More SPL from the Mark V - 35 (combo)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW-KTM

Reaction score
I'm hoping to learn if there are any circuit mods or maybe tube choices available that can provide a little more volume, specifically clean headroom, on channel 1 (fat).

Or in the more probable alternate, a speaker swap to something more efficient that hopefully does not have its own built in breakup which might reduce perceived headroom.
I don't have enough clean headroom to compete with the others in my band.
In order to find a volume balance I have to put up with more breakup than I would like.
Looking for something with a "relatively" flat EQ curve.
I realise no guitar speaker has a truly flat curve but I would like it to be flatter than say a V30, which I find has far too much midrange emphasis.
I have a V30 on hand and I have tried it but despite it being an efficient speaker it is still the same or quieter than the C90 after I EQ out the extra midrange.
The amp is currently loaded with the stock C90 Black Shadow as I don't have many other speaker choices on hand and at the ready, so I'm considering buying something new.
Hence my request for suggestions.
Efficiency/loudness should be greater than the C90.
I keep reading raves about the EVM12L but no comparison I've found so far gives any indication of comparative efficiency or SPL output.
Most of the raves are primarily about it being almost indestructible and secondarily about pureness of tone.
How does the efficiency of the EVM compare to the C90?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Oh, I should mention I already set my amp atop a Thiele cab (also C90) to make a mini-stack and more perceived volume so that suggestion is already taken care of.

Thanks

Most speaker companies list the sensitivity of their products, ie dB at 1m powered by 1W. Mesa lists the C90 at 99 dB. You want something higher, like an Eminence Swamp Thang at 102 dB.

The EVM12L spec lists a sensitivity of 100 dB.

Last edited:
This depends on your current settings, especially the gain, mid/boost and master. I assume it's already running it at 35 watts. Since you've already tried adding another cab, maybe try a 2x12 cab along with the combo's speaker?
Most amps with 4 x EL84 are rated at 30 watts. Mesa "squeezes" another 5 watts out of their EL84 amps. You may need some sound reinforcement. Try running the cab clone out to a PA speaker or monitor if you like the sound of that output.
If not, you may just need something of higher wattage and/or a larger cab. The V90 in theory will give you about a 4db increase over the v35. Doubling the number of speakers will also provide a theoretical 3db increase.

Back