Whats with the John Petrucci obsession?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does John Petrucci's tone float your boat.

• It's incredible. I'd hit that four ways from Sunday.

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • Its pretty good.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • I'm not phased either way.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Its a bit rubbish.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I'd like to hack at it with a rusty razor blade covered in cyanide.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
I'm not into it.

I watched the solo clips in this thread but no. I can get the same out of my Quad preamp and Jackson so it's noting special to me.

I prefer Randy Rhoads RIP. He was about the only schooled guitarplayer who had taste/feeling! Any other guy sounds like the latest scales, chords, sweep picking etc. he just practised before the stuff you hear was recorded.

As for Anthrax. Dan Spitz used Mesa and Scott used Marshalls with a TDC electronic boost/distortion pedal. Dan was a good leadplayer but his solo's are ruined by effects tone wise.

I'm sorry if I offended any fans. This is just my 2 cents.

Friedmett said:
I'm not into it.

I watched the solo clips in this thread but no. I can get the same out of my Quad preamp and Jackson so it's noting special to me.

I prefer Randy Rhoads RIP. He was about the only schooled guitarplayer who had taste/feeling! Any other guy sounds like the latest scales, chords, sweep picking etc. he just practised before the stuff you hear was recorded.

As for Anthrax. Dan Spitz used Mesa and Scott used Marshalls with a TDC electronic boost/distortion pedal. Dan was a good leadplayer but his solo's are ruined by effects tone wise.

I agree. Although a talented player, Petrucci bores the **** out of me. Ooh, he has like, $7000 worth of effects. Anyone who has a G-Major can sound just like him or better. What about Angus Young? He could play any amp and I would immediately recognize his style. How about SRV? I dont think you would mistake him with anyone else if he was playing his Fender or if he was on a Marshall. Most of the time Petrucci sounds too synthesizer-like anyway. Get some style instead of another pedal!

ryjan said:
Friedmett said:
I'm not into it.

I agree. Although a talented player, Petrucci bores the sh!t out of me. Ooh, he has like, $7000 worth of effects. Anyone who has a G-Major can sound just like him or better. What about Angus Young? He could play any amp and I would immediately recognize his style. How about SRV? I dont think you would mistake him with anyone else if he was playing his Fender or if he was on a Marshall. Most of the time Petrucci sounds too synthesizer-like anyway. Get some style instead of another pedal!

I hope to god you're a troll.

i mean for the most part, Petruccis sound is a mark type lead and some delay, he doesnt use tons of chorus, flanger, other effects that cover up playing, or wah often (like kirk).

and to the guy above me, the " latest scales"??

What is their some scale factory that pops out new ones?

i will say that as of late petrucci has a little less "style and finesse" and more shred ooo look what i can do, but he's still pretty tasetful... if you listen to 6doit and before he was very tasteful

LTE said:
ryjan said:
Friedmett said:
I'm not into it.

I agree. Although a talented player, Petrucci bores the sh!t out of me. Ooh, he has like, $7000 worth of effects. Anyone who has a G-Major can sound just like him or better. What about Angus Young? He could play any amp and I would immediately recognize his style. How about SRV? I dont think you would mistake him with anyone else if he was playing his Fender or if he was on a Marshall. Most of the time Petrucci sounds too synthesizer-like anyway. Get some style instead of another pedal!

I hope to god you're a troll.

i mean for the most part, Petruccis sound is a mark type lead and some delay, he doesnt use tons of chorus, flanger, other effects that cover up playing, or wah often (like kirk).

and to the guy above me, the " latest scales"??

What is their some scale factory that pops out new ones?
Hey, fanboy, watch the youtube video where he walks you through his rig. He uses more modulation and effects than a one man band. Sorry you're an immature little excuse for a man who has to throw insults at people who are voicing an opinion. Maybe you should leave this forum as it is for musicians, not just petrusketeers.
:p

ryjan said:
Friedmett said:
I'm not into it.

Then u must not have seen dream theater live. He puts more passion and feeling into playing then alot of other players do. And i could recognize petrucci if he played any amp...HE DOES HAVE HIS OWN STYLE!!!

ryjan said:
Hey, fanboy, watch the youtube video where he walks you through his rig. He uses more modulation and effects than a one man band. Sorry you're an immature little excuse for a man who has to throw insults at people who are voicing an opinion. Maybe you should leave this forum as it is for musicians, not just petrusketeers.

Clips of your playing or STFU.

rotebass said:
ryjan said:

Have I been challenged to some kind of faggy duel or something. I wasnt fucking talking to you. What are you 13 or something or just some dorky little fat kid living in his parents basement?

Then u must not have seen dream theater live. He puts more passion and feeling into playing then alot of other players do. And i could recognize petrucci if he played any amp...HE DOES HAVE HIS OWN STYLE!!
Thats perfectly fine with me if you love petrucci. My opinion shouldnt sway yours. Music is art and there really is no good or bad, just like or dislike. :roll: The origional post here is sort of a question about what people think about him. Not my style. I personally dont like him. People are so fukin wierd about petrucci. Just because you think the sun sets on his *** doesnt mean that everybody has to love him also.

ryjan said:
rotebass said:
ryjan said:

Have I been challenged to some kind of faggy duel or something. I wasnt f%&# talking to you. What are you 13 or something or just some dorky little fat kid living in his parents basement?

