My Partscaster - Seymour Duncan JB 250K Push/Pull Pot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
Hello I have a partscaster that a friend of mine put together for me some years ago and below were the parts, body, neck, etc.

- Squier Strat body; Don't know what kind of wood the body is made of though? It's extremely light.

- Neck I bought off Ebay from TNT Custom Guitars: Jackson Style Maple Neck & fretboard, 22 Fret, Floyd Rose Nut.

- 6 inline Black Grover tuning machines.

- The bridge I bought off Ebay is a Made In Mexico Fender tremolo but I had the tremolo setup on the guitar so it wouldn't move at all cause I really don't use trems so he put a total of 4 trem springs so it wouldn't move.

- The mirrored pickguard I got off Ebay and as well.

- 1 bridge humbucer: Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker is wired it to an Alpha push/pull volume pot, 500K I'm pretty sure, no tone pot.

Guitar is in standard E tuning with .009 - .042 nickel wound strings. I'm in a 2 guitarist covers band playing 70's/80's/90's Rock/Classic Rock/Heavy Metal/Hair Metal.

I haven't been playing the Partscaster right now because it's really bright and ice picky! Whether it's through any of my amps: Boogie Mark V 90 Watt head, EVH 5150 III 50 Watt v2 Head 6L6, 1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head, Peavey 6505+ USA Head, Marshall DSL40CR 1x12 Combo.

I read that the JB was designed for 250k pots and that it sounds horrible with 500k pots and someone on another forum told me to upgrade the wires and pots to higher quality. I don't think there is anything wrong with the wiring? I think the pot is bad because the sound cuts in and out when rolling the volume knob up or down whether it's pushed in or pulled out.

I found this on Sweetwater: Mojo Tone CTS Push-pull Potentiometer - Short Shaft - 250k Push-pull Potentiometer with Solid Brass Split Shaft

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-cts-push-pull-potentiometer-short-shaft-250k

What do you think? Should I just get that and have it installed or what? Here is one of the pics I have of the Partscaster

My Partscaster.jpg

Back