LSC/LSS owners; are you happy with channel2?Want to fix it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thirstypirate said:
djw said:
I'd be happy to write something up, and anyone who wants to can help define and describe any particulars... I could start with an outline and we can make it more detailed as we go. Or something.

That sounds great and would be an easy resource for anyone trying to do it instead of sorting through all the posts in this great thread.

Alright guys, I'm on it.

I posted a how-to summary in the new Lone Star section; here it is:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30857

I think ned is going to "sticky" it, so this should be available in perpetuity. I'll update it as needed.

thanks djw. You should include a section on the semi-technical explanation why the mod works, i.e., the pot taper, since people have asked this all the time.

ja22y said:
thanks djw. You should include a section on the semi-technical explanation why the mod works, i.e., the pot taper, since people have asked this all the time.
Good idea, I definitely will... if I can describe exactly why it works. :) Did this get figured out? I have my theories, but I don't feel like they're definitive. Maybe I can include a list of the common theories if nothing definitive has been offered.

Do you want to take a stab at summarizing, and I'll include it?

djw said:
ja22y said:
Good idea, I definitely will... if I can describe exactly why it works. :) Did this get figured out? I have my theories, but I don't feel like they're definitive. Maybe I can include a list of the common theories if nothing definitive has been offered.

Do you want to take a stab at summarizing, and I'll include it?
I wrote this on the last page, it makes sense to me, include it if it makes sense to people. Remember the word "Theoretically".
"Both pots are 1M but the tapers are different. Pot 1 (ch1 gain) rate of change is less than pot 2( ch2 gain) between 8:00 (min) to 2:00; but its rate of change is more between 2:00 to 4:00 (max). So for the same visual setting, you get more gain on ch2 at low setting and ch1 'catches up' with ch 2 at high setting. Theoretically, if you mark the points where both pots have the same resistance ( master pots also) you should be able to dial-in the same tone. Also if you max either the master or gain pots, you would elliminate its affect and allow you to play around with one set of pot so you can hear the difference. Hope it makes sense"

ja22y said:
I wrote this on the last page, it makes sense to me, include it if it makes sense to people. Remember the word "Theoretically".
"Both pots are 1M but the tapers are different. Pot 1 (ch1 gain) rate of change is less than pot 2( ch2 gain) between 8:00 (min) to 2:00; but its rate of change is more between 2:00 to 4:00 (max). So for the same visual setting, you get more gain on ch2 at low setting and ch1 'catches up' with ch 2 at high setting. Theoretically, if you mark the points where both pots have the same resistance ( master pots also) you should be able to dial-in the same tone. Also if you max either the master or gain pots, you would elliminate its affect and allow you to play around with one set of pot so you can hear the difference. Hope it makes sense"

Thanks, ja22y! I'm putting it in.

Nice job djw. Now the snare is set, we'll just sit back and wait. mu ha ha ha (evil laugh)

O.K......you can add another name to the "Reeder Mod" list....I did it last week and just can't get enough of Ch 2. I just love to switch back & forth between 1&2. It does every thing reported earlier. It's airy , transparent, smooth , chimey, opened up, etc. Just like #1 but with however much balls you may want to set it. I like an edge short of saturation but w/good honest tonal color without getting too fuzzy. Which brings me to the gain switch....the mod for footswitching that would be welcome ( without the thump mentioned earlier).
I've been watching this thread since it's inception knowing I woud get around to it at some point. I bought an LSS last Feb ( almost a year now ) and felt the same about ch2. I even went out and bought a Rivera Venus 6 to use with it gigging because of the 2nd ch. Well ...that and the reliability factor. But ..the LSS has never let me down and is now my #1 again! I use the Rivera at the same time. I run the F/X thru it , and the LSS for clean and lead. I use the clean on the Rivera also. What can I say I love'em both. but the MOD....man it's great. Could some one point me to the thread on the 2nd mod, can't seem to find it......Chuck "Guitar"

Here is the link to the 2nd Reeder mod. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27487
It really puts the icing on the cake for ch 2. I prefer ch 1 stock. Tried it for about 4 months on ch 1 and ended up reversing it. So did one other guy on this forum. I probably should install a switch like Charles suggested because I wouldn't mind having it switchable on ch 1.

Hi everybody, I bought my Lonestar LSC 2x12 used Dec 2008. I've been eye-ing this thread for a while, and today I read the whole thing. I'm doing a few mods, like converting it to a separate head/cab setup. But I'm also looking forward to doing the Reeder mod.

