Tone of the single-end mode on LS or LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja22y

Reaction score
I have a LSS and for some reason, I don't like the tone of the single-end class A (5w) mode. I've tried and tried all kind of settings and with both single coil and humbucker.
Power chords is ok but single note sounds like out of tune 12 strings or speaker with ripped cone. I think that the 2nd harmonic is too pronounced which caused the note to sound 'loose'
Let me know your opinion.

I think the CLEAN tone coming out of the 5 watt option is the BEST "light, whispy" clean I've ever heard, especially at "normal speaking" volume.

Don't like it much when it gets dirty, but I LOVE it clean (and at low volumes)

ja22y said:
I have a LSS and for some reason, I don't like the tone of the single-end class A (5w) mode. I've tried and tried all kind of settings and with both single coil and humbucker.
Power chords is ok but single note sounds like out of tune 12 strings or speaker with ripped cone. I think that the 2nd harmonic is too pronounced which caused the note to sound 'loose'

Interesting. I find the 2nd harmonic to be very subtle in a live situation (vs. recorded). But I do like the 5W clean channel with the gain low and the master/output turned up!

With LSS one has to really dial in one's tone. There are so many awesome variations.

My setting after tweaking for hours, even days:

Ch. 1 - 30W Gain (12) Master (10'o clock)
Ch. 2 - 5W Drive (1) Gain (11) Master (10)

Single Coil and P90s only - No humbuckers allowed on my LSS 8)

yes in the 5w mode the low gain/clean is fine, the thing is there's alot of floor noise when the master output turns pass 2'oclock. Since the volume is low this setting is not useful in band situation.
I like the 5w concept that I could saturate the power tube at reasonable low volume. But so far I don't like the tone or haven't found one yet.

I really like the 5w setting for clean sounds or with a slight breakup. Since I use my amp only for gigging I tend to leave it on the 30w setting (using the "optional 35w output jack").

I had to weigh in on this one. I have had, and according to my wife still have, literally dozens of cool amps over my middle aged life. 4 of them have been mesas. I honestly have to say that my LSS (which I have only owned a coule of weeks) is so far absolutely my most favorite, as well as the most fun amp I have ever owned to date. (and I don't work for Mesa) Even better still It is MADE IN AMERICA. I have to admit that some of this may be due to me hitting the half century mark a couple weeks ago (amp was my birthday gift to my self) and I can play, get a good break up tone (can't do metal but that is not my thing anyway, hell, my hands won't move that fast anyway). I can play every day and my ears don't hurt.

Bottom line is that this amp is not for everyone given their stage in life as a guitar player/musician, but when I go into my music room which has 2 jcm 800 half stacks, an AC30, a Hughes & Kettner combo and a 30 watt Marshall combo, the LSS is what I play. My sons are very good players and they feel differently.

The tone each of you like is a personal thing and that changes over time. You gotta put some hours on each amp that you try out especially Mesas. I encourage you to read the Mesa manuals, be patiend, tweek it, learn how to pull out some of the great tones that they can produce before you decide on if you like them or not, regardless whether it is a LSS, or a recto or any other mfg. It is up to you to have fun whether you have been playing 1 yr or 30.

Just don't get so caught up in the tone that you forget about having fun. .. enough rambling..

carnivore said:
I had to weigh in on this one. I have had, and according to my wife.

Hi carnivore,

Same here, plus the new LSS had an unintended consequence; the LSS helped me discover some new tones on my Nomad 55 when I started to play and compare them side by side.

ja22y said:
I think that the 2nd harmonic is too pronounced which caused the note to sound 'loose'

I love the looseness of my LSC in 10W when playing clean. It took a lot of tweaking and experimenting to get the sound I'm using but it's so organic and chimey now that wait was worth the time spent. Pure magic. I can't really use it when playing with the guys because of volume, but solo I love it.

I'd post the settings, but I'm floating around out at sea and missing my Mesa.

thirstypirate said:
ja22y said:
I think that the 2nd harmonic is too pronounced which caused the note to sound 'loose'

I love the looseness of my LSC in 10W when playing clean. It took a lot of tweaking and experimenting to get the sound I'm using but it's so organic and chimey now that wait was worth the time spent. Pure magic. I can't really use it when playing with the guys because of volume, but solo I love it.

