Which Power Attenuator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubes Rock!

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place, if not, mods please move to better suited.

curious to know which is the best power attenuator that would be most worthy. I'm concerned with tone quality while the most durable. The Marshall Power Brake got pretty overall bad reviews, however, the Hot Plate seems a bit better as far as those lacking with the power brake. Wondering if anyone uses one and what do you recommend? I have a family of 5 and live in a townhome. My mesa Studio Pre w/ Valveking 100w head kicks ***. I would love to rip apart those tubes loud as hell, but cannot until I gig again toward the end of summer.

Please advise

Marshall SE100 it is an active load attenuator/emulator and you will live happy forever. There is simply nothing better period in my opinion. I bought mine from Manny's (New York) in 1992 for $502 shipped. try Ebay /Craiglist for one. (they are rare)

I've got a Weber MASS Lite 100 that sounds fantastic. Here's the site: http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

I went with this one because it provides 2 attenuation controls which affect different frequency ranges...low/mids and mids/highs. You can really dial in the tone at low volumes and adjust for frequency loss. Im real happy with it and it didnt break the bank...:D Good luck!

i have the weber lite mass as well.

100 watt.

i use it on my old mark2 boogie.

works like a charm.

GIG4FUN said:
Marshall SE100 it is an active load attenuator/emulator and you will live happy forever. There is simply nothing better period in my opinion. I bought mine from Manny's (New York) in 1992 for $502 shipped. try Ebay /Craiglist for one. (they are rare)

Picked up mine local for $120. (prices have gone down a bit since '92 ;) ). The other good thing is the XLR out for recording - since it is also a cabinet emulator, it works really well when recording both the speaker emulator and mixing with a mic in fornt of my cabinet.

SneakyPete said:
GIG4FUN said:

Picked up mine local for $120. (prices have gone down a bit since '92 ;) ). The other good thing is the XLR out for recording - since it is also a cabinet emulator, it works really well when recording both the speaker emulator and mixing with a mic in fornt of my cabinet.

I am so glad that you understand its goodness! It is a fine piece. The only think that really bugs me is that the power cord is not a good design in my view.

I'd buy another one in a heart beat. It's a great item that I never see for sale anywhere.

I wish you well, thanks for the note!

Dr. Z AirBrake

no need to worry about that ohm thing.... I even plug in my headphones sometimes... at a reasonable volume though....

dmt said:
THD Hotplate.

I like my THD Hotplate too. I wouldn't mind trying one of those Ultimate Attenuators but I feel that it is way too pricey for what it is.
I might look in to this Marshall SE100.

Hot Plate is great, too! The only one that's better - in my experience - is the Ultimate!

camsna said:
Hot Plate is great, too! The only one that's better - in my experience - is the Ultimate!

I dug up what I coudl find off of google on the ultimate and I was shorted in feeling the same. Can you send me a "good" link so its greatest can hit me? I woudl liek to have one if I could have that same feeling about it.... haha

Thank you.

GIG4FUN said:
camsna said:

I dug up what I coudl find off of google on the ultimate and I was shorted in feeling the same. Can you send me a "good" link so its greatest can hit me? I woudl liek to have one if I could have that same feeling about it.... haha

Thank you.

I'll take a look. Their website leaves something to be desired. But their products are G R E A T! ! ! !

camsna said:
GIG4FUN said:
camsna said:

Thank you.

I'll take a look. Their website leaves something to be desired. But their products are G R E A T! ! ! !

thank you, I am a smart guy, If I can buy all of this greatest and happiness for ONLY money, well then I'm in. I just couldn't see the point yet! :)

Here you go. A buddy of mine on another forum posted these clips. One is his Plexi on 10. The other is with his Ultimate.

Ultimate Attenuator
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=26193

Plexi on 10
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=26192

There's a difference, to be sure. But it's the best option I've found!!!

My Marshall SE100 has kept me happy and I only consider something given its age (I bought it new in 1992). THere must be something that needs cleaning etc. SO how much and where to buy? I will mull it over. I guess, it's all about staying in the loop.

Thank you for your fine service :)

camsna said:
Here you go. A buddy of mine on another forum posted these clips. One is his Plexi on 10. The other is with his Ultimate.

Ultimate Attenuator
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=26193

Plexi on 10
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=26192

There's a difference, to be sure. But it's the best option I've found!!!

Aside from the attenuator, your buddy has really, really nice clean technique!

Back