The Ace has arrived! *w/ highgain clips*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plat,did you get your switching pedal yet?
When I had the Trident and D.R. a/b'd together,it was a **** good match,but alot to haul around.(wait,now I have a 12 space boogie rack that weighs as much as 2 small elephants...lol)

Anyway,I think you'll dig the two amps together. Keep us informed.

SoCalSteve said:
Barry said:
Platypus said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just got it home, pics to come in a few after I stop laughing. I played the two side by side (for those of you who didn't know, was regretting getting the 2x12 over the 1x12) and honestly there was a difference... but it was subtle as hell. It wasn't nearly as drastic as the stuff I'd read and honestly, I think it sounded BETTER.. way more wallop to the notes.

So stoked right now.. pics within the hour!

Glad you like the Ace . Remember i said not to read too much into what others have said . Its only opinions . Trust your ears ! Everyone runs down the Stiletto Deuce series I but i get a great sound out of it . I only use crunch in channel 1 and tite gain in channel 2 . I dont really give hoot what people say about it as long as I can get what i'm after . Go to my web page at www.toyzzband.com and click on feel like makin love and doctor doctor and let me know what you think . If you dont care for it it wont hurt my feelings .

Great tone there, Barry! I think alot of people try out Mesa stuff without knowing how the various settings interact with each other and don't give 'em a fair chance.

Thanks for the compliment Steve . Glad you approve .

Howitzer said:
Thanks;

Anyway you could post some clips on the fluid drive mode, doing some galloping and chunking riffs? Think master of puppets metallica? Thanks for posting this, im much more interested in this amp now, as the stilleto Duece didnt do it for me at all!

Cheers

Sure, I'll try to do that today or tomorrow for you.

I've been watching this thead with a lot of interest. I'm about to buy a new amp and keep going back and forth between the Ace and the Roadster. I've decided that either way I'm going with the head version and an Avatar 2x12 cab. Depending on the amp either a Hellatone 30 and 60L with the Ace or a 60 and 60L with the Roadster.

The clips that I've heard have pretty much sold me on the Ace. (Thanks Platy and Barry) Barry, really nice tone by the way. Tonally the Ace will cover everything I want.

I keep wondering if I should go for the Roadster simply for the additional channels and the reverb... I'd hate to buy the Ace and then regret not getting the Roadster later.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
fred

fsmith said:
I've been watching this thead with a lot of interest. I'm about to buy a new amp and keep going back and forth between the Ace and the Roadster. I've decided that either way I'm going with the head version and an Avatar 2x12 cab. Depending on the amp either a Hellatone 30 and 60L with the Ace or a 60 and 60L with the Roadster.

The clips that I've heard have pretty much sold me on the Ace. (Thanks Platy and Barry) Barry, really nice tone by the way. Tonally the Ace will cover everything I want.

I keep wondering if I should go for the Roadster simply for the additional channels and the reverb... I'd hate to buy the Ace and then regret not getting the Roadster later.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
fred

Tough decisions. Here are my thoughts. I had a Roadster 2X12, it was/is an awesome amp, many likeable tones and yes reverb to boot. I found it a bit heavy to lug to band practice but this shouldn't be a problem if you get the head/cab. I now have an Ace 1X12, I also have a recto 2X12 cab to add to it when my heart desires. What I like about the Ace is that it has that cutting midrange punch that doesn't require a lot of volume to be heard in a mix. The Ace also gives very distict tonal qualities between a single coil and a humbucker. I have found that I am using less gain in my playing since getting the Ace. I only miss the reverb when playing alone.

The Roadster was all recto (which is a good thing!) If I wanted to crank a Godsmack tune with my Les Paul then this amp could rattle the foundation
and I really loved the 2nd and 3rd channels. As I re-read what I just wrote I don't think I have helped you at all :-(

I guess my point is that the Ace has inspired me a bit more than the Roadster did. Even though it is only two channels it seems to have more possibilities across the wide spectrum.

BTW..how are you guys recording your clips to post on this site??

Goodluck,
Jeff

Finn, you're right about the inspiration part.. maybe it's because it is a new piece of gear but I've been cranking out new stuff a lot more frequently with the ace... it's one of those things where you set the controls once and just turn on and play so I think that helps out too.

As far as recording, I'm using my ghetto old digital cam which is why the tone sounds all jacked, it cuts out a lot of the tone.

It's a tough call.. I'm getting some pretty rectoish tones out of my Ace at way less output levels and honestly there is so much sustain and tone that I don't even miss reverb on the amp, it isn't needed. Personally, I think a lot of times reverb is used to cover up a less than stellar clean tone to give it some breath and you really just don't need it with the Ace.

