Stiletto Vs. LoneStar...what will suit me best ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirJackdeFuzz

Reaction score
Guys, i do believe one of these two amps might have what i need !

So i am asking the Boogie Experts, who either own/ed these amps or play these genre's of music or have good experience with all things Mesa !

I need an amp for Classic Rock, but think more in the line of early-Sabbath, that slow and doomy riffing era, and also Stoner Rock, think Fu Manchu and the like !
(i'll add a fuzz box of my choice)

The Stiletto is a Britt voiced EL34 amp so it is a natural choice, i'll admit, but i was also told that i have to look into the LoneStar as it is a very underrated amp for Sabbath-like slow and doomy riffage.
I was also told it has the vol. in spades, and the gain will get me there, if i crank the bass, and roll off some treb.
Some nutter said the LoneStar can sound like early 70's Oranges, mmmmm...now that did get my attention !

It makes sence as i am looking for a low-mid gain amp !
Modern voiced hi-gain stuff is NOT for me !

I'll be greatfull for any feedback.

Many Thanx to ALL
:wink:

SirJackdeFuzz said:
Guys, i do believe one of these two amps might have what i need !

So i am asking the Boogie Experts, who either own/ed these amps or play these genre's of music or have good experience with all things Mesa !

I need an amp for Classic Rock, but think more in the line of early-Sabbath, that slow and doomy riffing era, and also Stoner Rock, think Fu Manchu and the like !
(i'll add a fuzz box of my choice)

The Stiletto is a Britt voiced EL34 amp so it is a natural choice, i'll admit, but i was also told that i have to look into the LoneStar as it is a very underrated amp for Sabbath-like slow and doomy riffage.
I was also told it has the vol. in spades, and the gain will get me there, if i crank the bass, and roll off some treb.
Some nutter said the LoneStar can sound like early 70's Oranges, mmmmm...now that did get my attention !

It makes sence as i am looking for a low-mid gain amp !
Modern voiced hi-gain stuff is NOT for me !

I'll be greatfull for any feedback.

Many Thanx to ALL

I own the Stilleto Deuce II with a 4x12, and while looking for a combo spent many hours with both Lone stars - For Sabbath and any old Orange/Marshall/Hiwatt type sound - I would no question stick with the Stiletto...my Deuce with NOS '60's Mullards, Les Paul with the volume as your distortion guide, can nail anything from the first two albums of Sabbath in the channel I crunch mode. When you get to Masters and Volume IV - you'll need a little more drive. Either LS I think would be more Fendery than Marshall for your music..I think

The other thing to throw into the mix is the reliability of the LS vs the Stilletos - it appears there have been some real issues with the LS whether tubes or other...Good luck! Hope this helps...

Tim

Thank you very much mate !

I s'pose there is a bad bunch of Lonestars out there now ???
How did that happen ? ...& how long is this going on now ?
Boogie has a QC-ishooo ??? WOW . . .

Again, thatnk you so much for the feedback !

Yes, the reliabilty issue is with lonestar specials, not the Lonestar Classic, wich does a kick *** black sabbath tone. Plus you have the veritility afforded by the LSC to swith from 6l6 to el34 tubes. I would play them both. I like the stelleto marshal sounds, but I went with the LSC due to the kick *** cleans and slightly dirty sounds. Took me about 6 months to dial in kick *** sounds on chn 2, but I can nail the "dark" sabbath sound now.

zappaslaughter said:
Yes, the reliabilty issue is with lonestar specials, not the Lonestar Classic, wich does a kick *** black sabbath tone. Plus you have the veritility afforded by the LSC to swith from 6l6 to el34 tubes. I would play them both. I like the stelleto marshal sounds, but I went with the LSC due to the kick *** cleans and slightly dirty sounds. Took me about 6 months to dial in kick *** sounds on chn 2, but I can nail the "dark" sabbath sound now.

That sounds fantastic - thanx for the info !
So the Classic can get "dark" enough ! I was affraid that it has too much of a Fender'ish crispness to it.

Do you have any clips to listen too by any chance ?

Again, thanx for the info !

I had my LSC head at church today (It's my main church rig) and had it loaded with 6V6's and my buddy Mike (old school rocker with gobs of talent) was blown away by my ability to absolutely nail the old AC-DC tones.

I use 6L6's most of the time but I have various other tubes laying around such as EL-34's and 6V6's. Each set give you something different from the amp. I also play through either a closed back cab or an open back depending on the venue.

For example... Tomorrow I need the LS to sound a bit more modern and punchy so I swapped in my 6L6's but I'm going to use my little Mesa open back 212 because the place I'm playing at tomorrow night has a little bitty stage and as such the open back really fills the stage with sound without having to be stupid loud.

At church I have lots more room to play with so I use my closed back cab and place the cab clear at the back of the stage up against the curtain facing back so I'm relying on the monitors a bit more, but I can really let the amp breathe and get all that thump and killer dynamics you only get from loud tube amps.

Speaker wise I'm running a mix of 1 V30 and 1 C90 in each of my cabs, but I've got a set of WGS CL80 clones to try so we'll see.

