What power tubes do you run in your mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 60 watt mark III short head and have been experimenting with with two tube sets... Mesa 5881-6L6 STR 425's and Mesa 6L6 GC 440's.

I'll make a brief description of the two just for further reference...

The 440's seemed to have a smooth midrange, big bottom (not flabby or loose) and again, a fairly smooth top end. Pretty balanced tube i would say. But keep in mind i'm comparing it to the only other tubes i have floating around....

The 425's - These tubes seemed very AGGRESSIVE and lots of grinding midrange. I literally had to keep the presence on 2 and scoop the 240, 750 and 2200 sliders almost to the bottom line....and there were still plenty of mids to cut thru in a metal band!
The bottom end was very tight and defined. The top end can get a little "harsh" (not the word i wanted to use but i can't think of another one :oops: ) but really nothing a little EQing can't fix.

So, my question is in the thread title. :p And...
feel free to recommend me some other tubes 8)

I use a pair of 447's (El34s) in the outside pair and 440s on the inside pair, although I have the later green stripe model that is 60 watts in the 'class a' setting, and almost always keep it in that setting with just the EL34s.

AtomicMassUnit said:
I use a pair of 447's (El34s) in the outside pair and 440s on the inside pair, although I have the later green stripe model that is 60 watts in the 'class a' setting, and almost always keep it in that setting with just the EL34s.

Sweet! :p
I would love to have to option of blending different tubes, but, unfortunatly for me my Boogie isn't simul-class.

I'd love to do a side by side comparison of a simul-class and non simul- class Boogie though.

I'm running JJ 6L6s. They sound pretty good IMO, but I haven't really shopped around. I had str 415s in them before I replaced them and the JJ's are much brighter and clearer than the 415s.

TAD 6L6WGC-STR
I've put them in several amps since trying them in my Mark III's inner sockets. They breakup wonderfully as the volume is raised. I can get a really close Bassman like tone if I push my Mark III's clean channel. I also put some in my Pignose G40V and now it's a keeper.

Back