EMGs in a Gibson SG Std?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you guys out there had tried this or know if it is even possible?! I tried out the Schecter C1 Hellraiser that has the 81/85 set. Whilst I LOVED the tone, i wasn't digging the feel of it. This was the first time I'd tried out EMGs and i realise this is the tone I've been after for a while.

Any comments on how it might sound in comparison would be great. Also, would there be room for the battery and pickups without hacking wood out of my guitar?! Thanks!

:)

i'd go with an 85/85 in an SG. since an sg is a skinnier guitar, the 85 in the bridge will beef it up a bit. the 81 would sound pretty thin.

since the SG is an all mahogany guitar, it would sound pretty chewy and thick. However, as Nitro said, the SG is a lightweight guitar compared to les pauls.

Try out an ESP Viper and you should get an idea of how it may sound before you buy.

Elpelotero said:
since the SG is an all mahogany guitar, it would sound pretty chewy and thick. However, as Nitro said, the SG is a lightweight guitar compared to les pauls.

Try out an ESP Viper and you should get an idea of how it may sound before you buy.

the vipers are almost as thick as les pauls

Nitrobattery said:
Elpelotero said:

the vipers are almost as thick as les pauls
\
mmm, not really.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm thinking about ordering the 81/85 set. One they're installed would it be possible to just switch them round to see which i prefer in the bridge position? (I hardle ever use the neck p/up and even less so a combination of both).

Yeah lucky for you EMG now uses a newer simple to change design. They just have a little plug that you attach to the back of the pickup. You can swap around without having to go through rewiring your guitar like in the old days or as is the case with any other manufacturer's pickup.

I own a Urban Camo Viper with Emg 81s and let me tell you,I would put it up agaist LPs anyday. It is Fat & Thick soooounds!!!

Interesting...

I have heard some Les Pauls sound pretty fat using the neck pickup and that was with a 490r even.

Back