Whats with the John Petrucci obsession?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does John Petrucci's tone float your boat.

• It's incredible. I'd hit that four ways from Sunday.

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • Its pretty good.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • I'm not phased either way.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Its a bit rubbish.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I'd like to hack at it with a rusty razor blade covered in cyanide.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
ryjan said:
I take most of it back. Petrucci sounds pretty **** good. HOWEVER, wtf is up with that annoying keyboard player! He's like Will Farrell playing the cowbell. The cartoonish keyboard sound is what I was confusing with the Petrucci tone. If they added a rhythm guitarist to play background parts and axed the peeanist they would move up about 100 notches in my book. Just make him stop doubling the guitars for christs sake. :lol:
Thats kinda funny cuz derek sherinian(the old keyboard player) wanted to play some rhythm guitar on one of the albums and petrucci said F@&* that gay winger S%&# :lol: :lol: :lol:

To each his own. But the keyboards in DT sound great and add alot of atmosphere to the songs. Plus all of the keyboardists they have had, have been trained as pianists, and piano plus prog sounds awesome.

LTE said:
To each his own. But the keyboards in DT sound great and add alot of atmosphere to the songs. Plus all of the keyboardists they have had, have been trained as pianists, and piano plus prog sounds awesome.

Piano good, Keyboards gay!!!!

Sixstringpsycho said:
Change of Seasons, Pull me Under, ministry of lost souls

I'm not a fan of Change of Seasons - don't know why. But, I love Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Scenes From a Memory! Those are my favorites I think.

MusicManJP6 said:
Sixstringpsycho said:
Change of Seasons, Pull me Under, ministry of lost souls

I'm not a fan of Change of Seasons - don't know why. But, I love Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Scenes From a Memory! Those are my favorites I think.

Got to agree on that one, Scenes From a Memory is incredible.
I think if you really want to hear his tone, go live. Watch the DVD's Budokan, Scenes from New York and Score.
In the studio it's always layered and manipulated, and yes, it sounds tight. But if he takes his rig live, mannn, it gives me chills :)

Petruskateer out... lol

I saw Dream Theater live on the 09 PN tour, and during the DT soundcheck before they played. Oh man, petrucci's guitar tech stepped out on stage with his guitar into the mark v's and just played an e chord on the rhythm channel, fucking amazing. Like, words cannot describe how good they sounded.

ryjan said:
Alright, alright. I'll give DT a third shot because all the "Petruskateers" can't be wrong. So what are the essential JP albums that one must own. I mean, if you had one shot at really impressing someone with one of their songs which one is the defining Dream Theater song.

Voices
Misunderstood
Surrounded
Endless Sacrifice

God there are so many great songs.

The thing about his tone is that you can't just buy a JP6 and a Mark IV or something he's used, add some delay and nail it. Forget about studio tones. You'll never get them. But live, his rig is just so massive, you still can't get it with just the amp and guitar. Add to that the rumor that his Mark V's are modded and of course, his talent, technique and touch.

You can only listen to his tone and admire it.

Dave

My favorite solo is from In the name of God. The best one is the last solo from the Live at Budokan album. That just goes to the very core of my soul. I could listen to that over and over again.

isn´t it nice...
the new JP rig:
rack.jpg

MesaGod666 said:
Erotomaniac1928 said:
DT frontrow and backstage tomorrow night! Cant wait

If you were a man I'd punch you...punch you right in the mouth.

:D

So I can assume youd really kick my *** if I told you it was my third time with above mentioned tickets?

I must be one of the few who did not buy a mesa becuause of petrucci, it's not that i don't like him.. I love him (not in a gay way)) I just think I could get his tone close enough with just a toneport and that's without all the hassle just plug in and your good to go.. I actually bought my mesa express to play mostly blues and acdc stuff..
Because that's where digital equipment fails..

His Mark IV tone on the 2 new Liquid Tension Experiment live DVDs is fantastic:

"Acid Rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edqH0ofRQrM

"Kindred Spirits"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZuX_Q9ruk

"Paradigm Shift"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMsuz24-ds

"Rhapsody In Blue Part 1"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvRDgv1uib4

Lots more on youtube.

(I also started a thread about it in the "Petrucci Tone" sub-forum)

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39533

joe web said:
isn´t it nice...
the new JP rig:
rack.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Urgh! Dream Theater turned me on to progressive music AND metal when i was in high school with Metropolis Pt. II. To me that album still holds some of the most holy grail of tones, and mature writing style (which is why I think Petrucci has always stood out among his contemporaries). Fatal Tragedy for one. Even though Petrucci has switched rigs and guitars a bunch of times. It wasnt actually until I got into Coheed and Cambria that turned me on to Mesa, and THEN I learned Petrucci used them and dozens of other amazing artists used them and I went and bought my first Mesa (an early 2 channel Recto). Now that I use a Mk. III though, I feel i'm closer to having the tone i've longed for all these years though. Now I just want MOOOORE! hahaha.

Petrucci is the overlord though...

Latest posts

Back