What's this, prototype or clone? (Caliber .50 content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aart

Reaction score
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2426388

For a prototype its weird to misspell caliber on the back. For a clone this was a lot of work...

I don't think Boogie, even in a prototype, would have any of the following:

- No push/pull pots around and have to fab a totally new type of amp chassis to put it in
- A different 'Mesa Engineering' branding
- Spelling mistakes
- 16 Ohm speaker output

I've played a prototype Mark IV which was almost identical to the finished product with the exception of the fact that it was in a Mark III chassis. If you look at prototype Rectifier-series amps, they were at first built into Mark III long head chassis and the rectifier tubes actually stuck out of the back of the amp (it didn't have to look pretty!)

If you compare this to the Zoom copies from the 70's (Mesia Boogie) then it looks a bit silly.

An elaborate fake or serious modification. Calibre and Classe A ???
It has a 16 Ohm tap because they took a standup Dagnall or Drake OT and laid it on it's side.
Sadly, it looks like a ton of work went into it and it has some Boogie parts. A gutshot would tell us
if it's a DC PCB stuffed into another chassis and modified.

JimmyB said:
Definitely a fake... but it's nice to see 'calibre' spelled properly for once. Dammit, even Dodge spelled it wrong as well!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Apparently, it is an acceptable varient, especially to our French speaking friends North of the border.

Main Entry: cal·i·ber
Variant(s): or cal·i·bre \?ka-l?-b?r, British also k?-?l?-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French calibre, from Old Italian calibro, from Arabic q?lib shoemaker's last
Date: 1567
1 a : degree of mental capacity or moral quality b : degree of excellence or importance
2 a : the diameter of a bullet or other projectile b : the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction <.32 caliber>
3 : the diameter of a round or cylindrical body; especially : the internal diameter of a hollow cylinder

Jim ( I just HAD to look it up) :roll:

av8or3 said:
JimmyB said:
Definitely a fake... but it's nice to see 'calibre' spelled properly for once. Dammit, even Dodge spelled it wrong as well!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Apparently, it is an acceptable varient, especially to our French speaking friends North of the border.

Main Entry: cal·i·ber
Variant(s): or cal·i·bre \?ka-l?-b?r, British also k?-?l?-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French calibre, from Old Italian calibro, from Arabic q?lib shoemaker's last
Date: 1567
1 a : degree of mental capacity or moral quality b : degree of excellence or importance
2 a : the diameter of a bullet or other projectile b : the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction <.32 caliber>
3 : the diameter of a round or cylindrical body; especially : the internal diameter of a hollow cylinder

Jim ( I just HAD to look it up) :roll:
Actually, it's not just 'acceptable', it's the correct spelling in English as well... everywhere outside the U.S., that is! :lol:

Hi !
This is my amp we're talking about !!!
And here are some pics :

IMG_5916.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg

I don't know what a real Caliber circuit board looks like...but, man, this one is wacky! I've never seen one like that. Definitely hand-designed.

Chip

Latest posts

Back