Just a few general comments or opinion of the Badlander 100W

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bandit2013 Thanks for your input! I think I may end up looking for a traditional Recto 412 to accompany my Soldano V30 412. I can't get past how great this cab sounds with all my Rectos ( Single, RoV &, Rev G ). I'm assuming it's going to be just as good if not better! IDK though - this Soldano V30 412 absolutely RIPS.

In regards to the Badlander 50 vs 100, I'm curious. However, really wish the 6L6 was there! I know that has deterred some folks.

I have Series 1 Singles and RoVs. They absolutely can hold their own against my Rev G. Get the right EQ/OD set-up with the right cab/speakers and that's all it takes ( a good player too of course!).
Sure you can run 6L6 in the Badlander. I feel the Badlander sounds way better with the EL34. More grind less fizzy. I did a poorly done video comparing the BAD with 6L6 STR440 to the MWDR with stock tubes. As it seems, the BAD has a thinner tone when running the 6L6 tubes. It actually sounds much better with the EL34 but lacks the bolstered midrange that many would associate with an EL34 based amp. Most of the low end of the Rectifier is associated with the cold clipper circuit. Bad has that too but uses a different cathode resistor so the sub harmonic content is not there. Perhaps that is why most have no interest in it if they are after that true Rectifier sound. the video below did not have good balance in the mic setup or levels.

@bandit2013 Thank you for the sound samples, much appreciated! I'm not exactly sure why I said the Badlander didn't take 6L6 knowing all my Rectos are set-up for 6L6 only. Lol I've also been looking back at the Stilettos a lot lately and must have been completely sidetracked on thinking of them. I've been pondering finally adding one to the collection. However, I'm still jonesin to find out how this Badlander sounds. I use a Boss SD-1 to boost my Rectos ( absolutely love the way it tightens them) but apparently the Badlander doesn't need a boost..(?)

@bandit2013 Thank you for the sound samples, much appreciated! I'm not exactly sure why I said the Badlander didn't take 6L6 knowing all my Rectos are set-up for 6L6 only. Lol I've also been looking back at the Stilettos a lot lately and must have been completely sidetracked on thinking of them. I've been pondering finally adding one to the collection. However, I'm still jonesin to find out how this Badlander sounds. I use a Boss SD-1 to boost my Rectos ( absolutely love the way it tightens them) but apparently the Badlander doesn't need a boost..(?)
Since I have Two BADS, Ran one with 6L6 to compare to the EL34 in the other. They sounded very similar to each other. Say the 6L6 was just a tad thinner in tone. Still had the grind to melt paint.

As for a boost, depends on what you want. I generally do not use boost pedals. Not much of a selection in my inventory. Strymon OB.1 Compressor/sustainer, Mesa Grid Slammer, Mesa flux drive. That is about it. Grid slammer sounded great with the Badlander. Added in more compression on the crush voice. I did not notice much of a difference in the crunch voice. Flux drive worked better on the clean voice setting. There is plenty of gain to be considered usable in the amp.

Do a search on youtube, I think there are those that demo the amp with extra boost of sorts. If it is something you are considering, try one out at Guitar center. Ask for a boost pedal to see if it meets your needs before you buy the amp. Boosting with distortion or overdrive is subjective at best. Hard to comment on that since I do not have the SD-1.

Call me nuts but the Badlander is almost too tight. It’s great for that. Almost Mark level tight. But it’s always tight even if that’s not what you want.

Recto fans are overjoyed! Users have been boosting their amps for years so for MB to build it in to the amp (finally) is godsend. Honestly, it just makes the amp more appealing to own. I have both Rectos and Marks and still wouldn't choose one over the other.

Perhaps it does not power sag as much as the MWDR or Roadster. Many have claimed the Royal Atlantic was this or that, more forward or tight. Nah, to me that amp is the pinnacle of Mesa's creativity but you need to figure it out and how to unlock its real nature. A few NOS tubes and that is it. I get some power sag with that amp, may not dip as low as a Rectifier. Harmonics are amazing as is the overall tone. Mesa did not do the platform much justice when they came out with the TC-100. Still a great amp in all respects, it is just not a Royal Atlantic RA0-100.

I have lots of love for the Rectifier lineup too. However, I was more of a Mark fan than Rectifier fan. The MWDR did change that desire more than I expected it too. Then I wanted to see if it was possible to get the Roadster to be near its equal. That was another trick with a NOS JAN/GE 5751 or the Phillips version (which ever was the cheaper one) Stuff that into V1 and hear the difference. Sure a change in V2 and the phase inverter helps, Mullard reissue 12AX7. Then V3 and V5 can be tailored with a NOS JAN/GE 12AX7WA as they will hold up in the cathode follower positions. Wait, what you say? The 5751 is lower gain than 12AX7. On paper it is. When tested it is not. I did not notice any volume change if at all. It if does have a reduction in gain, the cold clipper of V2 is not getting swamped which seems to reduce some of the sub harmonic influences and does get closer to the MWDR character. Ch2 and CH4 will always have a darker tone as it was designed to be that way.

