what about Fulltone OCD?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonestarpaul

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm searching for my definitive combination of gain boxes in order to achieve different distortion levels with my Lonestar Classic head+cab on channel 1.

I already have the BB Preamp and it sounds absolutely GREAT, but I need something else to push the amp further and cover these sounds (in order starting from clean channel 1):

1. Clean = no pedals on the Lonestar Channel 1
2. Crunch = 1 + a pedal to push the amp and add a little dirt (Xotic RC Booster or BB Preamp)
3. Overdrive = 1 + 2 + another pedal to add more gain (Xotic BB Preamp or Fulltone OCD)

I'm unsure about which combination can work better with my amp and my guitars (Gibson SG and Fender '72 Custom Telecaster): RC + BB or BB + OCD? What d'you think?

Thanks! :wink:

I tried getting my v3 OCD to do this for me for several months... I finally decided I didn't like the combination. The OCD really seems more like a distortion box than a true OD pedal, albeit a really, really good one. But it changes the shape of the signal enough to make it sound like a different amp; it didn't add to the natural progression between amp > boosted > really boosted that I was after (and it sounds like maybe you're after?).

I ended up doing this with Barbers: Tone Press > LTD > Lonestar. They're very transparent and can push without really altering your tone much at all... they sound like your amp. They're also a little less spendy than the Xotic stuff.

I did keep my OCD, though. It's a fantastic pedal and it sounds absolutely killer going into my Deluxe Reverb... it's been slotted into my more portable 1+1+1 setup. :)

I don't have any experience with the OCD, but I like the combinations I'm getting from RC -> BB -> Lonestar.

I'm playing a deluxe strat, and a les paul bfg

...thanks a lot for your advices :wink:
I've just bought a Fulltone OCD 'cause I've found a good offer for an used v3, the one I prefer listening to some samples around the net. I'll write my impressions as soon as I can try it with my Lonestar.

Anyway I'm pretty sure I won't stop looking for an RC: as far as I can understand, it's a killer combination with the BB!

Quetapasao said:
Djw , which speaker are you using with your DR ?
I'll have to double check when I get home later today, but I'm pretty sure it's a Weber 25-watt 12F150A. When I bought the amp (about 12 years ago) it was loaded with an EV12L, which was... interesting. I wanted to get the amp back to something like the original spec, and the Weber folks suggested the one that I got. The Weber is definitely loud and punchy; the DR really kicks serious butt now, maybe too much butt.

I have an OCD that I play through my Lonestars Channel 1. I also works really well to give channel 2 more grit. djw is right, it does make the amp sound like a totally different amp. For me, that a good thing... 2 amps in one! Plus, my LSC is Reeder Modded, so Channel 2 is much better. But, add the OCD and you get a more scooped sound and more grit. I like it.

I want to try out a BB Preamp too though.

UPDATE: I had the chance to try the OCD v3 with my LSC and I'm glad to say it sounds AMAZING!!! It's probably not the most natural overdrive, but it has an unique and powerful tone. I played it with my BB (set up like a CH1 boost / low gain crunch) right before in the chain and I'd say it gives its best for "hi-gain" sounds, but it's pretty good even for a cleaner and transparent boost to achieve a lighter crunch tone (HP/LP mode can help you a lot with that).

Someday I'll add a RC boost before those 2 to use it as a transparent boost for a low-gain crunch, and then close the chain with the BB for a "natural" overdriven tone and then the OCD as a hi-gain box, when I need to push the amp further. I'm already happy with this configuration, but I'm sure that combination will kick ***!!! :twisted:

Well, back to the Fulltone: in the end I think it's a GREAT sounding pedal...I'm truly happy with it and I cannot wait to discover every sound I can achieve! :wink:

Latest posts

Back