LSC/LSS owners; are you happy with channel2?Want to fix it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bicycle said:
Is it possible to do this mod on LSC bought on 2007? Have anyone tried it?

I doesn't make a difference if the amp is a 100/50 or 100/50/10. All you're doing is switching the position of the pots.

Ok, here's a YouTube from this weekend with a solo on Ch2. I promise this is not a vanity thing, though it probably is and I'm not self-aware enough to know it.

The settings are in the long description of the clip (click More Info over on the right). No pedals engaged at the moment, just amp + guitar.

Also, this is a good example of LSC + 6V6s + YellowJackets. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVocWfuobU

hey 'djw':

I enjoyed your 'YouTube' clip...some nice playing there. I don't know what it sounds like on bigger speakers; but even with ones like my 'iddy-biddy' ones...it should be pretty clear to anyone that the sound they are hearing is NOT POSSIBLE from a STOCK LONESTAR on channel-2 with no effects!

Charles

I just wanted to report on the reeder Mod on my LSS 2x12! I haven’t heard many reports on the LSS mod so here goes!! As most of us have been looking for that thick crud Texas tone that only lone star special can deliver! But have had some trouble finding the sweet spot on channel 2. So I read all of the 19 teen pages last night and decided that I would try the reader mod. The mod was rather easy just take your time and all should be good! Now for all the LSS users!! I completed the transformation today! I can't believe the difference, channel 2 sounds like a different animal!! We have tone Lift Off!!! My les Paul sound so much richer and just sweeter! My Settings bass 9:00, Mid 9:30 treble 1 gain, drive around 2 and presents around 12:30

I just found this forum a few nights ago. I just found this thread tonight. Thanks for the bump woody. And thank you in advance Charles Reeder and all those others who supported and challenged "The Reeder Mod."

I've just spent the last hour reading every word. I'm 200 miles from my LSS but as soon as I get home I'll be hittin' this mod. Over the last 6 months I've relegated chan 2 to 5w comedy while worshipping, loving and cherishing chan 1 as the amp I've always dreamed of owning, so I already know this is for me. I'll report back at completion. Excuse me while I go beat my 339 thru my old DC-2 in immense joyful celebration. :lol:

WoW I love this amp now! Has everyone that done the reeder mod left it that way or have some of you changed it back

Well, I have been browsing this thread for awhile and decided to finally take the plunge with my LSS head. It wasn't like I was totally dissatisfied with my Channel 2 but it took a lot of tweaking to get it where it was useable live. I seldom used the Drive on it, only the Gain for breakup type distortion. My problem with Channel 2 was that I had a hard time getting enough high mids to cut through in a band situation. It seemed very muddy and flat.

The mod was very easy to do, took me about an hour with disassembly and reassembly.

How's it sound?

MUCH better now. As a lot of other guy's have said, it is now a clone of Channel 1 with more gain on tap. It has more 'presence' now for me as well and I haven't had to fight the low mid thing as much with it. I have started to use the Drive again as well as there is a clarity now that was missing before. I have really had to start over with Channel 2 and rediscover the tones available. For the music I play (Rock, funk, blues, R&B, country), this mod has really made Channel 2 a lot more musical and functional. Thanks Charles!

Wow! :D Another satisfied mod'ster. Now try the "Reeder mid mod". Lol.
It's yet another worth while mod.

Done it this afternoon and : WOW i love it

by the way, mine is also modded so that i can switch drive on the footswitch and this is a must have.

blues57 said:
Done it this afternoon and : WOW i love it

by the way, mine is also modded so that i can switch drive on the footswitch and this is a must have.

Blues 57, tell us more about this drive mod. Did you do it yourself? Did you add a switch to the LSC footswitch unit?

no this mod was done in a store but i can ask to have some informations (i know that i's pretty easy to do it as the drive mini toggle is near the footswitch output jack)

no new switch on the footswitch they used the "solo" switch. i use the solo external switch port to keep the solo mode

i know that someone here (or on the birds and moons forum) has done this mod with a third switch on the footswitch

blues57 said:
no this mod was done in a store but i can ask to have some informations (i know that i's pretty easy to do it as the drive mini toggle is near the footswitch output jack)

no new switch on the footswitch they used the "solo" switch. i use the solo external switch port to keep the solo mode

Brilliant. This makes total sense. Very, very cool! This would make the amp pretty much a 3-channel beast.

