Petrucci mod, anyone knows what it is ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djemass

Reaction score
Hi, I heard that there was a special mod on Petrucci's MarkIIC+ head, anyone knows what it is ?

Thanks

Djemass :wink:

where did you here of such mod????

I always thought that JP used stock mesa's,well had all his MKIIc's upgraded to the '+' but I thought that was it really

hmmmm,I wonder if he has????? :?

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45660&highlight=Mark

Here is some discussion regarding this, but I can't verify this as fact.

Gyahahah. That was my question! See? I can be useful!
...sometimes.

But anyway, I believe djemass is asking about a mod specific to Petrucci's amps, whereas I was asking whether his amps are original factory IIC+'s or originally IIC's and modded to IIC+'s

yup....that board is correct. At least that's the opinion I have come to after reading several things regarding that weird knob on the front of his amp. Think of it as a boost knob on a graphic EQ pedal...

He also has his amp modded for more gain, but Mesa has never and will never release this mod. They don't even attest to it existing!

I spoke to Mike B on the phone about this. He told me that it's a "Volume 1" knob to control the input to the gain channel. The factory Volume 1 knob controls the input to the clean channel and the small knob is the Volume 1 for the gain channel. That's why people wonder how JP gets so much gain when his factory Volume 1 is on the low side. Don't know how true it is but that's what he told me.

Elpelotero said:
yup....that board is correct. At least that's the opinion I have come to after reading several things regarding that weird knob on the front of his amp. Think of it as a boost knob on a graphic EQ pedal...

He also has his amp modded for more gain, but Mesa has never and will never release this mod. They don't even attest to it existing!

More Gain !!!! That's effin crazy. The EQ mod is BS and the knob on the front is an alternate volume 1 fot the lead channel. There's more gain in a higher volume 1. I've done the mod and it works exactly as expected. Vol 1 set to 5 for cleans and Volume 1.1 for lead set to 9 and the gain is more saturated. A mix knob can be added to the EQ to set the level to the phase inverter, or a fixed resistor may be used. This I find goofy because the gain the the graphic EQ is almost at prefect unity gain when engaged. I could see lowering the voltage a bit to brown out the transistors and buffer the input and output like a MK IV. I would say that the best mods on the IIC+ are a mid scoop mod, gain boosts and the 20pf/1000pf and the 100K tone stack load are good alternative for those who want a smoother amp. The gain boost mod give it two suble shifts in gain, tone and feel. The mid cut mod sucks another 200hz of the mids and with the bass and treble having a bit more dominance it hollows the tone out nicely and is a dream for EMG's and single coils.

Another beneficial change is using metal film resistors on the 82K and 270K lead channel plate load resistors. The seem to me to add a dimensional charachter to the tone and do not seem as harsh as carbon films. i never understood why Mesa would use metal film for all the plate loads resistors except the leads. I am absolutely nut about my three, but the one with the stock metal film 82K and 270K seems to have an extra sprinkling of black magic.

Someone in the Gear Page post stated that JP had his IIC's upgraded to +'s. I really think they were all C+'s to begin with.

My ultimate advice is to play the amp and stop chasing shadows and rehashing the same old topic.

Boogiebabies said:
Elpelotero said:

More Gain !!!! That's effin crazy. The EQ mod is BS and the knob on the front is an alternate volume 1 fot the lead channel. There's more gain in a higher volume 1. I've done the mod and it works exactly as expected. Vol 1 set to 5 for cleans and Volume 1.1 for lead set to 9 and the gain is more saturated. A mix knob can be added to the EQ to set the level to the phase inverter, or a fixed resistor may be used. This I find goofy because the gain the the graphic EQ is almost at prefect unity gain when engaged. I could see lowering the voltage a bit to brown out the transistors and buffer the input and output like a MK IV. I would say that the best mods on the IIC+ are a mid scoop mod, gain boosts and the 20pf/1000pf and the 100K tone stack load are good alternative for those who want a smoother amp. The gain boost mod give it two suble shifts in gain, tone and feel. The mid cut mod sucks another 200hz of the mids and with the bass and treble having a bit more dominance it hollows the tone out nicely and is a dream for EMG's and single coils.

