The Ace has arrived! *w/ highgain clips*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibanez4life SZ! said:
How does the Ace compare to an EL-34 Recto?

Night and day dude.. the recto is def more modern sounding.. my friend who doesn't play guitar but always listens to my **** said it was 100% better than the recto in his opinion.

I think each has their place but I'm def going to put 6L6's back in the Recto and use it for crushing metal at this point, I have my EL34 base covered way beyond what the Recto could do.

cvansickle said:
Platypus said:
the front layout is different than what's in the manual :D
The manual is written using pictures to match the head.

Congrats, Platy! Welcome to the Aces!

Thanks.. I'll be honest, I was a bit worried when I read what you thought of the 2x12 but I actually like it a lot, it's equal or better in my opinion of the 1x12 that I played 3 times. Back to back it was very subtle but the 2x12 had more wallop and felt smoother for some reason to me.

To each their own, that's why they make 3 different versions :)

No matter what you pick, the Ace is a beast, I love it.

G.I.G. said:
Looks sweet Platy! Congrats!!!

Are you going to A/B your Ace and your recto? Nice setup by the way!

Yes, I plan on doing that as soon as the holidays and everything are over, I want to get a Liehle Dual pedal for it.

Off topic, I'm finding all kinds of really awesome plexi tones and dare I say blackface like ones too? With the Paul straight in on the first channel in Crunch Mode with a low gain setting, it's so ridiculousy touch sensitive that you can get the great Paul clean/jazz tone and then just play a bit harder or give the volume a slight nudge and you get these great semi-hairy notes just bleeding with sustain and it's a really percussive sound too like my old fenders

I'm so impressed with this amp, it brings a silly grin every single time I play it.

tele_jas said:
WOW, that's pretty!!!

How are the cleans?? Or is it just made to rock??

They're too good to be from an EL34 amp.. it doesn't make sense. I can hear some Mark I tones in the first channel too. I'll get some clips of clean for sure, the fat clean mode is so good.. made for great fat chords or fluid single note runs.

Platypus said:
tele_jas said:
WOW, that's pretty!!!

They're too good to be from an EL34 amp.. it doesn't make sense. I can hear some Mark I tones in the first channel too. I'll get some clips of clean for sure, the fat clean mode is so good.. made for great fat chords or fluid single note runs.

I'm loving the Fat clean mode as well, it sounds great with the Tele using the neck pick-up and then just switching to the bridge pick-up makes it sound like a completely different animal.

congratulations!

did you check the tubes already? i had some probs with mine in the beginning, the middle preamp one was nearly dead. you could only hear this by comparing to the same amp.

which serial numbers do you own? i got the st-02410 and st-02411 both 2x12"

regards
dean

Finnster said:
Platypus said:
tele_jas said:
WOW, that's pretty!!!

I'm loving the Fat clean mode as well, it sounds great with the Tele using the neck pick-up and then just switching to the bridge pick-up makes it sound like a completely different animal.

Exactly! On my les paul it's like each switch actually does something totally different instead of being subtle like before.

I'm still lovin this amp, unfortunately I gotta drive forever today for the turkey thing so I can't spend any time with it today :(

I found some pretty sweet tones already with this pup... it makes my entire house rattle lol

:?

First the awesome clips posted of a series once duece...

Now an awesome review of an Ace...

You guys are really pushing me into getting a stiletto...maybe even over my recto :shock:

Here is my Ace with its new friend...a 2X12 cab. Does this mean my Ace is
a 3X12 8)

mesa.jpg

Platypus said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just got it home, pics to come in a few after I stop laughing. I played the two side by side (for those of you who didn't know, was regretting getting the 2x12 over the 1x12) and honestly there was a difference... but it was subtle as hell. It wasn't nearly as drastic as the stuff I'd read and honestly, I think it sounded BETTER.. way more wallop to the notes.

So stoked right now.. pics within the hour!

Glad it worked out for you, looks like a bad *** amp.

@ finnster

on the pic the ace's speaker seems to be on the left side, is that true? thought it should be in the middle of the grill. anyway, the rack looks awsome.

does mesa offer also 2x12" closed cabs with the same size as the ace?

play it!

dean

Finn, curious as well.. I would have thought the 1x12 would be center mounted in the 1x12 but you can clearly see two holes cut.. if that's all that's different than I can always just yank one out but I love the way it sounds the way it is.

Sweet extension btw

This pic shows it in the middle...I wonder if the flash in the earlier pic gave an illusion of some sort. I wonder if there is a bass port as well..I will investigate further:

DSC00176.jpg

Ah cool, yeah that's weird I can still see the two holes sort of in that new pic and the center one.

Ah well, either way they both fvcking rule :D

Post some clips when you get a chance finn, curious how the extension sounds with it!

congrats mate

i just got a stiletto ace head this week, unfortunatley i haven't got a cabinet for it yet. im getting a 2x12 custom built with Weber Silver Bell speakers. they're an amzing amplifier.

here a pic.
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p115/bigdan19/?action=view&current=2e1502ba.jpg

bigdan19 said:
congrats mate

i just got a stiletto ace head this week, unfortunatley i haven't got a cabinet for it yet. im getting a 2x12 custom built with Weber Silver Bell speakers. they're an amzing amplifier.

here a pic.
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p115/bigdan19/?action=view&current=2e1502ba.jpg

Nice, the head looks sweet in green!

Latest posts

Back