Running .50 Caliber+ without reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4phn

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's okay to run my .50 Caliber+ (1) without the reverb tube plugged in, and (2) with the spring unit disconnected?

The reverb has not worked since I bought the amp. Changing 12AT7 tubes did not fix it, so I've been running it with no reverb tube for a while. After taking a look inside the chassis, I found the black wire coming from one of the ends of the spring unit to be snapped (the wire is circled in the image below), so it was never connected from the spring to the board. Also, testing for continuity between both of the green wires, at the points where they met the board, there was none.

I am actually fine with this, since the reverb in this circuit comes before the effects loop, and I want my reverb after all my in-the-loop effects, so I'll just use a pedal. What I am wondering is if it will cause any damage to the amp to disconnects both pairs of the twisted green and black wires from the board and take the tube out. There was slight burn damage on the board where the 22K 2W resistor meets the B node. You can kinda see it in the picture next to that pair of orange caps, where that lead and the red wire touch. That's the red wire from the reverb transformer. I'm wondering if this is because the black wire had broken or because I was running it without a tube.

Should I disconnect the spring unit from the board, and take the tube out? Should I disconnect the reverb transformer from the B node and from the board? What's the best way to completely eliminate the reverb from the circuit safely?
Reverb Wire.png
Power amp.png
Preamp.png

Hi, I can't see you having to do more than remove the 12at7 reverb tube? On the board itself you could "lift one side" of the (C) 100k resistor and the (B) 22k resistor. Really with the tube removed the reverb coil is only grounded on one side and the other connects to pin 2 of the tube socket?
If you do this "mod" it would be easily reversible for the future, if one desires? Good luck...
Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back