Trying to get JCM-800 sounds on Rectoverb Series 2 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verks26

Reaction score
Wanted to ask if anyone out there has come close to emulating the classic
80's Marshall hard rock sound on a Single Rectifer/Rectoverb Combo.

I'm shooting for a Matthias Jabs/Scorpions sound since my band covers a lot of early -mid 80's hair band songs.. If you had any settings that would be super helpful. Also wondering about a good delay and chorus that sounds good through this amp.

Thanks!

v

Try EL34's in the amp, it's still not going to sound like a JCM800, but it will have more of the "british" style... but over all, it'll still sound like a Rectoverb. Try "Vintage" on channel 2 or "Raw" on channel 1, maybe even use something like a Tubescreamer in front of it.

+1 for EL-34s and vintage-style, brown-sound effects. Modified effects are worth their weight too.

Depending on your cab, look into a British-ey speaker (Eminence being the more affordable) to throw in to mix it up a little, but too much, else your cab will have two entirely different personalities.

Don't get a JCM-800.

I should try a bigger cab.. Right now I'm using an addtional 1x12 Mesa cab with the Black Shadow in addition to the combo. I am a little intrigued by the Stiletto though. Surprisingly haven't given those a lot of thought even cosidering they're pretty much modeled on the classic Marshalls.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ROV, tons of usable tones, With the current band I'm playing in now however, we're focusing solely on good ol' 80's metal, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, so figuring out how to get that sound through my current set up has been interesting.. seems like I may be trying in vain. I also find the ROV is alittle tempremental with effects pedals.. Doesn't seem to really like the Boss DD-3 and Line 6 modulation moldeler I'm currently using. Any Stiletto owners want to chime in? The Ace looks pretty nice.

Thanks guys.

v

You could do what I do to get a JCM800 sound out of another amp.... I set all the knobs to the other amp wherever they look cool then unplug the speaker from the other amp and plug it into my JCM800. Just make sure if the other amp is yours to turn the power off before you unplug the speaker. Works everytime... :wink:

I agree with you koprofag,,, I just figured out a few days a go what you just mentioned here about cutting the treble all the way down... Lower the treble all the way down and for some reason it sounds like you actually get more treb???? And I find out I like to have the mid up to about 12:00... Anyways I have found some real nice tones in this amp I didnt know existed a couple weeks ago.

no crack over here Ahab. try it yourself,, maybe not treble,, but I guess I could also say clearer,less dark, brighter. cant think of any other adjectives. sounds a bit funny but its true. It probably has something to do with the way all the other settings are adjusted.. Ive only had the amp for 2 weeks or so,,,so im still learning all the settings. anyways try what kaprofag suggested. he has come up with many good suggestions in other threads about the rectoverb

Im not trying to get off the subject here,,,but I must ask you koprofag,,,
I noticed in your settings,,,,you use el34's Im wondering how you like those in your rectoverb and which ones are you using,,, what is the difference in sound between those and the 6l6's ?

Koprofag said:
Here are some settings I just dialled in and thought sounded pretty good. With a treble booster in front of the amp you should be able to get pretty convincing VH tones.

All settings are in o'clock and might need to be adjusted to your guitar. I used average output humbuckers.

EL34
Vintage mode
Gain 10
Bass 10
Middle 11
Treble none
Presence 0-10
Master 12
Output 2

Please note that these settings may be too loud for a single C90 speaker and you might have to use an attenuator of some sort.

Thanks for the input kaprofag- I am going to these out tonight and I'll report back soon.. I am using a LP Classic with the high output Gibson cermaic pups, so I'm sure I'll have to do a little tweaking to compensate for this, also, I was using EL-34's for a while with this amp, again to get a more british sound, but I found that they're somewhat volatile in this amp.. or maybe it's just this particular one.. I had some JJ's in there and those went, and then I got some Groove Tubes and those blew after maybe 40 hours or so, I switched back to the Mesa 6L6's and it's been fine, though I have some new Mesa EL-34's I'm putting in tonight.

Have you had any of these problems?

thanks again.

v

Koprofag said:
Here are some settings I just dialled in and thought sounded pretty good. With a treble booster in front of the amp you should be able to get pretty convincing VH tones.

All settings are in o'clock and might need to be adjusted to your guitar. I used average output humbuckers.

EL34
Vintage mode
Gain 10
Bass 10
Middle 11
Treble none
Presence 0-10
Master 12
Output 2

Please note that these settings may be too loud for a single C90 speaker and you might have to use an attenuator of some sort.

Koprofag I have got to admit that I thought your settings were from the loony bin :). However, I just got done jamming in the garage for 2 hours with a Marshall Plexi like tone from my Mesa! I have the Single Recto w/ 34's and ran very similar settings to yours with 0 presence and 0 treble with my Blues Driver OD pedal in front and holy cow! Its insane that a setting like this would sound good at all, not to mention another complete amp voicing. Once again I am blown away by the versatility of the Rectos! Well done! Any other ideas man? HaHa

WOOT! :D The settings might have been too extreme. I can't really use them without an attenuator (too loud!). Thing is, it takes some time to adjust your hearing to these sounds if you're used to the usual Recto sounds, and going back to the usual 12 o'clock settings may take a couple of days of getting used to.. otherwise they will both sound like either mud or fizz. :)

Good call. I will play on it more this weekend and see what my ears tell me. And by the way I hear you on the extreme part - I pulled my master and output down a ton. I think in the end i had my channel master on 9:30 and the overall output on 11 or so to keep my ears from bleeding since I don't own an attenuator. Good Stuff...

Back