New Studio Preamp Owner - What took me so long?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxsuper

Reaction score
I Just bought a Mesa Studio Preamp. It's one of the ones that has no inputs on the front. The Serial # is SP087. Anyone know what that might mean as far as how old the preamp is?

I have a Carvin TS100 that I'd been using as the power source for several peices of equipment that I no longer own (Digitech RP500, Line 6 HD500). I was considering putting the amp on E-bay, but decided I'd try an honest-to-goodness, anolog preamp before I sold it.

I looked at the somewhat limited selction out there for new preamps in an affordable price range, and decided to go with the Mesa after reading a number of very positive reviews online.

After taking the time to learn how to use it, (Previous experiences with Boogie stff has been frustrating: Mostly Fender type guy) I'm quite impressed, to say the least. I can get an amazing array of tones out of it, many of which I don't think most people would associate with a Mesa product. I run it into two single 12" cabs: one with a Weber Silver Bell (Ceramic) in a closed back cab, and the other is a Tone Tubby (Ceramic) in an open back cab.

I play in a band that plays about everything except metal and rap, and so I have to cover a lot of ground. I'd been using amp modelers as preamps, but they everntually start sounding rather phony to me. The HD 500 was especially disapointing after all they hype about "realism". I've never quite tried to copy exact amps, so I don't care if a tone is a spot on replica of, say, an AC30: I just want it to fit the tune. We really don't do too many covers so the "exact" replica thing is never an issue.

Every day I discover some new sound and I've learned to take a digital photo of my settings, so I can go back later and recreate them, as it seems a slight turn of a knob can have a big effect.

In any case, I'd like to find out the "tribal knowledge" about this preamp from members of website: what tubes work best with it, and other things like that. I'm realy knew to all things Mesa.

Congratulations on your purchase. The Studio Pre was my first Mesa product too; I now also own a Mark III purple stripe head, Studio .22 combo, and a Rectifier 2x12 vertical cabinet, and in the past I've also owned a Simul 395 power amp, Mark III blue stripe rackmount head (well, I still have it, but trying to sell), and Studio .22+. As far as I'm concerned, the Studio Pre is a magic box. Both the clean and the lead tones are dead-on right to my taste. You can make it sound bad, of course, but I found the settings I like and have been sticking with them for years now. It's versatile, of course, but in your situation I can imagine it maybe not helping so much because you have to tweak substantially to get from one tone to the next. That might be tough in a live setting. Still, I think the Studio Pre is one of the best bargains out there. I like Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissues in mine, but I like those most anywhere, really.

[quote="Whoopysnorp"]You can make it sound bad, of course, but I found the settings I like and have been sticking with them for years now. It's versatile, of course, but in your situation I can imagine it maybe not helping so much because you have to tweak substantially to get from one tone to the next. That might be tough in a live setting.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the tubes, Whoopysnorp. I think that once I get it adjusted to a particular guitar (I have a bunch of radically different ones) I'm only going to have to twist one or two knobs most of the time between songs. I have a few stomp boxes to add to the mix. I've been playing around with a Barber Direct Drive and that gives me four different sounds I can access with just my feet. Plus, I'm amazed at variety that comes from just manipulating the guitar volume controls. I haven't even explored what one could do with the EQ yet, either.

I know it's probably bad form to answer your own postings but I just used the preamp for the first time with the rest of the band and had a few additional observations.

I suppose if one wanted to use all the options in a single tune, the preamp might seem frustrating. But, most of the amps I've used over the years were single channel devices, so this thing seems way more versatile than what I'm used to.

Also, one rarely goes from a pristine rhythm to heavy metal in the same tune. For virtually every tune we played I was able to find both rhythm and solo tones that could be accesses by a single foot pedal or twist of a guitar knob. And I don't have the EQ pedal yet, nor did I play around with the EQ switches. I feel like I've only scratched the surface at this point: and I'm getting some of the best tones I've ever managed to get. I should have bought one of these YEARS ago.

