Whats with the John Petrucci obsession?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does John Petrucci's tone float your boat.

• It's incredible. I'd hit that four ways from Sunday.

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • Its pretty good.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • I'm not phased either way.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Its a bit rubbish.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I'd like to hack at it with a rusty razor blade covered in cyanide.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
rotebass said:
ryjan said:
Yes. As a matter of fact I did just come in here and made all the comments that I felt like making. :lol:

And you got called on your stupidity :D
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I like different music than you do so I guess that makes me stupid. Very convincing argument. :roll:

ryjan said:
rotebass said:
ryjan said:
Yes. As a matter of fact I did just come in here and made all the comments that I felt like making. :lol:

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I like different music than you do so I guess that makes me stupid. Very convincing argument. :roll:
WELL LIKE I SAID YOU MUST WORSHIP C.C. DEVILLE AND HIS "SOULFULL" PLAYING :lol: :lol: :lol:

ryjan said:
rotebass said:
ryjan said:

This isn't about different tastes in music, like one poster said he doesnt even have any DT albums and he was supporting Petrucci. We are calling you out because you said he wasn't a good guitar player.

quote="rotebass"]
ryjan said:

And you got called on your stupidity :D[/quote]
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I like different music than you do so I guess that makes me stupid. Very convincing argument. :roll:[/quote]

This isn't about different tastes in music, like one poster said he doesnt even have any DT albums and he was supporting Petrucci. We are calling you out because you said he wasn't a good guitar player.[/quote]
Learn how to read you moron. I said that I didnt like him or his style. This has nothing to do with talent or ability. Now go to you room in mommys basement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ryjan said:
quote="rotebass"]
ryjan said:

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I like different music than you do so I guess that makes me stupid. Very convincing argument. :roll:[/quote]

This isn't about different tastes in music, like one poster said he doesnt even have any DT albums and he was supporting Petrucci. We are calling you out because you said he wasn't a good guitar player.[/quote]
Learn how to read you moron. I said that I didnt like him or his style. This has nothing to do with talent or ability. Now go to you room in mommys basement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Do you notice how you're the only one laughing?

LTE said:
ryjan said:
quote="rotebass"]
ryjan said:

Learn how to read you moron. I said that I didnt like him or his style. This has nothing to do with talent or ability. Now go to you room in mommys basement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Do you notice how you're the only one laughing?[/quote]
I'm sorry, I guess you'd be laughing too if I hadn't made fun of you're boyfriend John. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ryjan said:

Get some style instead of another pedal!

Sounds like a pretty stupid statement to me, how does one not possess style?

Friedmett said:
Respect to fans. That's what I always say.

I watched the videoclips given and I could instantly say if I liked it or not.

The choice of notes really does not grab my ears.

Some guitarist can say the right thing with few notes ala Angus Young and most others who studied their guitar skills backwards and forwards says nothing other than a sub niche who is fan of the style.

I do have some of the early Marty Friedman stuff on cd and videos. Today it's really boring note choice and lack of songwriting. The Megadeth stuff was the classic for him.
As much as I respect Petrucci I moved on to other stuff because as good as his riffs and solos were/are, they just aren't the kind of thing that you bounce along to when you aren't listening to the disc. He plays an amazing solo and as soon as he's done you can't really remember what he played. I don't mean it to take anything away from his musicianship, he's fantastic in that regard. I just prefer something to be a bit more memorable.

As a counterpoint, I find some of his solos extremely memorable; but to each his own.

ryjan said:
quote="rotebass"]
ryjan said:
I said that I didnt like him or his style.

Normally I wouldn't get involved in a discussion such as this, but I feel compelled to ask why you say that you don't like him? To me that says that you don't like him as a person, which unless you know him on a personal level or have at the very least met him, is a completely ridiculous statement.

Honestly, Petrucci seems like a very humble, down to earth kind of guy. In fact, I've never heard otherwise. Now, I've never met him at the time that this has been written, but from every video that I have seen of him and every interview that I have read (which hasn't been that many), he appears to be nothing short of professional.

That's all I have to say about this topic.

P.S. MesaGod666 - The fact that you keep posting "Petrucci is God" every page or so, makes me laugh. Not in a bad way, I just find it entertaining. :D

[/quote]
Hey, fanboy, watch the youtube video where he walks you through his rig. He uses more modulation and effects than a one man band. Sorry you're an immature little excuse for a man who has to throw insults at people who are voicing an opinion. Maybe you should leave this forum as it is for musicians, not just petrusketeers.
:p[/quote]

Man I'm sorry (LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: ) I am a HUGE Petrucci fan but I never knew I was a PETRUSKATEER :lol: :lol: :lol: Good God I almost pissed myself when I read that. That is freakin' hilarious and I'm using that from now on!! Now John knows what to call his legions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

Alright, alright. I'll give DT a third shot because all the "Petruskateers" can't be wrong. So what are the essential JP albums that one must own. I mean, if you had one shot at really impressing someone with one of their songs which one is the defining Dream Theater song.

ryjan said:
Alright, alright. I'll give DT a third shot because all the "Petruskateers" can't be wrong. So what are the essential JP albums that one must own. I mean, if you had one shot at really impressing someone with one of their songs which one is the defining Dream Theater song.

A Change of Seasons.

An amazing song, not only musically, but lyrically.

I take most of it back. Petrucci sounds pretty **** good. HOWEVER, wtf is up with that annoying keyboard player! He's like Will Farrell playing the cowbell. The cartoonish keyboard sound is what I was confusing with the Petrucci tone. If they added a rhythm guitarist to play background parts and axed the peeanist they would move up about 100 notches in my book. Just make him stop doubling the guitars for christs sake. :lol:

Back