The Badlander sort of fills the gap. It has the desired characteristics of the Royal Atlantic RA-100 (loaded with NOS tubes), it has the influential tone of a Mark amp in the crush voice and traits of the Dual Rectifier in the crunch voice. Top it of with the variac power mode and you get more of that Recto tone. Now the fun begins, the BAD is not bad with the 6L6 power tube. It is very similar to the performance level of the EL34. Where it differs is the midrange content. A fuller body with the EL34 tube and a bit more scooped with the 6L6. I could be happy with either option. The other benefit is the relationship to the gain control and its voice modes. Sure you can dime it up if you want more fur in you tone. Dial it back for more dynamics. It is a really cool amp just on its own. Love the clean voice too. Similar to the JP-2C clean but also like the MWDR clean, but with some borrowed traits from the RA and TC (sorry not many references to choose from). Not quite sure it has the LoneStar circuit but it sounds great for clean up to some moderate gain for that early rock sound. Very hard to explain its versatility in tone farm landscape. Note that the BAD replaced the role of the RA-100. Still have the RA on the throne of what I feel is ideal for me. The BAD is that little devil on the King's shoulder, and the angel on the other shoulder at the same time. Bad analogy.

Since we all have different expectations and likes, try one out. I am also considering the Mark VII one of these days. I will have to demo one at a GC or where ever I can come across it. Sure, that amp came out just days after I got my 2nd BAD. No regrets. Just have to save up and get the MK7 if it impresses me.

Call me nuts but the Badlander is almost too tight. It’s great for that. Almost Mark level tight. But it’s always tight even if that’s not what you want.

This is actually really attractive for me to the Badlander. Funny enough, I've read that some even still prefer using a boost as well! Lol

Yep, they do. It actually sounds great with the grid slammer. I do not have two so I do not use them. The switch track did not take kindly to the grid slammer. I would need two if I wanted to boost both BADS (between amp and switch track).

I had an Electrodyne for about a year. The low gain sound was excellent. You could really push vintage high if you boosted it and basically dimed *everything*.

The volume taper was ridiculous, though. Painfully loud amplifiers. The attenuators for the RAs made all kinds of sense. I made this recording before I sold it. Holds up pretty okay. Nice cleans at 1:24 with a bit of lead playing after that.

Bandit - one thing I've never been able to do with my TC-50 is get the kind of snarl I got from my Electrodyne. I'm interested to know if your pre-amp tube experiments might help me recapture some of this, especially the snarl in the chord around the 50 second mark:

Wow, I haven't listened to this track in several years. The Electradyne goes SO HARD. I always knew that my TC-50 wasn't hitting as hard as the ED had, but wow, the different is huge. It was an incredibly brawny amplifier.

Wow, I haven't listened to this track in several years. The Electradyne goes SO HARD. I always knew that my TC-50 wasn't hitting as hard as the ED had, but wow, the different is huge. It was an incredibly brawny amplifier.
That sounded great. As for the TC-50 sounding anything like that, not really sure if it can. That ED had more definition in its tone and gain characteristic. As for preamp tubes, nothing will make a difference in the V3, V4 positions which is the Hi/Lo preamp section. The only preamp tubes that have any effect that is noticeable are the FX and PI positions and that is not much to work with. However, if you venture into a set of Gold Lion KT77, Tung Sol EL34B, EH 6CA7 or Ruby EL34BHT. You do get into a different gain structure. The KT77 did have more midrange if I recall correctly. However, once you change the power tubes to those listed, you loose the characteristic that made the clean channel desirable. That being said, the Triple Crown has its own unique pre-defined tune that is not affected by preamp tube swaps. Sure the hi/lo preamp is very similar to the Royal Atlantic in some ways but different in others. The TC has a few op-amps in its design that that make it difficult to take advantage of preamp tube characteristics. I tried rolling in the same tubes as I have used in the RA and nothing would make much of a difference. As for the ED, the hi/lo gain section is more of a Stiletto /Marshall blend. Instead of the Recto 39k cold clipper resistor, it has a 10k (more traditional Marshall design). That may be why I have some interest in the Electra Dyne.

A JAN/GE 12AT7 in the V5 may help a bit but will not affect the tone of the amp. Only way I could get some difference in drive and tone was change in power tubes. Even an GEQ in the FX loop may aid to some extent. The same could be said for the TC-100. Sorry I do not have a solution for you regarding the TC-50.

I am struggling to find words to agree or disagree with the BAD being too tight. It is not loose and flubby but is not dry and tight either. Sort of middle ground between the MWDR and the JP2C,

Perhaps the BAD is more balanced between loose and tight. I would have to turn off the effects (BigSky reverb) and see if I feel it is one way or the other. I basically hear similar traits to the Royal Atlantic with the Badlander. It is more forward than a Mark or Rectifier. Does not need any specific GEQ to correct for too much of this or too little of that. I have run the BAD without effects just as I have with the MWDR, they both sound good. Still, I prefer a hall effect reverb with any of my amps, tight, dry, loose or sterile as they may be.

Back