MKIIB Lead Master -pull bright pot wiring? -1982 RP-9C circuit board (SRG) Serial # 8751

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://cdn.imagearchive.com/boogieforum/data/attach/4/4646-Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IIB-Lead-Bright-cap.png

Yes V3A is the reverb recovery stage the other half of V3B is the gain stage, at the bottom I circled the cap in question and in one of your pics, I seen a 22uf cap, it's labeled 226 a black body cap if that helps.
22uf was used in the previous stages but for the drive, you will get what you are experiencing, bass no treble... Like I said earlier, try a 2.2 if or even .22uf as in the pics you posted last week

22uf was used in the previous stages but for the drive, you will get what you are experiencing, bass no treble... Like I said earlier, try a 2.2 if or even .22uf as in the pics you posted last week
Well it's not posting the schematic for some reason ...

On v2 cathode there’s a silver metal cap next to the black cathode 22uf cap- is that another cathode cap? You can see it in the pics
Greetings! I've been following this. Its been interesting and I've learned A few things. Don't mean to step on Edge59's toes, he is very knowledgeable. But that cap and resistor is just your basic cathode bypass circuit. Its mainly used to bias the tube. And to some degree add gain and frequency enhancement. They can be tweakable but best be left alone. Of course replace if fails. Most if not all preamp circuits have them. But be cautious of cathode follower circuits. They have high voltage present. Blessings.

On v2 cathode there’s a silver metal cap next to the black cathode 22uf cap- is that another cathode cap? You can see it in the pics
Does your amp have Bass Shift? On amps with Bass Shift, when the bass knob is pushed in, the smaller, silver cap (usually .47uf) is the cap that is always engaged, with less bass/mud at higher gain settings, with the bass pulled out, it engages the bigger 22uf cap-more bass... Fuller cleans, lower gain, general rule if thumb, higher gain, less nmbass/mud 😊🎸☕

Greetings! I've been following this. Its been interesting and I've learned A few things. Don't mean to step on Edge59's toes, he is very knowledgeable. But that cap and resistor is just your basic cathode bypass circuit. Its mainly used to bias the tube. And to some degree add gain and frequency enhancement. They can be tweakable but best be left alone. Of course replace if fails. Most if not all preamp circuits have them. But be cautious of cathode follower circuits. They have high voltage present. Blessings.
Agreed, but in his posted pics the cathode bypass cap is a 22uf, too big for a lead bright cap and easily mis-transposed, and cause too much bass/mud. If anyone is not experienced with tube amps, they really should find a tech to work on it and mentioned that there are deathly high voltages there, we cannot stress that enough, so my toes have not been stepped by any means☺️ but I have been trying to help him understand what may be going on with his amp, I have been in these amps over 40 years and know a few things, not everything of course, I'm still learning but love to share what I can especially with those that don't have experience or someone near that can help. I repair and modify various amps and find something new or interesting all the time, and it happens sometimes that a component values gets transposed and gets through inspection, it's happened at the high end electronics companies that I have worked for, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes, especially me 😵‍💫 that 226 22uf cap that is connected to the lead bright switch normally is either a .22. If (224) or 2.2uf (225), 226 (22uf) as in the prevention stages. 22uf is too big a value in the lead bright switch location causing the issue of too much bass, it's no conspiracy by any means ☺️🎸☕

Hey I love the help from you guys - I have built many amp kits and have modded my share of Marshalls and fenders ( still I’m a hack) haven’t spent anytime with a Mesa mkIIB hard to see and trace stuff on the board for me - staring at the schematics and with your help it’s starting to make sense to me- I haven’t had enough time to do the work that I need to do so, I've been asking a lot of questions- hoping this weekend will give me some time - I want to leave pics here and the info from what I find - for the next guy - thanks again I appreciate the time on this

Agreed, but in his posted pics the cathode bypass cap is a 22uf, too big for a lead bright cap and easily mis-transposed, and cause too much bass/mud. If anyone is not experienced with tube amps, they really should find a tech to work on it and mentioned that there are deathly high voltages there, we cannot stress that enough, so my toes have not been stepped by any means☺️ but I have been trying to help him understand what may be going on with his amp, I have been in these amps over 40 years and know a few things, not everything of course, I'm still learning but love to share what I can especially with those that don't have experience or someone near that can help. I repair and modify various amps and find something new or interesting all the time, and it happens sometimes that a component values gets transposed and gets through inspection, it's happened at the high end electronics companies that I have worked for, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes, especially me 😵‍💫 that 226 22uf cap that is connected to the lead bright switch normally is either a .22. If (224) or 2.2uf (225), 226 (22uf) as in the prevention stages. 22uf is too big a value in the lead bright switch location causing the issue of too much bass, it's no conspiracy by any means ☺️🎸☕
Ty my friend! Indeed! We all make mistakes. Boy, I have my share!!! I know a thing or two about amps. And thats about it!! I am no amp tech by any stretch. Theres this member on here that is very knowledgeable like you who has been instrumental in helping me. He is in the process of building kits. Yes, waaaay too bassy. My C+ has a .22 for the pull bright . 🤘👍

Trying to show the the lead master Bright pull pot goes to the .01 orange drop which goes to V4 pin 2 and also goes through a resistor which goes to V4 cathode 22uf - anyone make something of this? on the schematic it shows the pull bright- switching the V2 cathode not V4? im confused HELP LOL - looking at the mkIIC+ schematic it shows the lead bright going to the cathode on V4- maybe my amp is a hybrid?

Attachments

• MIIBV4 cathode cap.jpg
    MIIBV4 cathode cap.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
  • MKIIB switch showing cap path.jpg
    MKIIB switch showing cap path.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MKIIover shot.jpg
    MKIIover shot.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • whole shot MKIIB .jpg
    whole shot MKIIB .jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MKIIB front.jpg
    MKIIB front.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Trying to show the the lead master Bright pull pot goes to the .01 orange drop which goes to V4 pin 2 and also goes through a resistor which goes to V4 cathode 22uf - anyone make something of this? on the schematic it shows the pull bright- switching the V2 cathode not V4? im confused HELP LOL - looking at the mkIIC+ schematic it shows the lead bright going to the cathode on V4- maybe my amp is a hybrid?
Dang, I really, really wish I could help. My years of experience has only been a C + RP11A board. When I view your pics, I get kinda lost.

Latest posts

Back