The Roadster is cool too, lots of versatility there but to my ears I don't think the tone is even close to the Ace, it's def aggressive and wall shaking but once you plug into the Ace you'll forget all about it.

Go play them both and pick what works the best for you. Just a general tip, when you try out the Ace, be sure to use different volume levels on your guitar for even more tonal options.

Platypus, Whats Up? Dude enjoyed your clips with the Ace.That tone is bitchin...I played a 2x12@ the music store and was so into it I didnt want to leave.I didnt even care what I was playing; it was just flowing..My question for you is--have you heard the head??? I'm debating on the head or combo.I already have a roadster with a stilleto 4x12 and I'm thinking of the head maybe.Then I can run one of those Radial head switchers.There's no changing of tubes, speakers, or any pedal that can create the ton of that beast !!! Dude I loved the clean tone on that sucker . I could seriuosly feel that this amp is IDEAL for writing songs.Thanks dude for the killer clips, I also dug your Pumpkins/pedal demo---hit the hammer on the head!! Rock on brother!!

cant play pool with a rop said:
Platypus, Whats Up? Dude enjoyed your clips with the Ace.That tone is bitchin...I played a 2x12@ the music store and was so into it I didnt want to leave.I didnt even care what I was playing; it was just flowing..My question for you is--have you heard the head??? I'm debating on the head or combo.I already have a roadster with a stilleto 4x12 and I'm thinking of the head maybe.Then I can run one of those Radial head switchers.There's no changing of tubes, speakers, or any pedal that can create the ton of that beast !!! Dude I loved the clean tone on that sucker . I could seriuosly feel that this amp is IDEAL for writing songs.Thanks dude for the killer clips, I also dug your Pumpkins/pedal demo---hit the hammer on the head!! Rock on brother!!

Thanks 8)

No, unfortunately I have not played the head but I have heard clips of it a few times and it sounds relatively the same. I like the sound of combos for some reason.. learned playing fender amps so I'm partial to that 3D clean sound.

I would play both and see which one speaks to you the most, I knew right away when I played the combo that I had to have one, I love the way the cabinet moves and reacts, it adds a cool element to the sound. There's also something about a 2x12 combo that just has to be heard, you felt it when you demoed the amp.

There are some users on this board who have the head, maybe they can chime in with some clips for you.

Good luck, either way it will be an awesome choice.

I have an Ace head. I like having a head vs combo because this way I tailor the sound a bit more by choosing what cab or speakers I want. granted, you can do this with the combo as well, for traveling and loading purposes, it would be simpler. Right now i'm running a 2x12 cab with a v30 and a g12h30, but I'm looking to get a 4x12 with greenbacks :p

cant play pool with a rop said:

Thats exactly what i use with my Stiletto and RK . The radial headbone . Very nice unit .

inkwachemis said:
I have an Ace head. I like having a head vs combo because this way I tailor the sound a bit more by choosing what cab or speakers I want. granted, you can do this with the combo as well, for traveling and loading purposes, it would be simpler. Right now i'm running a 2x12 cab with a v30 and a g12h30, but I'm looking to get a 4x12 with greenbacks :p

If you get a 4X12 , you'll never go back ! They are magical .

I like how Bob @ Eurotubes refers to combos as tube "torture chambers". That's probably true to some degree, but tons of great music has been made with combos. Also, doesn't the Ace have a separation baffle between the amp and speaker sections?

Barry said:
inkwachemis said:

If you get a 4X12 , you'll never go back ! They are magical .

haha, yea, after so much delay, i finally decided to screw it and go full size, I'll suffer luggin that around, but good tone is worth it 8)

I just got done messing around with some sounds on my Ace. I have the head, and use a 412 cab for dry sound and two 112 cabs, dual mono, for rack effects, mostly light reverb.

I can't get over the versatility of Blue Crunch! - that's the Crunch mode on the Clean channel. I've got the Bass and Mids at 11:00, Treble and Gain at 1:00. With a bridge humbucker up all the way (using my SG today), it's AC/DC heaven! All the sounds of High Voltage through Powerage are in there. Up the gain to 2:00 and it's peferct for Highway to Hell.

Same amp settings, but neck pickup and my Frantone The Sweet fuzz pedal dialed in moderately. Cream's "SWLABR" tone! Flipped over to the bridge pickup again. and I started jammin' on Neal Young's "Rockin' In the Free World."

cvansickle said:
I just got done messing around with some sounds on my Ace. I have the head, and use a 412 cab for dry sound and two 112 cabs, dual mono, for rack effects, mostly light reverb.

