are you happy with channel2?Want to fix it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, one more question before I take the plunge on the mod. Will I be able to get a smooth sustain with the guitar volume up and the drive engaged, think Allman's/Gov't Mule/ early ZZ Top? Not too compressed of a sound---you guys know what sound I'm talking about. Does the thick/thicker switch aid in this in Channel 2, or as one person who wrote in said it became harsh? Right now I have to keep it at the normal setting of Drive or we're knee deep in mud, and not that nice ZZ Top Rio Grande Mud. I've been just playing Ch 1 with a Fulldrive Mosfet for these sounds and I'd love to get them without a pedal. Thanks.

jonanderson23 said:
Ok, one more question before I take the plunge on the mod. Will I be able to get a smooth sustain with the guitar volume up and the drive engaged, think Allman's/Gov't Mule/ early ZZ Top? Not too compressed of a sound---you guys know what sound I'm talking about. Does the thick/thicker switch aid in this in Channel 2, or as one person who wrote in said it became harsh? Right now I have to keep it at the normal setting of Drive or we're knee deep in mud, and not that nice ZZ Top Rio Grande Mud. I've been just playing Ch 1 with a Fulldrive Mosfet for these sounds and I'd love to get them without a pedal. Thanks.

Hmmm. Can't say whether it will satisfactorily do that for you or not... My answer though is, Probably? There's more than one way to skin a cat, and all that. One man's Billy Gibbons is another man's Jimi is another man's Eric Johnson... etc. It's sort of the same answer I give when people ask how to get that SRV tone -- I don't believe it's an objectively answerable thing. How do you get those sounds?

That said, the mod does not reduce the amp's versatility in any way whatsoever; and anyway in theory it's *possible* to get the stock sound out of the modded setup, and vice versa (a controversial point), and if so then you're only changing the way the controls work. So if you can get it before the mod, you can get it after the mod (or something very like it) -- it'll just look different on the dials. I think I get a closer-to-stock sound, sort of, by boosting the mids and cutting the treble a bunch. Smooths things out a little and retains that sustaining creaminess without as much edge up top. Been a long time, so I can't be sure how exact it is.

Remember, the mod's extremely reversible.

Need some help here.

I did both mods today. Seemed easy enough. I turned the amp back on and i had channel 2 on with the toggle switch for the drive mode off. Everything sounded good. As soon as i turned the drive toggle switch on channel 2 went dead. I'm getting anything from it. Channel 1 works fine. I'm going to open it up and see if any wires came loose. Anyone else have this problem?

danyeo1 said:
Need some help here.

I did both mods today. Seemed easy enough. I turned the amp back on and i had channel 2 on with the toggle switch for the drive mode off. Everything sounded good. As soon as i turned the drive toggle switch on channel 2 went dead. I'm getting anything from it. Channel 1 works fine. I'm going to open it up and see if any wires came loose. Anyone else have this problem?
Ugh, that's no good. Did you do both mods at the same time? Hard to narrow down what would have caused it if so... also, did you do the "Mid" mod on both channels?

This is the first I've heard of this, but it's probably nothing too catastrophic. A short somewhere perhaps. Have to just carefully check your work, see if you dripped solder on something or made a cold connection on one of the pots.

djw said:
danyeo1 said:
Need some help here.

Ugh, that's no good. Did you do both mods at the same time? Hard to narrow down what would have caused it if so... also, did you do the "Mid" mod on both channels?

This is the first I've heard of this, but it's probably nothing too catastrophic. A short somewhere perhaps. Have to just carefully check your work, see if you dripped solder on something or made a cold connection on one of the pots.

Thanks. But....i fixed it. I had the wires from the gain pot facing up too high and they touched the pot from the clean channel. Just had to push them down. It works fine now. Not sure how much of a difference it made, I'll have to play some more. It does seem less congested and a little tighter. But I'm running my controls almost the same way. I keep the bass and mid low and treble and presence higher.

danyeo1 said:
Thanks. But....i fixed it. I had the wires from the gain pot facing up too high and they touched the pot from the clean channel. Just had to push them down. It works fine now. Not sure how much of a difference it made, I'll have to play some more. It does seem less congested and a little tighter. But I'm running my controls almost the same way. I keep the bass and mid low and treble and presence higher.
Whew! Nice work. Enjoy!

Forgive me if this has been covered.

I have read through 17 of the pages in this thread, but thought I might ask...

Has anyone recorded a before and after sound comparison? I'd be interested to hear it or view a video clip.

I'll probably do the mod because I am in the same boat as most here (not caring for the muddiness)...but you would think there would be a demo clip somewhere after all these successful mods.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Crystal Clear Media

EDIT: Found the links in the master summary post. Nevermind... Move along...nothing to see here... LOL

Andrewccm said:
Forgive me if this has been covered.

I have read through 17 of the pages in this thread, but thought I might ask...

Has anyone recorded a before and after sound comparison? I'd be interested to hear it or view a video clip.

I'll probably do the mod because I am in the same boat as most here (not caring for the muddiness)...but you would think there would be a demo clip somewhere after all these successful mods.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Crystal Clear Media

EDIT: Found the links in the master summary post. Nevermind... Move along...nothing to see here... LOL

I did a clip awhile ago proving the mod was unnecessary, unfortunately I don't have it any more. The difference between the two channels is the taper on the pots, which has to do with how quickly the gain/volume ramps up and has nothing to do with the actual sound. If you set channel 2's gain lower than channel 1s and set the master volume up higher you can get both channels to sound the same. It's not as intuitive as the Reeder mod, so plenty of people prefer to have it done anyway because it makes channel 2 easier to dial in... however it won't give you any sounds that you don't already have access to.

Here's a post clip that reveals clarity not heard before the mod. This is a reverb clip, but gets into the mod in the latter half.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/plan-x/Head%20cab/?action=view&current=ReverbTest.flv

Latest posts

Back