I'd post the settings, but I'm floating around out at sea and missing my Mesa.

What do you mean you can't use it with the guys because of volume?

Do you mean you don't have enough volume or it is too loud?

Just curious!

peace
jj

I should have said there is not enough headroom to get the sound I want at the volume needed against two other amps and drums.

When playing without drums it works out great.

thirstypirate said:
I should have said there is not enough headroom to get the sound I want at the volume needed against two other amps and drums.

That is not good.......I just bought a LSS yesterday. Although 90% of my gigs the amp will be miked. Do you think I should take it back and get the 100W one?

jjboogie said:
thirstypirate said:

That is not good.......I just bought a LSS yesterday. Although 90% of my gigs the amp will be miked. Do you think I should take it back and get the 100W one?

I thought thirstypirate was talking about the 10W mode on the LSC, not the amp at full power. A lot of people on this board find the 30W mode (full power) of the LSS has plenty of headroom for gigging. (Though of course a few that want a lot of clean headroom do not.)

simonich said:
jjboogie said:
thirstypirate said:

I thought thirstypirate was talking about the 10W mode on the LSC, not the amp at full power. A lot of people on this board find the 30W mode (full power) of the LSS has plenty of headroom for gigging. (Though of course a few that want a lot of clean headroom do not.)

I have done plenty of Gigs with a Deluxe Reverb which is 30 watts I believe but they were miked......

I did one gig with a Hot Rod Deville without being miked and the bandleader kept telling me to turn it up......By the end of the gig my amp was on 6 or 7 which is really loud for a 60 watt amp!

jjboogie said:
thirstypirate said:

You should based your decision on LSC or LSS on tone and not on volume. Having said that, at gigs at set my LSS to 35W and it's plenty loud. I always miked the amp not for volume but to have it blend nicely in the band mix, unless I play at a tiny backroom of a small bar. We're talking about headroom when playing clean, but most of my stuffs are light OD to heavy OD and I hardly have the need to play clean extremely loud (no Michael Bolton here :lol: ). When driven, the amp is very loud. Most people make the mistake of leaving the amp on the floor so it points at the feet. Try to point it to your ears' level by putting it on an amp stand and your ears will bleed if you crank it.
Didn't the Beatles play Ed Sullivan w/ 30W vox ac30, perhaps at Shea Stadium too ?

ja22y said:
jjboogie said:
thirstypirate said:

You should based your decision on LSC or LSS on tone and not on volume. Having said that, at gigs at set my LSS to 35W and it's plenty loud. I always miked the amp not for volume but to have it blend nicely in the band mix, unless I play at a tiny backroom of a small bar. We're talking about headroom when playing clean, but most of my stuffs are light OD to heavy OD and I hardly have the need to play clean extremely loud (no Michael Bolton here :lol: ). When driven, the amp is very loud. Most people make the mistake of leaving the amp on the floor so it points at the feet. Try to point it to your ears' level by putting it on an amp stand and your ears will bleed if you crank it.
Didn't the Beatles play Ed Sullivan w/ 30W vox ac30, perhaps at Shea Stadium too ?

You are right.......When I tried out the LSS I was not worried about volume....The tone is what sold me......I only started worrying about volume after I bought it.....Don't know why when I have done so many gigs with a Deluxe Reverb and did not have volume issues.

Great advice though about raising the amp....Although I do kind of like the feel of the amp on the floor....It would take some getting used to.

Hey wait a minute! You are Michael Bolton's guitar player aren't you? I thought I recognized you!!!! :lol:

I have an LSC head and 2X12 cabinet and only play in my basement. I use the 10 mode exclusively and it does a terrific job at giving me the 6L6 punch and tight bass at very low volume ... much better than my Twin did.

I started with a Bandmaster in 1962, play mostly clean, prefer the blackface sound ... and the LSC delivers.

simonich said:

I was only talking about the LSC 10W mode set clean. I've only played around with the LSS in a store so I can't speak for it's abilities in a real situation, but the tone was killer for sure.

Latest posts

Back