I can't get over the versatility of Blue Crunch! - that's the Crunch mode on the Clean channel. I've got the Bass and Mids at 11:00, Treble and Gain at 1:00. With a bridge humbucker up all the way (using my SG today), it's AC/DC heaven! All the sounds of High Voltage through Powerage are in there. Up the gain to 2:00 and it's peferct for Highway to Hell.

Same amp settings, but neck pickup and my Frantone The Sweet fuzz pedal dialed in moderately. Cream's "SWLABR" tone! Flipped over to the bridge pickup again. and I started jammin' on Neal Young's "Rockin' In the Free World."

I love my blue crunch mode, especially with fuzz pedals for an amp about to blow sound, it's even better on tite clean with fuzz and this new Zvex pedal I got called the Machine is awesome on red fluid.

Les Paul into blue crunch directly with gain around 2 is heaven, especially with low volume settings on the guitar.

I played the Ace at a local store (which by the way has been in that store forever) and it wasn't any better/worse than the Stiletto Trident Series 1 which I own. But, the combo packaging is very enticing! Stiletto is one fierce amp.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

I just went to GC to pick up power tubes for the MARK. I walked in, and first thing in front of me, is the Stilleto Ace head, sitting atop a standard recto Cabinet. Needless to say, I have just spend two hours aquainting myself with the amp.

My impressions (I play Mostly thrash in my music, but am a huge classic rock, Blues, Jazz, Punk, Van halen and Ozzy Osbourne fan.)

Fat clean channel: I am utterly speachless. I was playing through a les-paul studio, with burstbuckers from what I could tell. with either, or both pickup:

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CLEAN CHANNEL I HAVE EVER HEARD.

with the tube rectifier engaged, each note sounded so beatiful, I have no words to describe it. This alone makes me want to buy the amp. I was quickly shooting beetween classic rock balads, Jazz standards, clean blues soloing, etc.

Crunch engaged (either channel): I felt like i was playing a cranked plexi, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, And ACDC were available in spades - It nailed the tone for me, and without much tweaking. The feedback, harmonics, and pure sound of each note in a chord, Blew Me away.

Tite Gain: This is the channel I ended up deciding was best for my tight, thrash riffs. While the gain is no where near what the Mark IV can achieve on this channel, it was more than enough, Pinch harmonics, and artificials (a la "drop dead legs" by VH) were simply amazing. the bass was tight and articulate. When pushing the mids, lead tones for classic blues soloing, or classic rock soloing were easily achievable. This channel REALLY reminds me of a JCM 800 pushed HARD, But the eq is MUCH more responsive, and I just felt more productive in this channel than I had with a JCM 800 I had tried in the past. I cannot imagine what this channel would sound like Pushed by a tubescreamer, or a clean boost.

Fluid Drive: I was instantly Transported into solo mode. Shredding flew out of my fingers immediately and effortlessly, every note was clear, shining, and again just beatiful. The bass is not very tight in this mode, but on either pickup, the solo /single note tones are just unbelievable. On the neck PUP with the tone rolled back, I had nailed the Guns N roses' Sweet child o' mine tone with scary authenticity. People stopped and started asking me what the amp was when i broke into the intro, and solo bits of that song.

All In all, this amp blew me out of the water. I really want one now! This amp is probably the only amp I have experienced that could rival my mark IV tone wise (in current production), Obviously they are different amps, for different uses, but i felt the tones were on par with what my Mark IV can do in its environment.

Im really impressed Mesa put this together, i had faith in the company before, but I am a fan for life, after just a few hours with this amp!

Lastly - I didnt mean to thread Hijack, I just felt this was the best current thread to post this in!

Plat, you are insanely lucky, and Congratulations for buying this, Dont think twice, and never sell it!

Glad you liked it Howitzer, I'm still blown away by this amp. I'm making a new round of clips here today probably since I took the day off work (snow :p)

I am trying to capture how touch-sensitive it is.. with my LP into the fat clean mode in channel 1 with low volume on the bridge pickup it's like plexi-land to the max. So beautiful.

Thats one of the amazing things, like i said, playing the intro to Drop dead legs (tapping an octave above was simply jumping off the fretboard, the trailing into feedbnack was amazing, and pinch harmonics were popping off even in just the crunch mode without much gain. Response to the tone knob is insane also!

Thanks for posting the original clips, youve opened a new door for me! im going to the tattoo parlor to get the mesa logo engraved on my forehead right now!

Latest posts

Back