Need help reverting modded Badlander 100 rev 6 to stock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fam,
I bought a modded Badlander that blew the filter caps so I want to revert it to stock and could use a bit of help figuring out what the capacitor values on the gain pot are supposed to be. There was an added capacitor at C32 that must've been too much for the filter caps to handle. The amp could've also been abused a bit and cranked all the way up with IRs. It's amazing the filter caps blew at such a young age...I don't want to deal with it again so I'm reverting it to stock. I will likely get the Mr. Scary Mod and hope that doesn't cause similar problems. No schematics available, obviously, but it's a simple little bit of soldering I can do myself if I can figure out what's supposed to be there. Don't want to bother with a tech. I've already removed the added capacitor and replaced the filter caps, but IDK exactly how it's supposed to be wired up. There's an empty hole in the PCB now...also not sure if the remaining cap is stock. I've seen close up pics of other revisions (5 and 7) that don't have the two holes in the PCB for the caps, unsure if that was added by who modded the amp and exactly what I should do to fix it. The disconnected cap in the pics is the mod that was added. Anybody with a stock rev 6 Badlander 100 that can help?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240929_134639301.jpg
    IMG_20240929_134639301.jpg
    216.2 KB
  • IMG_20240929_134611165.jpg
    IMG_20240929_134611165.jpg
    189.9 KB
  • IMG_20240929_134555678.jpg
    IMG_20240929_134555678.jpg
    238.7 KB
The orange cap above the 82.5k resistor has the same numbers on it as the one on the Rev 5 and Rev 7 boards. Not sure what that value is as I believe it is just some sort of part number. Also they are soldered to the two outmost pads. I did not see any other holes as you mentioned. I doubt that was a mod done to the amp as the copper pour in your pictures shows a square cutout around the pad. May be for use with a different capacitor? Are you sure it is damaged (other than the one lead being cut short) ? You can check for continuity between the inner pad and the outer one. If there is no continuity, I would assume it is a different circuit.

The orange cap above the 82.5k resistor has the same numbers on it as the one on the Rev 5 and Rev 7 boards. Not sure what that value is as I believe it is just some sort of part number. Also they are soldered to the two outmost pads. I did not see any other holes as you mentioned. I doubt that was a mod done to the amp as the copper pour in your pictures shows a square cutout around the pad. May be for use with a different capacitor? Are you sure it is damaged (other than the one lead being cut short) ? You can check for continuity between the inner pad and the outer one. If there is no continuity, I would assume it is a different circuit.
Thanks for the reply! I should've clarified there's THREE holes for this cap and it's wired up differently in the other PCBs I've seen online. I'll include the best pic I found that I'm using for reference, but it's still difficult to tell what's supposed to go where. It's clear the orange cap is connected differently on mine than the other's I've seen. The value of the orange cap is 1n0k,1 nano farad =/-10%. Thanks for validating it is stock.

The soldering to the two outermost pads is what's throwing me off. Is there a center pad/hole on other PCBs? What's it hooked up to, if anything? Should there be another cap there? Pics online appear to show a single cap at c32.

My meter didn't beep for continuity, but I don't think it would with the cap. These caps didn't fail, it was 2 of the filter caps. I want to get rid of the mod just in case it was contributing to the filter caps failure. The red cap definitely wasn't stock, I could easily tell by the solder and the fact it's not the same brand as the other caps on the PCB. Plus the guy I bought it from said it was modded by a professional amp tech, and that's a very common mod.

Just to clarify, the included pic is NOT my PCB, it is the best pic I found online of what I'm assuming is the stock configuration. I can't tell how many holes/pads are there or how the orange cap is connected to them. You say the outermost holes/pads?

Edit: I just realized you guys are the ones who posted the info and pics I'm using as reference. Thanks for that as well, looks like I'm in the right place.

Attachments

• 3432-bad-pre-marked.jpg
    3432-bad-pre-marked.jpg
    206 KB
Last edited:
I contacted Mesa customer service and they were very helpful and confirmed it is connected correctly. I'm gonna resolder and clean it up later today. Next I have to replace these diodes that were added during the mod, but I think I got that figured out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240930_173931917.jpg
    IMG_20240930_173931917.jpg
    152.5 KB
Back