There's killer old rock/metal tones to be had in the LSC channel 2. I use mine in a MIDI switchable setup that includes a G-Major in the loop and an Axess Electronics GRX4 in front with whatever pedals I feel like running.

I rely almost exclusively on the amp for dirty sounds and use the pedals for character. A modded SD-1 provides a bit of boost and compression for my main lead sound, but it's set almost like a clean boost.

I have only a Ground Control Pro out on stage... Everything else is in my 6 space rack which my head sits on top of.

What a GREAT review MadRyan . . .

. . . I did not even know the amp can take diff tubes !

Does the 6V6's bring the wattage/vol down a bit ? Compared to those big 6L6's ?

What a GREAT option to have in an amp, 6L6 / EL34 / 6V6 - FANTASTIC !

Question : do you have to re-bias everytime you swap them out ?
Or is it swap out and play ?

Thanx for the info !
;)

SirJackdeFuzz said:

Thanx for the info !
;)

The 6V6's cut the wattage in half. Boogie says to run the amp on the 100w setting and keep the toggle switch on the back set for 6L6 and then run it on "tweed" to keep the tubes happy. It's a really cool different sound. The 6V6's definitely have more of a vintage Marshall vibe... I'm talking the old, old Marshalls that were essentially Fender architecture. Think the little handwired combo's and whatnot. It's not really a Plexi sound. Great for blues and old school rock tones.

As far as biasing, you just get tubes that are the proper rating and they're plug and play. Just switch the selector on the back to the appropriate tube type. I get my tubes from Doug at Dougs Tubes so he sends me what I need.

madryan said:
SirJackdeFuzz said:

Thanx for the info !
;)

The 6V6's cut the wattage in half. Boogie says to run the amp on the 100w setting and keep the toggle switch on the back set for 6L6 and then run it on "tweed" to keep the tubes happy. It's a really cool different sound. The 6V6's definitely have more of a vintage Marshall vibe... I'm talking the old, old Marshalls that were essentially Fender architecture. Think the little handwired combo's and whatnot. It's not really a Plexi sound. Great for blues and old school rock tones.

As far as biasing, you just get tubes that are the proper rating and they're plug and play. Just switch the selector on the back to the appropriate tube type. I get my tubes from Doug at Dougs Tubes so he sends me what I need.

Man, this is not going to be easy !

Lonestar vs, Stiletto . . .

What to do, what to do !???

So if i drop a set of 6V6's in, it half the power from 100 to 50W's.
If i flick the "half power" toggle w. the 6V6's in it, will it then go from 50W down to +/- 25W ???

Oh, and i love those early JTM45 (modded Bassman, as we all know) tone !

your mission is to determine whether you are going to be happy with one certain "era" of sound, or if you really want a "Master of tone" that gets many different sounds.

if you can dial that certain tone you want with any amp - that's the amp for you. if, like me, you need a LOT of different tones ... LSC.

rvschulz said:
your mission is to determine whether you are going to be happy with one certain "era" of sound, or if you really want a "Master of tone" that gets many different sounds.

if you can dial that certain tone you want with any amp - that's the amp for you. if, like me, you need a LOT of different tones ... LSC.

Mmmmm . . .

. . . there is a lot of thruth in your statement !

Nomad said:
Will the Stiletto Ace take 6V6's?

I really like them JJ 6V6's! 8)

I don't believe it will, though there might be a THD Yellowjacket for this... Stilettos are fixed bias ("Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance
Free Performance"), use EL-34s, and do not have a bias switch like the LSCs do.

djw said:
Nomad said:
Will the Stiletto Ace take 6V6's?

I really like them JJ 6V6's! 8)

I don't believe it will, though there might be a THD Yellowjacket for this... Stilettos are fixed bias ("Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance
Free Performance"), use EL-34s, and do not have a bias switch like the LSCs do.

That is what thought too !

Get the one you like... They are both great but very different amps. Then pick the one you don't get up used in a few years. I think having both is the way to go.

srf399 said:
Get the one you like... They are both great but very different amps. Then pick the one you don't get up used in a few years. I think having both is the way to go.

THAT is the best idea yet !

I just do not know if i will be able to afford ANOTHER Boogie say 4-5 years down the line :cry:
I am looking into one NOW, as i have the money for ONE right now, and want to spend it on an amp that will out-last me.
Busy doing a gear up-grade you see. First time since i started playing seriously, in about 2000.
5 years down the line, w. wife/kid(s) don't know if a second (even used) Stiletto or LSC will be within my budget !?

You're going to have GAS either way. If you prefer Fenders get the the Lone Star... if you're into Marshalls get the Stiletto. Both the Lone Star and the Stiletto over lap a bit... ie Lone Star...Marshall and Stiletto Fender. Maybe get a Lonestar now and an used Marshall head later.

and dont forget the LSC can use yellow jacket EL84's too.
so this means you can use:
6l6's for high head room fender tones.....twin reverb
6v6's for low wattage fender tones.....delux reverb
EL34's for Marshall like tones........Plexi with the "thick" switch engaged!
El84's for the sweet Vox like chimey tones.

Beat that Stilleto!!!!

I am using the EL34's and just love it for Aerosmith, zztop, classic rock type tones......it screams!!

Latest posts

Back