But the main thing is that the preamp/poweramp combination is scalable. With only a few tone control changes, i could get get the same sounds that worked by myself in my garage, but only at a full band volume, at rehearsal. In fact, they sounded even better. Also, they sounded (and felt) real, as opposed to the "almost like the real thing". As an alternative to an amp modeler, (which is why i purchased it) I couldn't be happier.

Both the serial number and the fact that the unit lacks front inputs indicate that your preamp is (more or less) a first production year model.

You don't appear to be concerned about getting a Mark IIC+ tone out of the Studio Pre, but here's a useful tone trick (recommended by either Randall Smith or Mike B). If you want a slightly different (more direct) tone out of the preamp, try running from the Effects Loop send rather than the Main Outs. This bypasses a section of the circuit that imparts a softer character to the tone.

I'll have to try that. I've also heard people say they run a power amp off of the recording outputs, although I have yet to try that.

So you think this preamp might have been made in 1986? Thanks for the info.

I'm afraid this Boogie thing could easily get out of hand.

I'm starting to look at the Mark series Combo amps. I must have something to sell in my garage that i haven't used in a whie?

i am also a new studio owner, i've had it about 3 months now. I LOVE IT!!!!! flat out i am getting the best lead tones ever; how does this amp just sound like its singing so easily? when you turn up the treble its not harsh, aka bees, like other amps; it just keeps getting better. lotsa rich, natural sounding harmonics too, it is a great amp and a lot of fun to play.

it took a while to get used to the clean master and clean gain still effecting the sound while on the lead side, most amps i have used where 2 totally seperate channels but its really not that big of a deal. having 4 gain/volume knobs to factor in just adds more tones you can get.

i tried going right from fx send to the 50/50 after reading about it here.... holy cow that is a cool!!!

the cleans are great on it too which kinda surprised me, really good for some of funky stuff we are doing. also the OD is sweet too, i use a fulldrive 2 and am loving my bluesy/classic rock sounds too. its so versitile and each knob is so sensitive. i love it!!

I've found the Studio Pre really responds well to tube changes. I swapped out the 12AX7's that were in it when I got it and rolled various vintage tubes through it. The difference was unexpected. It went from great with a bit of flubb to OMG is this the same preamp?! I cant over stress the difference, I loved it before, but I quickly heard the character of each tube swap. It was so cool going from an RCA to a Sylvania and hearing the overtones move from one harmonic to another with more or less shimmer. $10 or $20 bux for a good vintage tube is worth its weight in gold to my ears.

After Rolling tubes This is where I landed:

Studio Pre
V1. Input.......... .......Sylvania 12AX7 Tall Grey
V2. Rhy............. .......RCA 12AX7A Short Grey
V3. Lead...................Mesa 7025 STR 12AX7A/ECC83
V4. Main/Rec Out.......JAN Philips 12AX7WA Tall Grey
V5. Rev....................JAN Philips 12AT7WC Short Grey

Here's a thread on my tube rolling experience.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43517&start=0

That should prove useful information. I don't even know what's in mine yet. It sounds so good, I haven't been tempted to mess with it. I've become very fond of the rhythm channel: it's quite interesting to someone who's been primarily a Fender Guy for over 40 years. I sort of expected the lead channel to be great, but the cleans took me by surprise.

It's interesting in that I've discovered that the "Mesa" branded tubes I have work real well in my two 5E3 clones, they seem to be very quiet, have low microphonics and I like how they sound in those amps.

I'll have to open it us and see what's in there.

I'd be curious to know too. I've picked up additional tubes since I rolled the Studio Pre and just rolled through my MKIVa. I had similar results and found an RCA blackplate really matched well in V1 on it. I expect I'll revisit the Studio Pre in a year or so as my desires change and my selection of tubes grows.

It's like a fine woman. She's already pretty, but man what a new dress can do to make her shine...

Latest posts

Back