Current Live/Rehearsal/Home Rigs Rearranging

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
Hello all, hope you are doing well :) This will be a long post so bear with me! I'm a guitarist that does rhythm/leads & backing vocals in a 2 guitarist 70's/80's/90's/Early 2000's classic/hard rock cover band in standard E tuning and have a couple songs right now in Drop D.

I have guitars and amps right now that are not getting used due to issues they have and want to try and figure out what they need to get them sounding great and get inspired to play them more! I'm trying to figure out what amps, guitars, etc. to use at where we practice and also here at home.

Rehearsal room rig currently has been the Boogie Mark V 90-watt head, footswitch, and the Harley Benton G412A Celestion V30's with a Maxon OD808 in front of amp and a DigiTech RP360XP through the FX loop for effects only and use the pedal on it for solo boosts, same with the DigiTech RP360XP on my live pedalboard.

Live rig right now has been my EVH 5150 III 50 Watt v2 6L6 head through my Marshall 1960A w/2 WGS Retro 30's and stock Celestion G12T75's in an X-pattern with my custom flight case pedalboard with a DigiTech RP360XP, Korg Pitchblack Pedal Tuner, Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless and 3 separate power supplies for all 3 units that all plug into a D'Addario Tour-Grade Power Base Power Strip that then goes to a Furman SS-6B 6-outlet Surge Suppressor Strip where the power cord form the EVH head with a Morley Hum Exterminator Ground Loop Hum Exterminator is plugged into that. My live rig will be updated soon and the Boogie Mark V 90-watt head and Harley Benton G412A Celestion V30's will be taking it's place of the EVH 5150 III head & Marshall 1960A cab. I tried my Mark V through both 4x12's and the Harley Benton was more in your face compared to the Marshall, not that it sounded bad with the Marshall.

Home rig has been my Line 6 Toneport UX1 USB recording interface hooked up to my HP Pavillion p6-2100 desktop computer in my bedroom through some Altec Lansing computer speakers (2 desktop speakers and small sub on floor) and I also have my Solano SLO Mini 30-watt solid state head running into my Marshall 1965A 4x10 Cab (Matching cab for my Marshall Artist 3203) in my bedroom right now too, no pedalboard, effects pedals, etc. currently hooked up to it.

There is also a new Harley Benton G212 Vertical Celestion V30's that's not being used right now and it fits my EVH 5150 III 50 Watt head so we will try both the Marshall 1960A & Harley Benton G212 Vertical cabs with the EVH and see which one sounds best in our rehearsal room. If I wind up going with the Harley Benton vertical cab in the rehearsal room, the Marshall 1960A may come home along with my Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head & Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back and my USA Peavey 6505+ Head.

So for the amps, cabs, effects I would have for home use would be:

Mesa Boogie Tremoverb Head

Peavey 6505+ Head

Marshall Artist 3203 Head

Solano SLO Mini 30-watt solid state head

Marshall Code 50 1x12 Combo

Marshall 1960A 4x12

Marshall 1965A 4x10 Cab (Matching cab for the Artist 3203)

Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab

Pedaltrain pedalboard, Pedals: 40th Anniversary Boss SD-1, Maxon OD808, MXR M234 Analog Chorus Pedal, Boss NS-2 noise gate, ZOOM MS-70CDR Multi FX pedal, MXR 6-Band EQ and Danelectro Fish N Chips 7-Band EQ

At home are are my other guitars:

1998 Gibson Les Paul Special - Factory P100 Neck & Dimarzio P90 Super Distortion Bridge pickups with .010 - .046 nickel wounds strings - needs wiring looked at as the Dimarzio humbucking p90 in the bridge, its thin and low output and possibly the guitar needs setup and from what I've been reading the P-90 SD needs wired in series to give the full output and a fatter sound..

1988 Charvel Model 5FX - EMG 81 Bridge & SA neck pickups, Original Floyd Rose - Was setup before the end of last year by guitar repair shop with .009 - .042 nickel wounds strings with the .042 replaced with a .040 and the guitar sounds the same as the Gibson right now and needs to have the wiring, pickups, etc all looked over again. Debating on getting a new EMG Kirk Hammett Bone Breaker bridge pickup and just having that put in the Charvel along with new EMG volume & tone pots, output jack and wiring.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD Hot Rod Set - JB/Jazz with .010 - .046 nickel wounds strings (Retired from live shows & rehearsals - Was my main live guitar for years trying to keep the miles off it)

Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman/Wolfgang Copy with .009 - .042 nickel wounds strings - Another one that needs setup, don't know what pickups but they look like Dimarzio Super Distortion's, Original Floyd Rose, and this was one of my best friend's guitars whom he passed some years ago

Here are the guitars I've been using live and in the rehearsal spot currently:

2021 PRS SE Custom 24 Faded Blue Burst with .009 - .042 nickel wounds strings

Ibanez JEM77P-BFP "Blue Floral" with .009 - .042 nickel wounds strings with the .042 replaced with a .040

My Partscaster with .009 - .042 nickel wounds strings and a bridge Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker wired to an Alpha push/pull volume pot, 500K I'm pretty sure, no tone pot. I haven't been playing it right now because it's really bright and ice picky and I think the pot is bad because the sound cuts in and out when rolling the volume knob up or down whether it's pushed in or pulled out. I read that the JB was designed for 250k pots and found a Mojo Tone CTS Push-pull Potentiometer - Short Shaft - 250k to buy and have the pot replaced but I hope I don't lose too much high end. I don't think there is anything wrong with the wiring?

Anyone have any suggestions or input?

Back