What Mesa has the best cleans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the Heartbreaker. And my brand new Mark V 35 has wonderful cleans as well.
King Snake and Mk 1 have good cleans. The cleans on my TC-50 are good, but not as good as those mentioned, to my ear. (For me the benchmark is blackface Twin)

No idea about "best" cleans, but my DC5 widebody combo with the EVL12 has a beautiful clean tone, and massive sounding should you need serious volume.

Edward

MkIIA, Electra-Dyne and Lone Star Classic all have a place.

I've owned pretty much everything that Mesa made up until the early 2000s (last amp I bought was a Road King I) and these are the ones whose cleans have kept on working for me. The LSC was a loaner, an exceptional amp that I could never get my buddy to sell. Now it's gone, I really should try to get one for myself....

My main cleans these days are Two Rock, but I still supplement them with big Zinky-era Fenders, MkIIA and ED.

After all the hype (justifiable!) regarding the Lone Star cleans, didn't Mesa put that same clean circuit in other models? I seem to recall the Road King II had the same clean circuit.

I have a TC-50, Electra Dyne, JP2C and Badlander 25. Used to have a Mark V 90 and Road King I. I REALLY liked the Tweed mode on the V. But I am thrilled with the cleans on the remaining Boogies I still have. For me, I find them all very similar. With the same guitar and some tweaking, in the end they all sound like me. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I like them all.

After all the hype (justifiable!) regarding the Lone Star cleans, didn't Mesa put that same clean circuit in other models? I seem to recall the Road King II had the same clean circuit.

I have a TC-50, Electra Dyne, JP2C and Badlander 25. Used to have a Mark V 90 and Road King I. I REALLY liked the Tweed mode on the V. But I am thrilled with the cleans on the remaining Boogies I still have. For me, I find them all very similar. With the same guitar and some tweaking, in the end they all sound like me. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I like them all.
I think you're right about the Lone Star clean circuit finding it's way into other Mesa amps. I believe the FAT clean on the Mark V is one example.

I don't know which Mesa has the best but I do know that this Express 550 got me to give up my Twin.

AMWts8DZrMHylBg5ybIjOrIJfwqbZfrlUyzTfwx04P_YIk1a8WZAnzJhBLBIKYbKEdMaI9nV2puovDTl8ezsge-Gf1xDUuXj8rfc5W1gcrnfpOR-qAEBKCtMrNVnUteMTHKGo_FBtCYIo1E7-j7Y2wBNhpNK4wxEz9Jcpec5jkQc6lJ1633_XCOVFOSu8nAiRvFpjyU9KmJtj5qkmAsG4Tun58WucvyE-5HyWZE3gIEaPkJ9-vCV-un2M6_T2TCPYLM1rxrn5FmYBr7mbuUxDbR914ZgkxRinMqiVCPFpFGapYr7u2sFY13i5ICVhvGJdU9vSsHsn85-XRbkF2UuKpPgSgRg0T2sZDXrMiwmsb5sVMyBWbT0XF4jyINCRMlSB47oewe_cAJaxkjmIokwHmrUrYV21j_lJX_SULic_9W8mmmIspHxWYbgrJGFOYsaDqjw777GcJcY1rCTZlPSA6iKPihhpB57HYaWc3SuuGSmwNXKj9mKWjGKakUwRr34pEhPkkqHkqlvDbAVz1Ia2502B-XQJQUWiFM0M4rKcPwBHL35pcbsMu0hYQLXFWzFuAeCFOQHkYCwErL3L9QQUWM0i2YTG5Cvz_pqkZWJ5qFle6E3GB9PCPgLvLioMm5Q19deM_TKCMNzb3QOZy7yM5dRGaH8U4IaIzD5Tr5z01KAbkZvQ74jJ4j2pxLxniLsmqXnUmWPPCCsQPodKop7NbGxDimoHh5TTmSYwjmfJj75tYUrFBijBRUE3eZFcMNW_DcPCWAji66JIUDqM1C2VnPnJ69fjdF91UAsv9MMwlfB3NP4LCx5fN5INfcMMCQFJzDDckkhL8jmNpvOpmXIDeAJl6a3SRs2XMczigtLwmEgjDYiyCK_Fq2q7_jYzt5f5maK1TlrNseeHcFTk2ODUxM39lt_=w640-h340-s-no

I have a Mk II C+ modded DRGX, a Mk V 90 combo, Mk V 25 combo, and my favorite Mesa clean is an Electra Dyne wide combo I bought used w an Eminence Texas Heat. Shimmery like a Fender but w more honey. I love the cleans on the other amps but the ED has a magic the others don't.
I have an Electra Dyne and find it has a great clean. I agree with your assessment.