What the **** is your problem douche? rotebass has a valid point.

I agree Petrucci isnt as tasteful now, but hes still an amazing player. And you must be fucking retarded if you think he uses all of those effects at once. Yeah he has say like a flanger and a chorus pedal, he doesnt have them on all the time, he uses them for certain parts, usually clean rhythm parts, his lead tone is pure boogie, delay and slight overdrive.

And calling me a fanboy, where do you get off on that? Should i look at your gear and go " oh, well hes 1. on a mesa boogie board. 2. has a gibson explorer conclusion? OH YOU THINK JAMES HETFIELD IS A GO AND YOU WORSHIP HIM.

and how the hell was my first response an insult?

seriously gtfo, this board is for people with reason.

ryjan said:
Have I been challenged to some kind of faggy duel or something. I wasnt f%&# talking to you. What are you 13 or something or just some dorky little fat kid living in his parents basement?

You think you can just come in here, make some half *** remarks about another guitarist's lack of style, and not get called out on it?

Come on, you seem to be the expert on what constitutes style, show us how well you can play.

Edit: Before you decide to play the fanboi card, I don't own a single DT album.

ryjan said:
I wasnt f%&# talking to you.

This is the part that gets me. This is a fucking message board, its open to any members to talk, its not like some private one to one discussion, what makes you think you can sound all tough on the internet, people that act tough on the internet are usually the ones that are dorky 13 year olds.

I agree with rotebass, post a clip.

rotebass said:

YOUVE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD

:lol:

[/quote]
:p[/quote]

Funny that you're telling the guy to leave the forum. Maybe you should go over to the ESP boards. I think they're more you're style over there. :lol: And for what its worth, just because Petrucci has all those effects doesn't mean he uses all of them. I heard him play at a small gig in NY and all he used was his BFR and a Mark IV and his tone was amazing. I think you should do some research on guitarists that overuse effects before you attempt to make an argument. Look at Kirk with the use of the wah, you wanna talk about obsessive? Zakk Wylde totally overuses effects as well, and the list of guitar players can go on and on, but if it gets the job done and someone is a fan of that sound, whats the big deal? No need to get in a pissing match over it.

Wow! You guys are all pretty defensive about your precious little guitar player. I think petrucci sucks donkey dongs and your little temper tantrums wont make me think any different. I dont have a ton of stupid gear listed in my sig line because I'm not one of those assholes that have to list every piece of gear I own down to my strings and picks. Oh no, dont make fun of my guitar because some professional musician played one like it once! Now I'm devestated because you compared me with James Hatfeld. And I cant play my Les Paul because then you might call me Jimmy Page, and I guess my strat is a no no because then I'd just be trying to steal Claptons sound. And now some upset little dork wants me to post clips? Yes, that makes sense. I have to be the best guitar player in the world in order to have any idea about what kind of music I like to listen to. :roll: You guys are fun. Thanks for all the laughs tonight!

rotebass said:
ryjan said:

You think you can just come in here, make some half *** remarks about another guitarist's lack of style, and not get called out on it?

Come on, you seem to be the expert on what constitutes style, show us how well you can play.

Yes. As a matter of fact I did just come in here and made all the comments that I felt like making. :lol:

ryjan said:
Wow! You guys are all pretty defensive about your precious little guitar player. I think petrucci sucks donkey dongs and your little temper tantrums wont make me think any different. I dont have a ton of stupid gear listed in my sig line because I'm not one of those assholes that have to list every piece of gear I own down to my strings and picks. Oh no, dont make fun of my guitar because some professional musician played one like it once! Now I'm devestated because you compared me with James Hatfeld. And I cant play my Les Paul because then you might call me Jimmy Page, and I guess my strat is a no no because then I'd just be trying to steal Claptons sound. And now some upset little dork wants me to post clips? Yes, that makes sense. I have to be the best guitar player in the world in order to have any idea about what kind of music I like to listen to. :roll: You guys are fun. Thanks for all the laughs tonight!

I guess you don't know what sarcasm is.

We might be getting defensive, but you're the one throwing temper tantrums, i mean first it was you don't like petrucci, and now its he sucks donkey dongs. And just by posting a clip doesnt mean you have to be the best guitar player, hell there isn't a best guitar player, i thought you would learned that at age 31.

Respect to fans. That's what I always say.

I watched the videoclips given and I could instantly say if I liked it or not.

The choice of notes really does not grab my ears.

Some guitarist can say the right thing with few notes ala Angus Young and most others who studied their guitar skills backwards and forwards says nothing other than a sub niche who is fan of the style.

I do have some of the early Marty Friedman stuff on cd and videos. Today it's really boring note choice and lack of songwriting. The Megadeth stuff was the classic for him.

ryjan said:
YOU MUST BE A FAN OF C.C. DEVILLE...TAKE IT C.C.!!! :lol: :lol:

ryjan said:
Yes. As a matter of fact I did just come in here and made all the comments that I felt like making. :lol:

And you got called on your stupidity :D

Latest posts

Back