After reading this entire thread I can almost draw a story-timeline with all of it's characters! I'm not going to mention any names, you know who you are! :)

I can definitely say that the Reeder mod made my new lonestar 2x12 combo so much better. Im not fiddling with the overdrive near as much, thank you Charles !

I can't wait to try the second one too !

Other than replacing tubes, speaker changes and very minor amp maintenance, I leave that work to someone who knows what they're doing. However, the Reeder mod is so simple, that even I could do it; and did! I don't know what an electronics shop would charge for this work, but if a non-skilled guy like me can do it in less than 20 minutes, their minimum bench charge should cover it. There's no schematic to read, or major work involved. Even if a tech charged $75 for this work, it would be a sonic improvement you'll hear every time you used the 2nd channel. I would even suggest that amp techs offer this mod to people who bring in their Lonestar amps for other repairs, and do it while the amp is on the bench. As others have stated, the mod makes a great amp even better.

Hi,

I've been following the Reeder mod posts for some time to gauge feedback and so on. I think the time has come to try this on my LoneStar Special. Before I take it to my tech (I'm fine with the soldering, just not around those voltages) it would be really good to hear from anybody who has tried this on the Special specifically, as most of the feedback seems to be from Classic owners.

Any comments would be great.

Thanks,

Simon

Hey Fox, from what I've heard the LSS seems to react the same way the classic does to the mod. It will sound more open and breathier. Since the Lonestars' preamps are indentical the mod should theoretically work the same way.

The mod is really easy to do and takes maybe 45 minutes, dont worry you kind of almost have to try to touch a capacitor, they arent even close to the knobs. The first time I opened it up, I resealed because of them, but it was well worth the effort and as long your careful, prepared and know how to drain those capacitors theres no reason to pay an overpriced tech.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/caps.html

this is a great website I highly recommend you bookmark !

Well, I've done it. It is quite a stark improvement at the moment, that I am quite pleased with. My biggest complaint with Channel 2 was getting it to cut through with the band without turning it up too much. The channels do appear to be identical now. Switching in the drive circuit adds the gain without squashing the rest of the frequencies, or at least that's how my limited descriptive abilities puts it.

I did check out the caps before starting and as I hadn't had the amp on today they all registered at zero so didn't have to drain them.

So then, I'll give it a few months of trial to see how it goes, particularly with the band and report back.

Interestingly, the references for the pots on the LSS are exactly the same, rather than a digit out as on the Classic.

Simon

Well I decided to put the amp back to stock. Whilst it is true that the mod makes Channel 2 the same as Channel 1, I didn't like the results when you then switch the drive circuit in. Initially I thought, wow this is a real improvement, but the more and more I've played it I found that with the drive circuit engaged it became far too scratchy, rather than the smooth sound that it was before. I'll go back to trying to dial in Channel 2 as I did before. Yes it is a little muddy, but I prefer it this way round with the drive circuit engaged and that's how I primarily use Channel 2.

It is a really simple mod to do - I would recommend everybody to try it out. It really is a very straightforward soldering/de-soldering job!

Simon

With the mod can you get a nice overdriven crunch on ch2 without the mud? I put in el34's recently to try and clean up ch2. I play humbuckers usually and like a nice light breakup with the guitar on 6 or 7 and push the guitar volume for overdriven lead. More of roots rock sound. If the mod can do that I'm in. I'm playing mostly blues/classic rock.

jonanderson23 said:
With the mod can you get a nice overdriven crunch on ch2 without the mud? I put in el34's recently to try and clean up ch2. I play humbuckers usually and like a nice light breakup with the guitar on 6 or 7 and push the guitar volume for overdriven lead. More of roots rock sound. If the mod can do that I'm in. I'm playing mostly blues/classic rock.
Sure enough. Depends on your amp settings, but my gain & drive are at about 2:30 and when I roll my guitar back to between 4-6 I get a real nice dry sparkly breakup. It's the kind of thing that makes me love showing up at sessions with just guitar, cable and amp and just working Ch2 with my guitar volume all night.

jonanderson23 said:
If the mod can do that I'm in. I'm playing mostly blues/classic rock.
Well, you might as well jump on in and kiss the mud goodbye. Reeder mod 2 further enhances the mud factor also.

Latest posts

Back