CabClone IR+ 8ohm to a 16ohm cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnio

Reaction score
I searched a lot but could not find a definite reply on the below, so I would much appreciate your input and assistance.
Due to family reasons I had to sell my 4x12 boogie cab which of course is 8ohm. I have a marshall 4x12 (1982) bought it used in the 90s and it was the cab we rent from a local shop for our gigs. It has a lot of history so the decision which of the two had to go was relatively straight forward (both sound very good and I am happy with both). The marshall 4x12 is somehow a match with my 1981 jcm 800 actually. Anyway...

My problem now is that the marshall cab is 16ohm and I have second thoughts of connected my cabclone to the cab. The cabclone is 8ohm and was used only with a mark iv at 8ohm (to the boogie 4x12 8ohm cab).
I read the manual and states clearly that the amp speaker out should be 8ohm but it does not say anything about the output to the cab.
Since there is safe (not optimal) connection rule that you can connect a 16ohm cab to 8ohm amp out (or 8ohm to 4ohm) but what about when the cabclone is in between?

I searched a lot but could not find a definite reply on the below, so I would much appreciate your input and assistance.
Due to family reasons I had to sell my 4x12 boogie cab which of course is 8ohm. I have a marshall 4x12 (1982) bought it used in the 90s and it was the cab we rent from a local shop for our gigs. It has a lot of history so the decision which of the two had to go was relatively straight forward (both sound very good and I am happy with both). The marshall 4x12 is somehow a match with my 1981 jcm 800 actually. Anyway...

My problem now is that the marshall cab is 16ohm and I have second thoughts of connected my cabclone to the cab. The cabclone is 8ohm and was used only with a mark iv at 8ohm (to the boogie 4x12 8ohm cab).
I read the manual and states clearly that the amp speaker out should be 8ohm but it does not say anything about the output to the cab.
Since there is safe (not optimal) connection rule that you can connect a 16ohm cab to 8ohm amp out (or 8ohm to 4ohm) but what about when the cabclone is in between?
the Mesa Cabclone IR+ manual states the following.

"The internal load is defeated automatically when a cable is connected to the ¼" TO SPKR Output. Make sure you choose the proper impedance CabClone IR+, as they are built specifically for 4, 8 (most common) or 16 Ohm applications."

So this means, if I understand it correctly, if you plug in the 16 ohm cab to the speaker out of the CabClone, the 8ohm load of the CabClone is bypassed and only the 16 ohm cab impedance is being seen by the amp.

Back