Hey:

Regarding making the 'Drive' foot-switchable:

It would be pretty easy to run some shielded wires from the mini-toggle switch to one of the other jacks on the back of the Lonestar (the 'hidden' reverb jack... maybe?)...and then use a single button foot-switch to control it.
I haven't ever looked inside the LS footswitch...perhaps there is room to add another switch 'button' and another 1/4-inch jack...and keep everything all in one place...on the original Lonestar foot-switch.

The reason I haven't pursued this...is because with this sort of mod...the annoying 'thump' that is heard when the drive is engaged would still be there. If the drive were only to be engaged or disengaged between songs rather than as a solo-boost during a song...then I suppose the 'thump' would be acceptable.

If someone would come up with the electronic solution to getting rid of the 'thump' and post it; then I think this would then be a tremendously usable 'mod'.

If not...I would contact a 'professional'...if he could guarantee to do the mod (including the elimination of the 'thump') then I would do it...provided his charge were reasonable.

Charles

I told and congrad Charles already about the first mod but just decided to let everyone know as well, it's a credit to him.

So the mod makes the amp the way it should also i'm study on how to do the mid mod right now. :)

I told and congrad Charles already about the first mod but just decided to let everyone know as well, it's a credit to him.

So the mod makes the amp the way it should also i'm study on how to do the mid mod right now. :)

Charles Reeder said:
On page 34 of my Lone Star manual (I didn't check page number for LSS or LSC version2) you will find a graph picture of the amp with all of the Part-numbers of the various pots and switches.

I noticed that...
On channel-1 the Gain is part#591739 and the Master is part#591047.

Now look at channel-2: the Gain is part#591047 and the Master is part#591739.

The 2-channels use the identical Gain and Master pots...but reversed!

That is the absolute only difference between the 2-channels. No circuit board mods necessary...all you have to do is swap the Gain pot with the Master pot on channel-2 and it is a perfect clone of channel-1. That's it! Nothing else to do...and it sounds so..so..much better!

Let me tell you; when you add the 'drive' and/or the 'thick/thicker' to channel-2 now it just takes off like a bird and sings! It actually gets more distortion and sustain (if you want it); The bass is not muddied and the notes remain articulate even at high volume and saturation levels! It is everything I had originally hoped it would be.

Making this swap is not at all difficult...just 3 wires on each of the 2 pots on channel-2 . Just unsolder the 2 pots and swap them. You will have to remove the amp chassis from the combo or head cab. Then unscrew the screws that hold on the knobs on the gains and masters on both channels.
Remove the retaining nuts and washers that hold the gain and master pots
on both channels from the faceplate.
Pull the channel-1gain and master pots backwards out of the way. You do not have to remove or unsolder the ones on channel-1; just get them out of the way so that you can 'rock' and pull the gain and master pots for channel-2 out.
3 little gray wires are soldered to each pot. Before I unsoldered them I used a magic-marker to label them to make it quick and easy to remember which post they attached to on the pot. Going left to right 1-dot,2-dots, 3-dots. Simply unsolder them and swap the positions of the gain and master pots on channel-2.

Put everything back together and enjoy the amp the way it always should have sounded (in my opinion)!

The only thing I ask of any of you is that if you do not feel qualified to do this swap...(the insides of amplifiers can be fatally dangerous to the careless)...then please...please...please... take it to a tech to have the swap done.

AWESOME !! I just bought a LSS and this is exactly what it needs !! Thanks a million!

Charles Reeder said:
Hey:

Regarding making the 'Drive' foot-switchable:

It would be pretty easy to run some shielded wires from the mini-toggle switch to one of the other jacks on the back of the Lonestar (the 'hidden' reverb jack... maybe?)...and then use a single button foot-switch to control it.
I haven't ever looked inside the LS footswitch...perhaps there is room to add another switch 'button' and another 1/4-inch jack...and keep everything all in one place...on the original Lonestar foot-switch.

The reason I haven't pursued this...is because with this sort of mod...the annoying 'thump' that is heard when the drive is engaged would still be there. If the drive were only to be engaged or disengaged between songs rather than as a solo-boost during a song...then I suppose the 'thump' would be acceptable.

If someone would come up with the electronic solution to getting rid of the 'thump' and post it; then I think this would then be a tremendously usable 'mod'.

If not...I would contact a 'professional'...if he could guarantee to do the mod (including the elimination of the 'thump') then I would do it...provided his charge were reasonable.

Charles

hi charles

no 'thump' for me, this was made by a pro and it's working perfectly only a difference in volume when i activate the drive. I'm asking the guy who's done it if i can post this mod.

jerome

Latest posts

Back