I can think of four amps in my collection that have an amazing clean channel when you dial it in for basic clean tones. In my books the two winners would be the Badlander 100, and the JP2C. Excellent sound with bold piano like lows and amazing note definition. Very pleasing sound. What is not far behind are two amps that share the same DNA, Royal Atlantic and Triple Crown. Note that the BAD, RA, and TC have the best clean tone with the EL34 power tubes. Roadster and the MWDR also have decent clean channels. If you are looking for more of a clean amp, as others say the LoneStar is the way to go. I never played through one so I cannot comment. I did play through an ElectraDyne, thought that amp had amazing clean sound, probably one of the best I have heard. Then there is the Fillmore.

What Mesa has the best clean sound for blues? At least that question would help to narrow down the list. I do not have any Mesa amps that have a crappy clean channel. However, some clean channels may have better characteristics for blues vs country. Then again, perhaps the Rosette 300 would be the way to go as it is meant for acoustic guitars.

I like the lonestar cleans. great feel. The Roadster cleans are never talked about. Supposed to be the lonestar circuit. Still a beautiful clean tone

The Mark IV with 6v6 tubes in Tweed mode, is very close to a Fender Bassman sound.

Underrated cleans on my Single Rectifiers ( Solo & Rectoverb). Very nice BF sparkle. Sounds fantastic through my V30 412. And of course of my Simulclass Mark IIIs.

I don't know which Mesa has the best but I do know that this Express 550 got me to give up my Twin.
AMWts8DZrMHylBg5ybIjOrIJfwqbZfrlUyzTfwx04P_YIk1a8WZAnzJhBLBIKYbKEdMaI9nV2puovDTl8ezsge-Gf1xDUuXj8rfc5W1gcrnfpOR-qAEBKCtMrNVnUteMTHKGo_FBtCYIo1E7-j7Y2wBNhpNK4wxEz9Jcpec5jkQc6lJ1633_XCOVFOSu8nAiRvFpjyU9KmJtj5qkmAsG4Tun58WucvyE-5HyWZE3gIEaPkJ9-vCV-un2M6_T2TCPYLM1rxrn5FmYBr7mbuUxDbR914ZgkxRinMqiVCPFpFGapYr7u2sFY13i5ICVhvGJdU9vSsHsn85-XRbkF2UuKpPgSgRg0T2sZDXrMiwmsb5sVMyBWbT0XF4jyINCRMlSB47oewe_cAJaxkjmIokwHmrUrYV21j_lJX_SULic_9W8mmmIspHxWYbgrJGFOYsaDqjw777GcJcY1rCTZlPSA6iKPihhpB57HYaWc3SuuGSmwNXKj9mKWjGKakUwRr34pEhPkkqHkqlvDbAVz1Ia2502B-XQJQUWiFM0M4rKcPwBHL35pcbsMu0hYQLXFWzFuAeCFOQHkYCwErL3L9QQUWM0i2YTG5Cvz_pqkZWJ5qFle6E3GB9PCPgLvLioMm5Q19deM_TKCMNzb3QOZy7yM5dRGaH8U4IaIzD5Tr5z01KAbkZvQ74jJ4j2pxLxniLsmqXnUmWPPCCsQPodKop7NbGxDimoHh5TTmSYwjmfJj75tYUrFBijBRUE3eZFcMNW_DcPCWAji66JIUDqM1C2VnPnJ69fjdF91UAsv9MMwlfB3NP4LCx5fN5INfcMMCQFJzDDckkhL8jmNpvOpmXIDeAJl6a3SRs2XMczigtLwmEgjDYiyCK_Fq2q7_jYzt5f5maK1TlrNseeHcFTk2ODUxM39lt_=w640-h340-s-no
And my Express 5:25 got me to sell my DRRI. I believe that the Express cleans are based on the Lone Star.

I think you're right about the Lone Star clean circuit finding it's way into other Mesa amps. I believe the FAT clean on the Mark V is one example.
And it's claimed the Express Series Plus is also LoneStar based. I guess you simply have to listen to the amps in comparison.

My Roadster has the best full bodied clean tone that I’ve ever heard or played. I use CH1 tweed, and get the channel as loud as possible without clipping. Absolutely love it.

Here’s a clip of my Roadster’s clean tones.

[edit] That is recorded into an older Zoom DAW, using Mesa Cab Clones. There is no post processing, straight from the Cab Clones into the DAW, no EQ in the DAW. It is a stereo rig using two Roadsters.

As I wrote above my Express 5:25+ has that great blackface clean that I love but now have just added a Quad Cortex to the studio and using a Lonestar model as my base default. It sounds GREAT. Have used the QC to capture some of my pedals, amazingly simple to do and bang on captures, and plan to do my Express today.

The F series and the Mark IIB are known to have good cleans. For myself if I really want cleans I prefer a Fender Twin.

Love the Fillmore series clean .I-had two Fender Twins at one time in my life that were known for the clean tones,, This series is enhanced with the added feature of the dirty gain .

Back