Another beneficial change is using metal film resistors on the 82K and 270K lead channel plate load resistors. The seem to me to add a dimensional charachter to the tone and do not seem as harsh as carbon films. i never understood why Mesa would use metal film for all the plate loads resistors except the leads. I am absolutely nut about my three, but the one with the stock metal film 82K and 270K seems to have an extra sprinkling of black magic.

Someone in the Gear Page post stated that JP had his IIC's upgraded to +'s. I really think they were all C+'s to begin with.

My ultimate advice is to play the amp and stop chasing shadows and rehashing the same old topic.

the jedi master has spoken.

can we maybe get a schematic and some pics for the alternate vol 1 mod? that would be freakin useful

when i asked petrucci about his amps last december
he said

on the new album hes using marks, and marks only
about the IIc+
he said
they are actually IIc++'s (yes two plusses)
and that mike b. had done some sort of mod to them

thats all he said but

The Schematics are in Jimmy Hoffa's left front Pocket, last seen levitating near Roswell New Mexico :twisted:

Have you heard of a tale that one member on this forum knows of this extra +..No one Speaks of his name.. who would have thought it would have unleashed such demons when this topic was lasted raised and the truth was spoken. Many of us Older folk who were present at that time of great war tend to try and Forget such hardships...

NOTHING more should be say about this MOD...Or we might start a War of the worlds...

And on a serious note when is the new Dream theater ablum coming..sounds like it's going to be a Real hum-digger!

I can't help it. I am infected with the idea of a second vol 1 for the lead channel. AHHH THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!

Dutchman said:
The Schematics are in Jimmy Hoffa's left front Pocket, last seen levitating near Roswell New Mexico :twisted:

No, it's the endzone at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands in Jimmy Hoffa's shoe.

I also do not remember mentioning this mod on a MK III ! :eek:

Schmoog said:
I can't help it. I am infected with the idea of a second vol 1 for the lead channel. AHHH THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!

There is a thread here about modding a III to have an independent R1 treble and volume controls, if you're interested.

Shep said:
Have you heard of a tale that one member on this forum knows of this extra +..No one Speaks of his name.. who would have thought it would have unleashed such demons when this topic was lasted raised and the truth was spoken. Many of us Older folk who were present at that time of great war tend to try and Forget such hardships...

NOTHING more should be say about this MOD...Or we might start a War of the worlds...

And on a serious note when is the new Dream theater ablum coming..sounds like it's going to be a Real hum-digger!

Those guys were dicks. I'm not a philanthopist. When the time is right and I feel 1000% certain that I have hit the mark, I will share the wealth.
I'll give the mods out for free, but you have to call a 1-900 number and answer 42 questions. Russ's Idea. Brilliant !!!! :D

phyrexia said:
Schmoog said:

There is a thread here about modding a III to have an independent R1 treble and volume controls, if you're interested.

well, theres only so much panel space on the mark III. so as I am sitting here pondering mods, I am thinking that for me the best two would be the R2 mod, and a seperate vol 1 for the lead channel. and I can just 86 the direct out and put them there. R2 in general works for me, so a seperate treble and vol control for it doesnt really excite me as much

Since I long ago made up a snake from my pedal board for input, loop, switches and Volume I moved the guitar input and channel switching jacks around back the amp where the totally unused direct out jack and pot were. That freed up two very conveniently located holes on the front for my R2 Master and what is currently a switch for a certain mod. To see the elusive mod so highly sought after here for a seperate (Mk II or III) R1 and Lead Gain controls simply take a look at the Mark IV preamp schematic. There you will find knowledge beyond your wildest dreams.

Latest posts

Back